I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Jennifer: (I REALLY need to write your name somewhere I can never remember how many ns)  I love my slab handles but they're straight tapers and pretty stiff.

2 N's..  :)       I adapted a handle style years ago and it has been my go to ever since.. I do have a few straight tapered but slabbish handles on my vintage straight and cross peens and like them for what they are..  

This particular handle is the same pattern I always use, just octagonal  instead of ovalish..  I wanted a handle that would lock into my hands more so the octagonal shape.. But if I don't like it in a week or 2 I can just remove the corners and it will be exactly the same as my other hammers.. :)  Same shape, length and profile.. All my main forging hammers have the same handle.. 

it might be a farrier thing, but the handle shape was in use 3 years before I became a farrier.. LOL..  Maybe I was a farrier before I was a farrier.. 

I find more serious farriers use a hammer that has very little necking down.. Usually very straight in fact.. The nail driving handles usually have more shape to them..  Might be more slabbish..  The farriers I have seen work do have a tendency to be a little thinner than I like.. I like a handle to fill my hand..   The throat or neck of this hammer might look pretty thin but it's because of the head and I don't like to have an abrupt transition from handle to head.. I like the transition to be almost non existent.. 

I own and use other square faced hammers..  But for the weight the face is pretty large..  2.75lbs with a 1.750 X 1.625 face..  The face isn't completely flat and found it was great to swing with little edge denting or problems related to the square face..  Where I will run into problems is when it comes time to forge a triangle as I do this on the flat of the anvil verses over the edge.. 

the necked down section is probably about 3/4" or 7/8" .. 

There are more pic's with more info on the hammer thread..  https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/59626-wrought-iron-hammer-build-old-school/

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up the HF deadman switch and the on off foot pedal switch when i was still experimenting with how I wanted to operate my forge. The router variable speed with on off won out for what I do, and with my forge, so the others are hanging out for another use. They were not expensive for me at the time so I didnt mind spending the money. 

I picked up the HF deadman switch and the on off foot pedal switch when i was still experimenting with how I wanted to operate my forge. The router variable speed with on off won out for what I do, and with my forge, so the others are hanging out for another use. They were not expensive for me at the time so I didnt mind spending the money. 

45 minutes ago, Reeltree said:

Thx Mr. Olsen,, it wore me out for sure. The # 12 Peddinghaus is nice only issue is the recess cut around the outer edge of the hardy hole,,can't really get a good shoulder set in

What a bogus thing they did with that chamfer..    Wish they would just leave them flat.. 

Build a new pedestal from some scrap metal to put a ventilator/blower right under my shop roof and behind the forges. In earlier days, he stands on a shelf attached to the hard shop wall. After adding the extra noise insulation with foam mats not possible anymore.

Carried out also some measurements by test running the new bigger gas forge regarding:

-heat up time tiles and ceramic beaded blanket 20 minutes

-maximum temperature at the exhaust after 20 minutes at 1835ºF

-heat up time ½ in mild steel square stock in running forge till orange red < 3 minutes

-CO-pollution to room <40 ppm

-heat radiation to wall and roof -acceptable (touchable)

-determine set up parameter pressure propane and pressurized air

After all, very satisfied with the result and the intended swirl and heat spreading in the forge camber at a low dragon breath.

Get lately more and more questions of students and starting smith brothers to assist/teach them how to build their own equipment without to have to rely on suspicious building instructions on YT. Till now I always refer to IFI, but for many applicant is English not his mother tong:(.

Cheers, Hans

DSC00666.JPG

DSC00662.JPG

DSC00665.JPG

I built this hair clasp because my wife was feeling a little left out of the product flow (too many bottle openers for the guys). I didn't really know what I was doing, but I did manage to cob together a functional piece. If I had to do it again I'd make the leaves a little smaller and the loops a little bigger. I also need to get a decent torch, since the leaves took a beating having to be reheated so many times to get the loops right. I used 3/32" rod with the leaves welded on.

uFq2QFQ.jpg

Well done Hans..  I like all you have done.. I hope the neighbor is a little better now..  

Ted, those are great.. I'd wear them.. I might have to make a set myself.. 

And here is what I made in the shop between yesteday and today to test out the Wrought iron hammer build..  The one of the right is the new one.. 

of course i have to get the hammer in there.. :) 

20180823_185811.jpg

I watched the Peter Ross video on building a set of dividers and gave it a whirl. I’m reall happy with my first go but I think it was just beginners luck. Also, the rivet on the other side looks pretty rough. Maybe another dozen tries and I’ll have a pair as good as this one. 

5AC8472B-9BBC-4C0E-86EE-F1A05716EAAB.jpeg

94EC659A-7943-4241-860B-DDE99F2682FE.jpeg

010C5622-85B4-47D9-9BC2-5F51C933759A.jpeg

Here is some recent stuff. 3-d horse head bottle opener (actually a really simple thing to forge), sea horse wall hook (proportions are off, next one I hope will be better), hot chisel, feather wall hook that I actually like, top fuller, and cupping tool. also forged a pair of tongs from a set of blanks I got from Ken's Custom Iron.

Also here is some pics of a photo shoot. I like them.

Littleblacksmith 

Image may contain: outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and fire

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting and hat

Thank you!

Littleblacksmith 

Made a start to build a kiln to burn out my lost wax moulds for the (future) bronze and silver castings.

Use the 55gal oil drum witch followed me home.

Will use him twice, ones as a ‘Bell’-configuration (on a gallows) while burn out the wax (lid attached to the midsection) and also as a ‘top-loader’ (midsection attached to bottom)  to burn ceramic raku, biscuit and pottery for Lisa.

After preparing the shell with all necessary issues (exhaust, burner connectors, wax collector/drain, gallows, mobile trolley) I will insulate them with 2in of rigidized Superwool.

Keep u update with the progress.

Cheers, Hans  

DSC00667.JPG

Howdy howdy fellers and ladies Im back after a long absence. Appreciate all the prayers while I was gone. My wife has been practicing making horse shoe hearts and I actually had a spare moment for a change.... not really I just made the time to get out to the forge and she showed me how to do it. It may not be the purtiest thing but I am stinkin proud of it and my wife for taking out all the hard work for me haha. Thanks for looking yall and if you have any tips theh are very welcome

15352380232805083806891061865333.jpg