• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, GhostTownForge said:

finished the trivet

I like the design, but it would look a lot better if you cleaned up the welds. Ten minutes with an angle grinder will make a world of difference!

46 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How stable it is?

from what ive tested its stable, it has a good center of mass

41 minutes ago, JHCC said:

but it would look a lot better if you cleaned up the welds.

i tried, but im struggling to really get in there. im not sure what to do

At a minimum, I'd suggest using a flap disc in an angle grinder to clean up the welds on the top surface:

Trivettop.jpg.c9fd91331080255fbc43767ce9ba40a3.jpg

After that, the next priority would be to smooth the welds in the obtuse angles on the outside:

Trivetside.jpg.3f05b33137556e5a2781b861be372259.jpg

If you can reach the welds in the inside corners with a die grinder or a file, that would be great but not critical. The top and outside corners are most obvious to the eye, so cleaning them up will give you maximum return on effort. (You'll also minimize the risk of scratching the underside of a pot or dish.)

Keep us updated! Post photographs!

(Also, an observation: attention to this kind of detail is what separates the kind of individual work we do from shops in the developing world that crank pieces out by their hundreds for the mass market. There's obviously a point of diminishing returns where wasting time on imperceptible details really isn't worth the effort, but at the other end of the spectrum, a minimum investment of care and attention really elevates the quality of the finished piece. Achieving mastery lies in learning not just how to do things, but also what things to do.)

13 hours ago, Goods said:

I made another necklace:

That is very nice. It is also called a Celtic torc which was said to have magical protection powers.

https://www.worldhistory.org/article/1687/ancient-celtic-torcs/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Finished and put a handle on the tomahawk i made, can definitely tell it has been a while. Had to reshape the eye. Ordered some handles and they are oval rather than teardrop shaped. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d2e6067f308efeaed07b1fdee5110ace.jpeg

Then i made a couple towel holders and a boot scraper. The rock is what i am going to mount the boot scraper in. Today i will drill the holes and pour the lead. Please ignore the mess on my bench...

image.thumb.jpeg.985b52d81060e744d771643a23284411.jpeg

Epoxy and sand makes good anchor and you don't have to melt or deal with the sometimes exciting things that can happen pouring molten lead into cold stone. On further thought, preheating the scraper and letting it warm the holes for a few seconds should help deal with rapid temperature change. People been anchoring in stone with lead for a few thousand years so . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

Billy, the mess on your bench? It’s not bad, and I love to see the other bits and pieces of projects, tools and other dodads sitting around other people’s shops. 
On the other hand, I try to keep my photos in a clean spot if I can find on… So, I understand.

I’m confused by the gap on the bottom of the towel holders. They look visually appealing, but any issues with functionality?

Keep it fun,

David

Goods, i also like to look at the background of photos and sometimes ask about stuff in the background. 

As far as function they work quite well. I made some similar for my bathroom but rather than spirals they have leaves on the ends. 

Got my rock prepared to drill, got my lead ready to melt, got my hammer drill ready to... well, drill. Then come to find out that i do not have a drill large enough for the legs. My biggest is 1/2" and the legs are made of 1/2" square bar. So the boot scraper will have to be put off till next weekend. 

E X C U S E ME!!! Did I just read a BLACKSMITH say a piece of steel was a LITTLE too large so he'll have to buy another drill bit?!?!?:o 

Good GRIEF Billy, how about heating the legs up and drawing them down till they fit? Or maybe better, chisel the corners off them till they fit, and leave a snagly rough finish so the lead has tooth to stick to?

You know if you do a simple copper plate on the parts of the legs that'll be set in stone, you can apply a little soldering flux and the led will bond to them like brazing rod.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh NO! You definitely need the larger drill bit and more powerful hand drill, no doubt, The extra area between legs and hole will improve it's solidity!

Good catch John, I'd HATE to steer someone the wrong way!

Frosty The Lucky.

Buy? Who sad anything about buying? I was going to make a drill.:lol:

Frosty, thanks for the tip about the copper.

Julian, that is how they have been done for many centuries, not my idea so please do go for it. 

Huh, 3 pm and it is getting dark outside. Wonder what is going on?

18 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

Huh, 3 pm and it is getting dark outside. Wonder what is going on?

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.:) Debi I and the dogs sat out in the front yard in our meeting chairs through the whole eclipse.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

It was like every other early April day up here. Today's weather? 120 degrees with rains of frogs? Grey and cloudy, probably rain. The sun is as sackcloth and the moon is as blood? Little light rain - grey and cloudy. MMA fight between the Ice Giants and Aesir while the Fenrir wolf eats the moon and UFOs film it for intergalactic distribution? Never know it from here...grey and cloudy, probably rain.