I Forge Iron

Another step forward!

ThomasPowers

I finally got the easement to allow the electric company to run power to my shop; filled out, signed, notarized, recorded at the county courthouse, and handed in at the Electrical CoOp!

Now comes the part where I start hemorrhaging money...Any money left over goes for powerhammer parts.

When it's done however; I will have 200 amp service for my 20'x60' shop; Swamp cooler in the summer and lights in the winter!  I guess I need to take the shroud off my old tombstone and clean out the dust and cobwebs and decide where the bader goes.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I about flipped when I discovered how much it'd cost to run power from the pole to the shop. 

I'm waiting to see a pics of your shop with lights on and maybe something electrical turning or spinning.

I'm getting kind of excited here.

Frosty The Lucky.

No poles!   I have to pay for 91 feet of 4' deep trench.  When they did the foundation for the "professionally built" half of the shop the ground varied from pure sand to boulders they had to move with a backhoe and that was pretty much at the surface!  Going to be fun to dig 4' down.

Perhaps I'll be able to go in the shop Christmas eve and turn on the lights as my Christmas present!  

Been a long time coming; not much push when I was living 200 miles away; but now with retirement apt to cosh me and take my wallet at any time, I sure want to get it done beforehand.

A bit more costly up front (the cost of the ditch) but wind, rain, falling trees, and most other things will not interrupt YOUR side of the utilities.  The utilities on their side of the pole can still be damaged and your out of power until they get their side repaired.  Be sure to lay in phone lines while the ditch is open.

As this is to my shop; I'm not doing phone; wireless is pretty good out here; perhaps it's because we have a clear sight line to the antenna(s) on the local mountain.

No power poles was a big plus when we decided to buy this place. I think every one else around us has them.  With the winds we get out here; Pole Power can be a bit strange at times.  (We had at least one glitch in power every day last week---battery powered clock in the kitchen!)

Next step is the "call before you dig" folks.

• 8 months later...

So the week before 4th of July holiday I was expecting them to place the transformer, set the meter and tie into the 14KV main line.  But we had a week of rain.  I understand not wanting to stand in a puddle while tieing into the main line. I got a lot of cleaning done in the shop.

The week after we had a storm; but several dry days and still no progress. So today I called the CoOp and asked and was told that the person who was supposed to identify the underground main line was having trouble getting a fix on it and the crew didn't want to dig when they didn't know EXACTLY where the line was---lots of red paint on the ground out by the street!  (They use a service to mark underground stuff.)

Now I'm told that Monday, someone from the CoOp and a supervisor from the marking company are supposed to get together and figure it out;  I hope this carrot isn't a turnip!

"The Mills of the CoOp grind slowly; but they grind exceedingly coarsely!"

I am a bit concerned as I'm in a rural area and there should NOT be a lot of underground utilities---no natural gas for instance and most people around me have utiliuty poles bringing electricity to their houses.  Ah well; perhaps the secret bunkers of the Illuminati  will be found! Perhaps the fabled caves of Innsmouth West will be unveiled! Perhaps the workshop of Baron Dr von Frankenstein will be discovered! Perhaps they will put new batteries in their detectors and find the power to my shop!

Lol! That last one is probably the most far fetched! Also you should forge them up some witching wands because they don’t use batteries! 

I live out in the country side and I didn’t think any lines where here either until the rural water Dept informed me I had a 8”water main passing through my place, and fiber optic and natural gas are directly across the from me. 

It's funny but I actually own the paved road; at least it's on my side of the property markers and there is an easement allowing folks passage (and I don't think they lowered the property taxes when they put it in!)  

We don't have gas and I don't believe there are any fiber optic cables.  There are oldschool phone cables; but I don't know of any active lines anymore---I used to be on slow dialup when we moved here 17 years ago.  Electricity and water are the active ones I know of.  Wish I could take time off Monday and be there for the discussion...

There is an alleyway, unpaved, along the west side of our lot leading back to the other houses that were built on the original "family land" of the Vigil's. It has an easment on our property too. NM has some "interesting" properties that go back to the original Spanish Land Grants that were "grandfathered in" when NM became part of the US; but luckily I'm not on one!

Kinda the same thing here in eastern Oklahoma, you gotta be careful sometimes buying land because there’s a lot of patches that technically still belong to the tribe not the individual trying to sell it, and even if your a member of the tribe doesn’t give you 100 percent rights. Definitely have to make sure that the land has a clear title at the land office before buying anything. 

These days, it seems that a lot of folks are buying homes off the internet, sight unseen, often with unpleasant surprises.  Buying land sight unseen is like playing Russian Roulette with 4 cartridges in the cylinder!

4 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Maybe their witching wands are broken? 

I used to be very skeptical regarding dowsing until my wife made a believer out of me. She has located a water leak in our underground supply line from the well house to the house a distance of about 50 feet. She hit it dead on and saved me a whole lot of hard digging. Another time she found a set of keys that I had dropped somewhere between the house and shop in deep grass & leaves. I had looked for them a couple of days with no luck. Too bad we aren't closer, I bet she could find that line in a matter of minutes.

You're REALLY testing me Twisted guy! I dearly LOVE a straight line and just the thought of you never watching someone doing it is an almost unbearable temptation! 

I've had great results with a couple straightened coat hangers bent in an L. I know how to do it but not how it works.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well they are supposed to go out with the "good people" and find it today; but of course we have a flash flood watch going on after lunch.  I wonder if their detectors can detect power lines when they are dead, like the 9 hours without power we had Saturday night?

They should, the electric company guys here don't need lines to be energized to locate them. They might've been busy getting your power back on though.

The way the weather is kicking on you it might be a while before they have time to do hookups. I'll keep the positive waves coming.

Frosty The Lucky.