I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

NS, grey and cloudy sounds about par for the course for much of the year in the PNW.  Is Coupeville in the rain shadow of the Olympics like Port Townsend?

Here, it was partly cloudy for the eclipse and about 40 degrees.  Supposed to get into the 60s later in the week.

G

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, although being in the rain shadow here is like ordering an extra dry water. We only had about 20 percent obscurement anyways and with the clouds out, it just got a little bit dimmer. Most of the year I prefer the weather to be bad. It keeps the tourists and the rich yahoos with second homes away.

One of the reasons i like living in Ohio, nobody wants to come to Ohio. 

We had clear skies and i got to see the eclipse quite nicely. Did discover one thing though, my auto darkening welding helmet does not darken when pointed at the sun. Had to get out the old one with just a dark lens in it. 

HAH, I didn't have any of those problems, the closest an edge of the penumbra came to us was about 1,000 miles. It was sure good watching on TV though, some really awesome pics. 

Does anyone out there in Iforge-land know why the solar corona changed colors like that?

Frosty The Lucky.

We got about 60% totality.  Weak sunlight.  Like someone else my autodarkening welding hood did not function but the old, acoustic dark lens one worked just fine.  Saw the 2017 eclipse which crossed Wyoming and the darkness at totality was deep twilight, not full on dark.  We were on the summit of the Laramie Range and could look out into the Powder River Basin and see the area which was still lit up.  Pretty cool.

G

The next total eclipse touching the US is supposed to cross Alaska in March some 20 years from now. No idea what part of AK  though so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't pay close enough attention to the eclipse online to see a color change, but normally the coronas exhibit white light only. But...that said, you may have seen colors from the chromosphere, which tend to look sort of pinkish during an eclipse.

There were a couple of solar prominences (basically a planet-sized NARB) that lit up parts of the corona. 

I haven't seen a single photo that does justice to the majesty of the corona. While the sky was certainly dark, it wasn't completely black (as George notes), and the corona stretched out across several times the diameter of the sun's disc. The latter being blocked by the moon was a hole of utter darkness in the middle of the sky. It was haunting and magnificent.

Meanwhile, back in the shop, I did most of the fabrication of a bulldozer die for the Hossfeld. I still need to make and weld on the bottom guide and finish its matching pin, but then it’ll be ready to go.

IMG_8625.thumb.jpeg.3ff950d30f1266a67e1696439e53eaea.jpeg

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

the closest an edge of the penumbra came to us was about 1,000 miles. It was sure good watching on TV though, some really awesome pics. 

Frosty The Lucky.

frosty don't worry we were supposed to get be just on the edge of seeing a partial eclipse but ended up being a rainy day (which is definitely needed so there is that) I do agree that there was some beautiful pictures that some people took and chose to share

haven't done much on the smithing side for quite a while but have been spending a decent amount of time doing automotive work in the shop 

I’m at an automotive plant that employs about 2000. We only worked half shifts due to major concerns over absenteeism and logistics disruptions. It worked out pretty good for everyone, but was costly for the company. 
Personally, I enjoyed the celestial show from my front yard with the family. My older son was even home from college on spring break.

Keep it fun,

David

1st shift at the shop i work in took their break late. The lady that owns the shop is an absolutely wonderful woman, she bakes us brownies and cookies all the time, sends us birthday cards and stuff, dont tell her if you just had a child our grandchild she will want pictures all the time,  but anyway she made sure that everyone their had glasses to watch it with. 

I work nights so i did not have to be at work till 4pm, the show was more or less over by 3:30 here so i got to watch it then leave for work. We had warning about people coming here to watch it and that the roads and stuff could be jam packed, but like i said nobody wants to come to Ohio and i had one of the best drives to work since covid shut everything down. 

A hasp is a latch or loop for a padlock which holds or locks the door shut.  A hinge is just the pivot which allows a door or gate to swing.  One goes on the pivoting side of the door and one goes on the side which closes against the frame.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand"

Made a bulldozer die and its necessary pins for the Hossfeld bender. 

IMG_8639.thumb.jpeg.8d4e3d78b958b14e8055e050da31fee4.jpeg

IMG_8641.thumb.jpeg.b67fa3ed4c820db8d12a4622efd398b6.jpeg

IMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.f44a7a0f8f089b052d2fb42630060fdc.jpeg

This can put 90° bends in flat stock up to 3/16” thick.

IMG_8635.thumb.jpeg.69fa3b87e99a201cfd9473a249042f18.jpeg

To grind the square sides onto the larger pin, I spot-welded it into a piece of angle iron and used that as a sort of carriage on the belt grinder. 

IMG_8634.thumb.jpeg.6851fb2ca24d5983bbeb158fed296a10.jpeg