• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

thinking about mixing corn with the charcoal and see how that works

Have you used corn before? It's like bituminous coal in that it needs to "coke". I'm not sure how it would work just mixing it with charcoal. It might smolder until it cokes up properly. 

Definitely post an update after you've tried it. I'm curious as to how it goes. 

Pnut

We also have St. Francis, my old lady is a manager at one. She runs the antique store. She found me a Zippo with the "Shop Smith" logo on it. If i dated the Zippo right it is late 60's, 68 or 69, from there. She keeps an eye out for anything i can use but not much in the way of old tools and such come in. 

I have not been following to close and not sure why we are talking about flat ware, but cheap flat ware can be had at the Dollar General also. I think it is mostly just cheap stainless stuff but that is where we bought it at when i was a boy scout to take camping. They may not have them in Canada but i am sure ya'll got something akin to a dollar store. 

Mr. M.J.L.,

Th Salvation Army has thrift throughout Canada. They are just like the Goodwill stores. 

The Roman Catholic Church runs similar stores.  They are called Saint Vincent de Paul. They have many stores, in the U.S.A.  and Canada.

Google  "thrift stores Canada" . and you may find other such enterprises.

Good luck with your search,

SLAG.

Made a little Forge Buddy on Monday.  3/4 square and 1/2 round.  Pretty straightforward after the Anton Yakashev figure the NWBA demonstrated in November, and I spent most of December completing.  This makes for 6 or 7 figurative projects since lockdown started (and forge access has been 15 feet out the back door all day!)

ForgeBuddy.JPG

AYhot.JPG

Michael- Please don't be offended by this. For me, it's a compliment in every sense of the word. He looks a bit like a Kerbal from Kerbal Space Program. Except his eyes are concave, not frighteningly convex. Ok, not that much, but still gave me a chuckle to think about. 

Today I retried mokume... didn't end up exactly how I wanted, as I know I have some cold shuts, and only ended up with 7 of my 12 quarters, but it's a start. I need to sand it a bit more and polish, but does anyone have any suggestions on coloring? I was going to just let it color itself through the air or use ammonia and salt, but I thought I should ask.

IMG_5256.jpg

Well after work yesterday I was going to run out to the shop and Oil my new spike lifter with BLO and rack it; but my wife ended up buying firewood and I helped unload and stack it till after dark.  I did however get in contact with the electric CoOp about getting power to the shop so that should start progressing again!!!!! I don't want to put off my retirement just to meet my "get power to the shop before I retire!" goal.

ThomasP i have fire wood to do as well my family gets our 8x20ft flat deck with 4ft plywood sides loaded with 16in chunks with a processor in under 1 hour then we bring it home and take 5-10 hours unloading it depending on who all helps how many large trees went in etc. we are currently around 1/3 done this trailer and it will last the rest of this winter and some of next

11 hours ago, twigg said:

Michael, I love your forge buddy. I want to do one too, but I know if I did I'd start talking to it while I forge. :blink:

As long as you don't lose too many arguments, I think you're good.

Chimaera-he does look a lot like Kerbal Space creatures, Bug eyes would be great, hard to do by punching, maybe rivets? Been trying to figure out a forged Dalek (nerd alert) and those have a lot of 'frighteningly convex' shapes.