I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

3 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

Mom want's a dog, dad does not want a dog,  so they'll compromise.... and get a dog. that's how things roll 'round here, anyway. ;)

Not around my place! I wear the pants in the family.... and she told me I had permission to say that too:lol::D

@Jasent I'm glad things went better today. Makes things a lot more enjoyable. I cant wait to see the tongs when they are completed!

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Pupmaster said:

Just don't try to beat the size of Tc2's letter opener... it can't be done. ;-) Nice work. 

Oh, You should've seen the letteropenosaurus I made when I was starting out!

Update: I took it out of the vinegar and wire brushed it. Man, I will be doing this again fore sure! Thunbs up for the vinegar if you want to make small things "real nice and shiny like".:) I did go ahead and take a torch to the handle and give it a bass brushing. 

I'm trying to figure out where this fall's between artistic and sloppy. Sloptisic??:rolleyes: It'll definitely be fun to play around with a few more of these.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, GrumpyBiker said:

I had an hour before my wife would have dinner on the table so I only got this to the halfway point.

It took you an hour to drink half a beer?  You should try harder! (grin)  Nice opener.  Next project should be a cork screw for her bottle of wine for when you make dinner, that will make you VERY popular if you know what I mean.  

Did a couple more of the usual bull camp oven lifters from 10mm square bar and then decided to try one out of lighter 8mm stock (2nd from right). It turned out OK so I'll do more of those  and call them billy lifters. The hat hook (right) is also from 8mm square. Only 2mm down from the standard size I use for these things, but the reduction in time is considerable.

bull lifters.JPG

bulll hook 8mm.JPG

@C-1ToolSteel, if you put a very slight bevel on all the edges of each strand before you braid them (either with a file or with the hammer), that would both look and feel better. Those ends do look like they're going to snag on something, so you could either round the very ends (if you want to keep them sticking out) or tap them towards each other so they don't stick out. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could forge weld them back together!

Nice letter opener! The blade is well shaped and symmetrical. I like the braiding idea ... what was your starting stock? I'll guess at 19mm x 6mm.

Thanks! That would be a great size to start with, but I actually started with 1/2" round due to lack of options... I made a new one today starting with 3/8" square which was a better choice.

next time try to split the ends with a hut cut instead of a cut off wheel.;)

Life's too short, bro!:rolleyes:

@C-1ToolSteel, if you put a very slight bevel on all the edges of each strand before you braid them (either with a file or with the hammer), that would both look and feel better. Those ends do look like they're going to snag on something, so you could either round the very ends (if you want to keep them sticking out) or tap them towards each other so they don't stick out. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could forge weld them back together!

That's a good Idea. I actually did take a hammer to the corners of the one I made today, and I like the way it turned out. As for rounding the ends, I actually rounded them very slightly, but you can't really see it in the picture. As for the forge welding idea, I was thinking the same thing. I decided to go ahead and accept the challenge... I'll post a pic tomorow, after I take it out of the vinegar and add the final touches!

Completely ruined the tongs I was working on. Turns out the tire iron did harden in water just needed to be a bit hotter.  Finished drawing out the reins and was about ready to punch when I got called to dinner.  I put them in the slack bucket and shut down the forge. After dinner I fired it back up and went to mark my boss for the punch at cherry and they both cracked!  Lesson learned. :(

Took it out of the vinegar and wire brushed with steel, Then did the brass brush. I figured out that thinking "diagonal" rather than "vertical" helps a lot with braiding steel! That, and using a torch...:ph34r: 

I may use a torch and angle grinder, but I'm not cheating, as long as I'm the one making the rules!

image.jpeg

Looking pretty darned nice C-1! I was just looking at a site about braids, maybe posted here I don't recall. I'm seeing lots of cool things to play with. Say twisting the strands, to start with. Your finial hook is very pleasing to the eye.

Well, time to go back to organizing the wood shed for winter's new stock. Older drier wood goes up front for starting fires. And I have to finish nailing up barriers to keep them from leaning the stacks against the outer walls. 

Better get going, this exercise stuff is for the birds! :o

Frosty The Lucky.