• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The shop rule (pun intended) is that the ruler used to measure the length is the same ruler used when cutting the length.  Rulers may not be the same length. 

Glass thermometers may not read the same temperature either. I ordered 3 high dollar glass thermometers and insisted that all 3 matched.  They had to open and test 6 thermometers in order to get 3 that matched the same temperature.

Then there was the day we made an entire project using a stick (tree branch) from the front of the shop as a measuring device. Just squared off the end to have a place to start, then made a mark on the stick where the length fell.  One of the few projects that was built with NO dimensions, and no length to record. When the project was completed and they ask what to do with the stick? Save it in case we have to make the same project again. (grin)

Finished up some wall hooks today, they had been sitting around in the exposure and rain for about a year. 

Then this sweet box of joy arrived today. I had been wanting a new apron for the last 6 or so years, my old one was long before I even attempted forging. Its served well, and continues to. I only had two complaints, one was the split hide. It loves to vacuum up grinding dust. The other was the neck strap, pretty annoying on a warm sweaty day. 

The new apron is from Forge-aprons and made from water buffalo. Very soft and slick. This is my first time with an apron that uses the cris cross straps, and boy what a huge difference in feel right away. The extra sizing around the chest should help more with wire wheeling, I've had several scenarios, where the wire flies off and gets embedded in my shoulder/chest area that the apron didnt cover. 

20190307_191002.thumb.jpg.5cf15b58b9b7712215c9f9516cd4abf8.jpg

On 3/6/2019 at 4:37 AM, JHCC said:

And let’s not forget the Mars Climate Orbiter that burned up in the Martian atmosphere because NASA engineers didn’t convert pounds of force to newtons for the software controlling the thrusters. 

And the Gimli Glider, the Air Canada 767-200 that fueled up in lbs. but needed Kilos.

DRATS! I should've read to the end of the thread before posting, the Gimli Glider's already been mentioned. Unfortunately every time I do read to the end I forget what I was going to say. 

TREE! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

Ben, if you can see progress in each of your projects that is what's important. I'm trying to get a little better with each process I undertake. Practice, practice, practice. Progress not perfection is what I look for right now. 

I also am in the early stages of learning

Finally stopped raining so got to go outside practice on some

railroad hooks, I have a lot of railroad spikes & scrap metal so I

can keep trying different projects, that's why I joined here to soak 

the info.

IMG_6146[1].JPG