I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Im not trying to leech from your doodle but it could be a fluke.    Nice rose. 

Kevin, I like the cattails, are they forge from solid stock or pipe and added to the forged stock? 

The hooks nice Arthur. What kind of chisel are you trying to use in the leaf veining? A slightly curved dull chisel works well for me. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks das, I was feeling a little sluggish so I didn't do the background. Will finish it up tonight or when I can spare a few minutes here and there. It's nice getting to practice a little hammer control without having to fire up the forge.

That looks great JLP. Is that one going to have a video too?

I like your repousse doodle Shabumi, it looks a lot like a Cambrian fossil. Aluminum gets brittle fast when it work hardens anneal more often. Make a streak on it with charcoal and heat till it disappears. Or lay a piece of white card stock,  match book thick and heat till it browns. I don't recall if making a Sharpie mark disappear works.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I did the ivory soap trick, when it turns black it's ready, or so I've been told. I went back and finished the background. I expected to reanneal with the texture, but I managed to get everything done on the first go with no more trouble than the first breakthrough. I was surprised how quickly the texturing went too.2095594592_IMG_20190325_2022175222.thumb.jpg.d4c678a068473d7ee8269ad1fbacad51.jpg

Jennifer, that is the most intriguing basket twist handle I have seen.  Your "Ah' says it all.  I have no idea how you achieved it and I don't want to know. I'll just admire the finished piece and wonder.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, Daswulf said:

Kevin, I like the cattails, are they forge from solid stock or pipe and added to the forged stock? 

Pipe swaged down and brazed to round stock. I first tried mig welding but the braze adds some color that i like.   I like your guitars. I play drums but imagine doin a scap art drum set ugh!

Well, a full scale scrap drumset is possible but would have to find somewhere to be,  and Heavy to move. A scaled down version wouldn't be too bad. :)

Back in the not too distant past when I was still playing in a band we played a show at Peabody's in ohio and one of the groups had all kinds of scrap and junk they would play or beat on adding to the percussion. I really liked it and hadn't seen anything much like that before. The band was Skeleton Key. 

Jlp, it was a 6in square. All my doodles tend to turn into creatures... sci-fi, fantastic, or real. I generally didn't set out to draw anything in particular. I start with a few random lines and see what  comes from it. I immagine that's how scrap artists like das and aus start their sculptures.

My grandfather taught me this exercise to me to help "see" things that weren't there. Start by closing your eyes and drawing 3 lines... Straight, curved, curly, long, short, single, or crossed, doesn't matter. Before you open your eyes, decide what it will be a drawing of, then open your eyes and MAKE the lines work for your idea. Sometimes it would be pretty abstract, other times it would meld nicely. After a while of making the lines into what I wanted, I began to see what the lines wanted me to draw instead. He was a wood carver, and this was his way of teaching me how to "read" the material I was working. I never was any good at carving, but the exercise has stuck with me with my doodles, and now hopefully with the metallic arts.

Das, I just saw the frame question. I never thought to frame it, but it is a good idea. Now to find the right material for it

I either start with an idea or a piece that gave me an idea. It doesn't always end up what I thought it would. Then sometimes it turns out better than I planned. I used to doodle a lot but literally have little time anymore. Ugh, Im trying to find time to sketch up ideas for some faux window shutters for a commission.