I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks George, that was one of Thomas's favorites too wasn't it?

I seem to recall a cubit being around 18" and "your" standard would be closer to 24". Is the "standard Cubit" a modern designation?

That makes me wonder how many lengths of Cubit are known, do you know? I recall, Egyptian and Biblical being used in pretty wide spread regions and here must be several different "Biblical" cubits. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being easier for me to calculate decimal inches, than fraction inches, using a calculator, I got pretty good at converting fractions to decimal in my head.  I just base everything on sixty two and a half thousandths, and can work both ways from there.   Most of the hardware that I use is sized by a number for diameter in sixteenths, and one for length in eighths. Ie; 3-10 = 3/16"diameter x 1 1/4" long drilled, un drilled would be followed with "A". 

25.4mm to the inch. 

I have to do conversion just about every day where i work. 

In the USA we actually use the metric system a whole lot more than people realize. Yes in general we buy a gallon of milk and not a liter, we travel in miles and not kilometers, etc. Just as an example though going back to the 90's just about every American made car now uses metric bolts rather than SAE. In the military at the rifle range our targets were set in meters not yards. Basically while the general public uses the imperial system, industry, science and the government uses metric. I would say though that has more to do with the ease of doing business, research, and the like on the world stage than anything else. 

Made my first baskettwist today.

Have 2 more blanks already welded up but have to do the twisting.

And one will become the handle of a coalrake (or something similar).

Went surprisingly smooth the forgewelding. Did not see that one comming. Thats why I welded all my blanks, ride the lucky streak.

No pictures today, because I forgot

Back again after another long hiatus. I'm gonna have to get better at checking in here more regularly because the activity in this thread alone took me a few hours to get through!

Forgive me for not using the Quotes feature, but the forum platform doesn't seem to like me jumping back and forth between pages while creating a  new post.

A lot of beautiful work being shown lately! So I'll start with a big "great job!" all around :)

White Fox Forge - I think I just read on the BAM forum that you'll be a demonstrator at the 2024 BAM Conference doing your pipe tomahawks? That's awesome! I was already looking forward to it but now I'm gonna have to make sure to say hello!

Jim86 - that little armoury made from nails is SUPER cool B)

And finally, regarding the blower repair - someone mentioned Billy aka TwistedWillow using c-clamps to take care of the lateral movement and that is correct. He suggested the same to me when he was talking me through my own blower repair and it worked wonders!

I've been staying busy in the forge - still trying to get out there at least a few hours every day. I just haven't been online much other than to check IG/FB notifications and email. My wife got a promotion and now works days - same hours as me - so we're home together a lot now, lol. She's super cool about me still doing my thing - as I am for her. But she would like to eat dinner together (I never ate dinner when she worked evenings - just a snack while forging, lol). 

I'll try to get some pics & an update together sometime this weekend.

Dave we always round to the .01' but you have to keep that in mind, 2" =.16666667'.  Staking buildings are typically where you have to pay attention.

I convert from meter to feet quite a bit as some NGS data and Arizona state plane coordinates are metric but the plans are international feet (as opposed to US survey feet)

Always use .3408 exactly. Use 3.28080339 and you could cost your boss $1.5 million. Dont ask how I know (not my bust but profit sharing took a hit)

13 hours ago, BillyBones said:

In the USA we actually use the metric system a whole lot more than people realize. Yes in general we buy a gallon of milk and not a liter, we travel in miles and not kilometers, etc. Just as an example though going back to the 90's just about every American made car now uses metric bolts rather than SAE. In the military at the rifle range our targets were set in meters not yards. Basically while the general public uses the imperial system, industry, science and the government uses metric. I would say though that has more to do with the ease of doing business, research, and the like on the world stage than anything else. 

Interestingly, a few months back I watched a video that came up in my facebook feed with a clickbait-ish title "Why I will never use the metric system" and it was actually by a US citizen who was in full support of the metric system but basically said he couldn't convert to metric because 1. Living in the states means everything around him (in the general public-not international industry) is in imperial and, 2. He's lived his whole life using imperial so he just finds himself not thinking in metric, but automatically converting things into imperial.

Remembering the video the other day when I posted those split cross measurements was what prompted my question.

The hardest to convert is probably temperature.

There both a very different scale and they are harder to "see". With weight or length you can visualise and get a rough estimate if you are close. But temperature ia harder.

