I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

There’s a good thread on homemade chaser’s pitch HERE.

Here’s a tip I picked up on the Chasing and Repoussé Facebook group for a backing material that can be easily molded onto the non-working side of your piece, comes right off with needing to be heated, and actually has the intriguing non-Newtonian property of getting harder as it’s struck:

Silly Putty!

IMG_8279.thumb.jpeg.aff057a3af15a454d8b610238750b2f5.jpeg

This is now an indispensable part of my “repoussé on the road” kit, since it can be applied, removed, repositioned, and reapplied at will and without needing a heat gun or a torch. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To touch on that earlier bit, working marble glass at high temps makes it sag, or slump, so if you're looking to keep the shape, as above, do the last bit cold. If worked hot, and you slump glass into a circle, slit, or bezel it looks cool as heck, but with iron it tends to crack as it cools because of the different coefficients of friction, i.e. the iron and the glass contract different amounts or at different rates. Plus if not annealed, the glass often cracks anyway from thermal shock.

This makes for a really cool crazed sort of eye of Sauron effect if you want, but too much and you're risking glass splinters or it falling out of the piece. Copper on the other hand, or even bronze usually works well with it because they have very close coefficients of expansion to glass. Stan, aka trying-it used to play with copper and glass a lot, and he got me toying with it a few years ago before he passed.

Different glasses also have different temps, so some glasses have to be hotter than others. Also, also, just in case I haven't babbled enough, you can slump and even melt at least some glass in a microwave...if you start it with a torch first. NOT OSHA recommended though (i.e. it ain't remotely safe) and can be pretty rough on the microwave.

And for the truly insane...under the power hammer. 

Frosty I was thinking the same thing. That run from glass work room to metal work room with a big blob of molten glass leading the way - it's a recipe for serious injury. 

I think any relatively normal tool oriented person would think the same way!  On the other hand putting 15 or so lbs. of squishy hot glass under a power hammer WOULD be pretty darned irresistible. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Made a hammer for a freind. Came out just under 2#,. Soaking in linseed oil right now, after a few days i will take it to work and test for hardness. Made from 1040, hickory handle. Also made a small cross pein for an iron in the hat at an event i will be attending the end of April. Worked on a couple ideas for a scroll on an upcoming project. This is the one i am liking most.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d9ff597aff2780c8b8c8ca7200b0bb4.jpeg

Looks pretty nice for only being able to see one angle from a distance? Hmmmm?

I don't know about the handle though, I like them to widen gradually from head to the end. It makes them almost effortless to hold onto.

Frosty The Lucky.

Made a template for marking out tryzubi in preparation for repoussé. 

IMG_8400.thumb.jpeg.881223eb69ec5afd8cfe4569f29e3fc5.jpeg

IMG_8402.thumb.jpeg.b600b95bf26ecd066b82deccb11e63a9.jpeg

IMG_8403.thumb.jpeg.92d6b980c346019fa636cc3a5e972baf.jpeg

IMG_8404.thumb.jpeg.367682ac6f68cf965179bebe3e9a4bf2.jpeg

IMG_8405.thumb.jpeg.9365a16fb74fc0740ebfbe24c6f7a53f.jpeg

IMG_8409.thumb.jpeg.6288fb8b9bc61b27b9f30fc72ec72e07.jpeg

Not perfect, but a lot faster than tracing with carbon paper, especially since the original sketch is getting a bit fragile. 

I've never used a tester.  Does it put a ding or dent in the test piece?  Maybe I should look it up.  I'd rather ask you.

And JHCC how did you cut out your template?  Dremel'?  Saw and file?

I can't find my jeweler's saw (I think it may be in my old woodworking toolbox in the basement, but I haven't actually used it in over thirty years), so I punched out most of the holes' area with my little Roper Whitney No. 5 Jr and then cleaned things up with a couple of files. 

image.thumb.png.25ad2feccc01bb040b3bdea44c2a3bc3.png

I was greatly aided in making the straight sides by using the depth stop. Once that's set to punch holes a specific distance from the edge, all you have to do is punch a bunch of them side-by-side and then go over them again to punch out the bits in between. Punching overlapping holes wasn't a problem with this thickness of brass; certainly much easier than trying to make them with a twist drill.

I created the texture with tools made by heating the ends of some steel rods, hammering them against a file, grinding the outside to shape, and hardening & tempering. 

IMG_8424.thumb.jpeg.72ff3fbb19d5c787ead72f393e49f722.jpeg

Here are a few others I made with the same process, although instead of hammering against a file, I hammered them against a rough spot on my shop floor. 

IMG_7725.thumb.jpeg.9bec2bbc17f469058a4e59af3133199f.jpeg

Spent the night yesterday working on more clothes hangers.   I'm playing around with the bodies making them each kinda unique.   Did I mention how much I like my swage block I made from 1 inch square stock?  It's great for making half rounds.  Need to make a few other shapes to pound into it.  Maybe some nice tapers...

Using the shop floor for texture, i agree that is brilliant. 

Made a couple sample pieces for a ranch/butcher place that just opened here. The fork and ladle. 

Also made this Viking ship hook rack. I call it a Viking ship, the scrolled part is the sail and shields, the square bar the boat. That is what it looks like to me at least. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e0d82a8b75093eb09f8c455f03ff2850.jpeg

Edit: i forgot to add that is the scroll i made the other day as a trial, this is what i did with the practice scroll. 

Edited by BillyBones
forgot ssomething