• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished up a set of sconces for my grandmother's 86th birthday. Took some advice off of some guys on here awhile ago and formed all of the scrolls freehand. Took a little longer but I'm happy with them. Used a copper leaf pen to add a little color in to the mix. 

IMG_20180819_145425557_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20180819_184414416_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180819_184423725_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180819_184439832_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180819_184502816_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Thank you for that simplistic idea Thomas.

Thomas is a master of simplistic ideas. :rolleyes:

Did you rework that hammer handle or did you make it from scratch, Jenifer? It looks comfortable. Nice hammer, how's it work?

Very nice sconces Dave, the freehand lends a little individuality so they don't look machine made. She's going to love them. 

Beautiful crucifix Spanky, good use of salvage. Taking all those things into account I think we can let you slide on the lack of iron. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Back when I did a little woodwork I just took the piece I wanted to insert and traced it where I wanted it. Then I would chisel out "inside" the line to around its depth, then a lot of test fitting and carving the edges to get as close a tight fit as possible, then glue in the piece. It doesn't always Have to be perfection. :)

AAAiiEEE !! ,

SIMPLISTIC  does not mean simple.

It means "treating complex issues and problems as if they were much simpler than they really are.

As in ignoring complications or complexities".

I normally do not correct spelling and grammar, on this site. Others, here render a good service,  in that department.

But that misuse, to me,    sounds  like scraping nails on a blackboard.

Noisome does not mean noisy.

I have said my peace, I rest my case, I comment no more.

Regards  Folks,

SLAG.

Frosty, the hammer handle was made from scratch..  I was able to run it for about 30minutes today.. I made a few nails and did some more work on a thumb latch order.. 

It swings really nicely and when peening its really powerful..  It will take a little bit of getting used to it.. the face is very large with the sq shape so working at the anvil on the diagonal will be a learning curve but it's something I knew about going into it.. 

It will take me about a week of working it to figure out whether it truly makes the cut or not..   With that said.. It sure is pretty.. :) 

48 minutes ago, SLAG said:

AAAiiEEE !! ,

Goallllllllllllllllllll !  :lol: I was expecting a rise out of Thomas maybe but . . . Fingernails on a blackboard?!?! was more than I hoped for, you've made my day Slag. THANK YOU SIR!

Jennifer: (I REALLY need to write your name somewhere I can never remember how many ns)  I love my slab handles but they're straight tapers and pretty stiff. The concave profile on yours looks whippier, a typical farrier thing. I'll have to give that profile a try and see. What kind of wood did you use? 

Yeah, it takes time to get used to a square faced hammer. Mark (metalmangler) talked me through making a square faced rounding hammer and I was surprised how long it took to get used to it. I ended up putting more radius on the edges to reduce unwanted marks. It's similar to having a straight edge on a hardy, top cut, veiner or chasing chisel. 

Frosty The Lucky.

As always, beautiful work from all who have contributed here:) Here is my work for the day. Not as elegant or complex as the posts made here, but I am learning as I go. Practice on tapers was the theme today. And in case anyone doesn't know how wonderful Glenn is ( which I'm sure you all do), let me tell you he is. He has the heart of a teacher and I'm thankful he's here.

image.jpeg

Well, I try to improve my word usage even going back and adding a comma here and there, or looking up words (sometimes) that I question myself on the spelling of. Mistakes get through though, and that is certainly not one I'd have noticed. 

Sorry for the nails on a chalkboard feeling but to me words, like many things in blacksmithing, sometimes close enough is good enough to convey the idea. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Back when I did a little woodwork I just took the piece I wanted to insert and traced it where I wanted it. Then I would chisel out "inside" the line to around its depth, then a lot of test fitting and carving the edges to get as close a tight fit as possible, then glue in the piece. It doesn't always Have to be perfection. 

I’ve done a similar thing before, used a router to channel it out.  Worked quite well, but I’m interested in learning how to include molten metal, poured in.

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

So what is the definition of "simplistic", my frozen friend?

Oh you got it right I'm sure. It sounds right, that's how I use it. I was just picking up a wonderful straight line offered by Das and taking advantage to needle both him and Thomas. Then you come along with fingers on a chalk board to ice my punnish little soul cake. :D

It's a WONDERFUL time to be alive! :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

Some days you just feel like using then and than, and their and they're wrong to see who gets upset. 

Sit, set and sat? 

Haha, no, I didn't use simplistic on purpose to harm any ones brain. I should have just used simple solution.....

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

You mean you didn't hook it to a foot switch and just hose clamp the trigger?

That would require owning or purchasing a foot switch.  As I try to be cheap if at all possible I’m settling for the Irwin strap wrench.  It’s works fine.  I can adjust speed on the toggle on the trigger.

3 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Well, if we’re going to be pedantic, what Spanky made there is a cross, not a crucifix. A crucifix by definition has the body of Christ affixed to the cross. 

And that’s the crux of the matter. 

DARN! Nailed that one John. It's supposed to rain for another 2-3 days and for some silly reason I'm in a really good mood. So much better than being crotchety. eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

No rise from me; I figured the word choice was on porpoise from someone who is all wet anyway...

As for being crotchety---we talking fillet or Tutankhamen? (I hope none of y'all are into boomstick crotchety!)

We used to play a game where we tried to use all the wrong terms but still convey meaning, I'm sure Claude Shannon would have been itching to give us all a dope slap...

I generally design for stuff I have to hand or remember being at the scrap yard  Foot switches are one of those real handy things to have on the shelf and after seeing how SOFA hooked up their blowers so new folks didn't waste as much coal or destroy as much metal I was impressed and kept an eye out for them.   (Set so you had to keep a foot on it to keep the blower running---when you go to the anvil or to the bathroom the blower stops.  Theirs also had an over ride for folks a bit more skilled that may have needed a large hot fire for welding or large stock.)