Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Eventlessbox said:

Finally got around to fitting a new handle to my hammer. Broke the old one last forging session. Not sure how but I managed to get a super solid fit without having to wedge the end. 

Wedge it anyhow.. You will find it will loosen and come off when you least expect it.. 

An eye usually is setup with a hour glass shape in the eye so it is designed for a wedge to expand the handle into it.. 

Hammers originally were straight punched and they had bars welded inside the eyes so they could be nailed to the handle.. 

Made a little headway on another less paul guitar. Really want one for the sales table at an event coming up. 

Neck, headstock and knobs are not welded up yet. The saw blades and gears are tack welded together but just set on the body frame yet. 

20190322_231155.thumb.jpg.13a6d1bfba76f87e753ffba1159df336.jpg

Got a little messed up from the getgo setting things to weld the underside and wanted the bigger saw blade to be the knob base but added a piece and the knobs will fit fine. 

First success at tongs/pliers. I've made few from kits via Ken's custom iron, but haven't been successful with making my own entirely from stock until now. These were made from 5/8" square mild, intended for random thin stock. 20190322_180414.thumb.jpg.47c5428ad1635438e8c409caaa73f0bf.jpg20190322_180427.thumb.jpg.c91eb1ac3695ed717823d1dc652846b2.jpg

moments earlier:

20190322_124022.thumb.jpg.6d48d54721f389e8206138f9bf63e26a.jpg

While working with our 40+ year old metal cutting bandsaw, the pot metal handwheel for the vise broke. I looked on the internet and found a bunch that would work but good grief you would think they were made of gold, from $20.00 to as high as $100.00+ U.S. I thought to myself "self you can make one". I found a ring with a set screw that fit the shaft in our resource bin and forged the bar, welded them together. Took me about a half an hour and it works like a champ.:)

100_2034.thumb.JPG.58c37103a7057709fba4991fb5bbfb5e.JPG100_2033.thumb.JPG.21c756396978608f51f0134ad1811fa9.JPG

Great work on the vice, John. There is satisfaction in giving new life to something like that.

Das, that guitar is coming along well. Do you anneal those saw blades before welding? I use them occasionally in sculptures but I find them hard to weld; they want to go brittle and snap. A slow cool in the forge seems to help.

I'm still at work on the crocodile … another month or two yet.  Only problem is I'll need a crane to shift it. ^_^

49 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

John, thats a nice big vise. It should serve you well. Time to make a Heavy duty work bench?

Might see about welding up a mobile stand. I’m not sure where I could fit a workbench into my corner of the garage. 

Aus, I just had at them. There will be a couple points of contact each. I'll give them a little tapping each to see if they want to crack but no problems so far. They tend to want to warp when I heat them up too much so I've been leaving them as is. Now if it were something more structural that would be a different story. 

Really looking forward to seeing progress on the croc. You have enough great old scrap there that you should be able to weld up a small crane easy. :D