I have a feeling for the mesurements (don't say I'm fluent in converting, not even close) amd know if i'm close or wrong. Weight because i use never is harder but temperature is a weird one for me. 100F, hot, cold, superhot, you will burn yourself when touching something? 100C is boiling water, so don't touch hot. Same with 20F. Do i need wintergloves? Is water freezing? Can i lick it? No idea, I have to use a converter.

Ok i know that 20F is wintergear cold and 100F is very sweaty warm. But on an engine no idea what to expect.

Almost anything electronic for the past several years will read or convert either. 

The reason America doesn't use metric is political, started with the 1st Continental Congress. Ben Franklin proposed metric as the official scale of measurement but the congress didn't believe the population was smart enough to adapt and adopted Imperial. Every attempt to make the change has failed for the same reason. Too hard, too much trouble.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good day today at our local chapter’s Hammer-in. We work with two new first timers and I got time to forge a steak flipper for my neighbor and a started another BBQ fork:

IMG_0690.jpeg.2e28feb863141c838eee8ca6f801cb8e.jpeg

Sorry, I don’t have a work in progress picture of the fork.

Keep it fun,

David

Good Morning,

How close do you need to be with Metric Conversion. I like being able to do math in my head.

39.4"=1 Meter, call it 40". 4"=10 cm. .040"=1mm. .010"=0.25mm.

1 bar = 14.2psi, 1 atmosphere = 14.5psi round it up to 15psi for thinking calculation. 4 bar=60psi

Circumference is pi/D. 3 times the diameter plus a little bit.

Neil

In early October, I started working toward the ABANA National Curriculum Level 2.

I finished the scrolling tongs, scrolling wrench, and basket handled fire poker with 3 different welds (faggot x 2, scarf x 2, collar)

received_1461381207987772.thumb.jpeg.c787ca56a952d87a1ea8317819a05c96.jpeg

received_1421856248372027.thumb.jpeg.6fc51cb4552ec641b4bab6bce57a99fd.jpeg

received_185199487949867.thumb.jpeg.5cbcd7842f4cb8eaf186e0139a574666.jpeg

I also went to a class. We worked on square corners with a radiused inside and with a 90° inside. We also worked on scrolls.

received_836649581242086.thumb.jpeg.d5be5167fab8fbc50e6890f3896cf7e4.jpeg

received_1222390021958519.thumb.jpeg.c08bbfd804ecaf2183e33aa0b09dec3e.jpeg

received_645979867689141.thumb.jpeg.9a7b2946bbba79e0260431eeecaef813.jpeg

After that class, I decided to take a step back from learning and just have fun for awhile. Maybe through winter, maybe longer, lol. 

So here's some of the fun stuff I've done:

Snail from rebar for a scrap challenge

received_303846519212026.thumb.jpeg.ef10434acef8286b24030d9bd42a9b29.jpeg

A thin fuller out of one of the H13 slugs gifted to me.

received_3178618772443667.thumb.jpeg.b964cd2dea5eb511d166946f319e2820.jpegreceived_859771172458086.thumb.jpeg.ce13da3bd3955f6d0f345a291996c510.jpeg

A "Dinglehopper" from The Little Mermaid, which my wife wanted as a back scratcher and very specifically made certain I knew she didn't want it to be longer than the dinner fork she currently uses, lol

received_286574414369732.thumb.jpeg.510120985e8bc2e15a8f250ebd3a9dd9.jpegreceived_1331686041043030.thumb.jpeg.32ea408c87b1c4a55f47caa390d48440.jpeg

And most recent is my first time participating in a 150mm challenge. It was the trade item for today's BAM meeting. 6" of 3/4" square. I decided to make a Tic Tac Toe game.

received_6871827899569026.thumb.jpeg.ccc0357156ca0d760029b3041bf81334.jpeg

Here's the table showing everyone else's entries. Since really impressive stuff!

received_2299892900375572.thumb.jpeg.acba0d3d6d92c80e6b55ba55d0ef95f0.jpeg

Well, when the invites went out for the staff Christmas party, I told my workmates I'd be there with bells on, so today:

20231112_151115.thumb.jpg.0c40cee4d5dd97e653f84b5d107c4d79.jpg

And, that's about where they'll hang! :lol: (Sorry, couldn't quite get it focused)

Cold formed; one in copper sheet, one in steel sheet.

Cheers,

Jono.