I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Das, I like it. There’s certainly no confusing what it is. A couple of weeks ago, Pinecone and I were playing in her room when she asked “what’s this?” and grab something off the floor. It was a scorpion, it stung her. There was surprisingly little crying before she said she hates scorpions and went to “help” The Lady cook dinner. Ordinarily, I forbid her to say hate but I felt she was justified. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my Ben, yeah. I'd hate them too. Luckily I don't see them or deal with them. Certain people have seen my other ones and want similar. Wow do they seem dangerous. Heck I've heard that the smaller they are the more dangerous.? Any merrit?

This one is for a brother to a brother and a guy that will get me forge stock so worth my best. Still i feel i could always do better.

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

. Heck I've heard that the smaller they are the more dangerous.? Any merit?

They say that here too, Das. The little flat yellow/brown things that hang around tree roots are supposed to be worse than the big guys. I have never been stung by a scorpion so I can't verify that.

Your scorpion sculpture is fantastic - as always. I like the way you have segmented the body and the backward slope on the legs is realistic. I'm sure your Tommy Gun buyer will like it. The big scorpion I did a few weeks ago is now at the work forge and it gets lots of photos every day. Kids like to sit on it and hold the nippers like handlebars.

The other larger scorpions I used rebar for the back segments, this one I used crank shaft bearings. They had some nasties (tin and zinc) and needed cleaned up before I could use them. 

Oh I bet they are loving your huge scorpion. Keep it up and you can have a whole park of scrap critters. :)

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Finished up the scorpion tonight other than

Looks great Das. I LOVE tig it's gas welding with an electric flame. if you want to hide the welds better try welding the chain on the inside of the links, on the inside of the curves.  A person will have to look for the welds not just notice them.

Grumpy: If you close your pan almost completely, visualize a sphere with a small keyhole opening and a little pour lip/spout it makes a great spot dipper. You fill it by submerging it in a bucket or slak tub. I use a little straight spout watering can I bought years ago, it's downside is having to get too close if the piece is very large, the steam can really SMART.

Frosty The Lucky.

Das,

The rule of thumb for potential deadly scorpions is NOT small body size.  The size of the claws is a better tell for their venom's toxicity.

One of the most toxic scorpions is the death stalker. We found them in the middle east and north Africa. That creature is 1.2 to 3.5 inches long. (hardly small).

Only about 20 species of scorpions are considered deadly from about 1,000 plus different species.

In America, the bark scorpion is the main villain.

Check out a picture of a common scorpion and notice the stinger of the telson looks like a comma, instead of a straight lance.

Oh, by the way,  you did a great job sculpting the beast.

SLAG.

p. s.  about 40 years ago, arachnologists discovered that scorpions glow greenish-blue under a u.v. lamp. (= black lamp).

Mr. Zrognak,

Look on the bright side.  You got two blades for the price of one!

Regards,

SLAG.

2 hours ago, Zrognak said:

I made this today ha ha.

Just needs practice. Quenching is a whole bunch of skill sets of it's own. A large area thin blade like that is a bit ambitious. Hmmm?

This should've shown up in my other post of a couple minutes ago. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Good point on welding it on the inside but I'll need to get a little better with the TIG first. 

Thanks for the info Slag. My spot in the world is scorpion free ( unless they are someones pet.) So I never really researched them other than to look up some images. I had watched some youtube videos of a metal detector guy that went spotting them with a blacklight in the desert. Pretty wild how they glow like that. 

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Just needs practice. Quenching is a whole bunch of skill sets of it's own.

Indeed you live and you learn, just testing cause I wanted to see how thin i could make it just made it a bit too thin for my heat treating abilities, It was meant to be a versatile seax chef knife never forged a thin blade like this before. But its all good only 1 hour lost, and it was fun :)

The large area makes getting it all under the quenchant as quickly as possible important. ESPECIALLY if it's not of even and smooth thickness. 

Enjoying learning and having fun making mistakes is a special gift. Congrats, enjoy the journey. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Ranchmanrben, Nice hammer.. Well done..  Wrought iron is fun and it shows and tells its own story vs steels..   I should be able to get my hammer finished forged tonight or tomorrow..   Demo's at New Englands oldest traditional fair in Hardwick, MA..  Opens 4pm today till about 10pm and then 9- 3:30pm saturday..   Farmers hours don't ya know.. :) 

JHCC.. nice opener..    Like the handle detail..  How long is it?  

I did get the knife finished yesterday.. But still need to etch the pins again.. Hard to see the detail in them.. 

20180816_154326.jpg

20180816_154338.jpg

Lovely work, as always. Great pattern. 

32 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC.. nice opener..    Like the handle detail..  How long is it?  

Total length is nine inches; the decorative section is three. 

Could take a photo yesterday, as this was still in the hot box, but I also did the forging of a side-cut hardy. Filing and heat treatment await. 

BC27BC44-78F6-4554-A077-877A329CE8E8.jpeg

Starting material was one of the jackhammer bits that LouL gave me on my last visit.

Yeah really nice looking hammer Ben! I once tried a wrought iron hammer, it split in half (almost literally) when I was drifting it. just was working it too cold.

I tried doing that design JHCC that black bear forge showed, and mine got really wonky haha. I made a hand held fuller to do the indentations which worked well, its jus things got all out of shape. I think I'll just put it on a bit of mesquite and sell it as a sculpture. Some wine drinking cheese eating rich person who has an artsy bone in them will like it.

Littleblacksmith 

No, I havent done anything with it yet, I forged it about a year ago. I haven't had a need to forge it back into a bar, and It's not worth salvaging the hammer, it weighed less than a lb.

Littleblacksmith 

Having a spare moment before having to take my son to his guitar lesson, I grabbed some scraps of square tube, an old bolt, and the welder and threw together a new Andy hammer. 

C85537B7-C220-443A-8246-9390346CDC82.jpeg

A wood core as a striking surface and some inner tube rubber for the handle, and we’re good to go.