I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Arkie,  Thanks  it is amazingly comfortable..  I posted up a thread here on IFI on the flat build..   Please do and post back pictures to the thread page.. I'd love to see what you come up with.. 

How did the split ring come out?   There is a thread on here to..   JHCC , and hiker johnson have been nice enough to post back to the appropriate threads with photo's and experiences using the process  which I think is very helpful for others and for myself as then it helps me to fine tune the videos and information.. 

here is the latest..    Still have a little file work to do.. But it is finish forged..  I'm only showing handles as I have 4 or 5 more variations to show..   This will be a "How to video".. 

20190315_174530.jpg

20190315_175242.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC , and hiker johnson have been nice enough to post back to the appropriate threads with photo's and experiences using the process

I haven’t done the split ring, but I have made a number of pairs of split-rein tongs. 

Quiet time for visitors to the forge lately, so I have been building up the supply of longhorn lifters for when the winter tourist season kicks in. February and March are our slowest months but things will pick up after Easter as the weather cools.

Got a few ready:

a lot of lifters.JPG

9 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

That right there is some mighty fine work..    I be thinking you got making these under control.. :) 

Thanks, Jennifer. Yes, the first one (many years ago) took me all morning, Now I can knock them off in half an hour, or 45 minutes if you have to stop and explain the steps when doing them for demos. They are good demo pieces because there are so many different processes involved - splitting, bending, twisting, drawing out, punching etc. I often get the kids to turn the forge to heat the middle twist section where they are not likely to melt the horns off. Parents like to take videos of that.

Alexandr: Is that a regular way to hold firewood in Russia? In the USA we typically hold it laying flat. Not everybody of course but that's the way I usually see it.

I don't know what else I can say about your chandelier I can't think of another way to say beautiful. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

How did the split ring come out?   

Jen, I posted a photo of the split ring trivet in your thread on 12/13/2017...you commented on it.  It was fun to make, albeit a challenge. The thickness depended on the location of the end holes, as I recall, and that's probably where I got off track.

1/4" roundbar. Started out with "roughly" a 6' section. I really should have measured from the start but just went at it. From the 3 matching cutoffs laying by the forge :rolleyes: it was either 5'4", 4'7" or 4'3". Ugh. Sorry I didn't measure. Safe bet is start with atleast 5'6", or 6'. Any of those cutoffs might not have been it.  I'll be sure to measure on the next one for my own records. 

Continued work on the vise restoration/rescue. Managed to get the screw mechanism out, and quite pleased at the shape the threads are in. 

4535EA5A-5DF3-460A-A78B-EEEF189266EF.jpeg

The two big cast pieces (the base with its jaw and the movable jaw on its slide) are still stuck together, so back in the electrolyte bath they go. 

C5195A42-9B2E-4ED3-849F-B6C8110A75B0.jpeg

That is Dad’s shop. Mine is some what more rustic. With it being 300 yards down the road, their hasn’t been a lot of need for more.  Thus the portable nature of the forge. 

Other than the consumables it’s all salvage. Even the JABOD tuyere and blower was recycled int I it. Bed fram, implement axles, expanded metal a budy used for a grill (I have 4 grates from gas grills so I didn’t need it) salvage underground utility access plates and some 1/4” plate. 

Nit needs furniture and a stack but it’s usable as is.