I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

7 hours ago, Chimaera said:

How much was that?

$21.99 + tax. 

Finally got around to a project that’s been nagging the back of my mind for a few months: adding a swivel caster to the front of my grinder cart. This cart has fixed wheels at the back, and I wanted something that would make it easier to move around and eliminate the difficulty of lifting and balancing its weight. The solution is a caster mounted on a hinged piece of bed rail; a post swings down and wedges the rail in place. (This post shares a pivot point with the foot pedal I added to release the belt tension on my 2x90 grinder.)

IMG_7559.thumb.jpeg.c5e424e1b884a85c177655fc57507dda.jpeg

IMG_7560.thumb.jpeg.6712ec3be55e7093d78cf14bd182a8ee.jpeg

Also cut down a big spud wrench to make a long, tapered round drift. 

IMG_7561.thumb.jpeg.a3c6c44e4d6c0118c056eefb7bee92ba.jpeg

And did some more work on the details of the nautilus repoussé piece. 

IMG_7565.thumb.jpeg.9c7be49c7cad9fc52a11c73b7a3da53d.jpeg

(One thing I’ve learned from this practice piece is to leave more material on the margins!!)

• Replies 26.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nautilus is looking great! Did a bit more work on this one… bone still needs some more degreasing. Also need advise for the transition. I’m thinking this will be more decorative than functional, and the vibe I’m going for is “sacrificial dagger”. I think I might torch the bone. Considering a sinew wrap, but not sure.

981E29CF-A6FD-4C93-9BC6-949A06457947.jpeg

On 8/14/2023 at 5:29 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks Frosty..  That is a good one..  does it work on bee stings too? 

Jennifer I know this is old but if you take a slice off a fresh onion and rub the juice from that into a bee or wasp sting  that reduces the pain and swelling quite well

M.J.Lampert

You all are making some great stuff.

Alexandr thats a pretty impressive handrail!

I just finished a simple hot cut i made from leaf spring, then had to grind it down a bit as the hardy hole is smaller than my other anvil. Made a few coil spring punches too.

IMG_20230929_150612.jpg

Good Morning, Jim

Greetings from the left coast of Canada.

I have made very similar 'Hot Cut'. I have found there is more support if you weld a slightly longer shank on the backside, this lets the base of the 'Hot Cut' sit square on the top of the Anvil. The weld is not in shear or compression.

Enjoy your day!!

Neil

George, the judge picks the items to be forged, the time allowed, and the specifics. 

The Judge was Beth Holmberg..  She is into Vikings and early British, Icelandic, and Scandinavian lore. Fun really because she researches the items and gives history on them with location. 

Only a few items I've made there since going.. ((This was my 3rd time I think.. (covid time off)) have been useful with potential sales. 

2023-division_sessions-3.pdf

JLP, I don’t know how the judges felt about your  work, but I’m impressed. (As always!)

Rojo, that’s pretty cool. Will it be part of a bigger piece? Or is it going to be a semi-profile relief?

Over the past couple seasons, I’ve made a lot of progress to having inventory for my next demo on the 21st an 22nd. Nothing finished yet (which makes me nervous), but a few items close:

Five tomahawks in various stages:

IMG_0636.thumb.jpeg.744eb89b9b81c2bb61feb3d3e129f05e.jpeg

2 filed and ready for heat treatment, one rough ground ready for filing, two just annealed ready for grinding.

I also got some material drawn out into blanks:

IMG_0637.thumb.jpeg.936e9f7a480802f0702af0a5ff219ad2.jpeg

Forklift tine for hatchets. I plan on 5 or 6 total of 3 sizes. Then 52100 for blacksmith knives, should be enough for 5. This is if time and luck holds out.

If I can make good progress on these, I should get some smaller items together also… (Again, time and luck! And I have to get more coal!)

Keep it fun,

David 

I've been trying to develop my skills and expand my range of sellable items so over the weekend I made these:

20231003_072707.thumb.jpg.ab70b19b234c62d3e61c852626f5a578.jpg

20231003_072655.thumb.jpg.522395db44b8c453ad8ed6125d7fc8bc.jpg

I have made leaf keyrings before but thought I'd try one again for practise. I'm really happy with the corkscrew but it was my second attempt after I accidentally burned off half of the screw on the first one, on what I had intended to be my last heat!! :( I've gotten too used to using gas and got distracted for just that little bit too long.

I still have to find a wine under cork that I can test it on. Most wines in Australia are now under screw caps, not sure about in other places? The pitch of the screw might still be a little tight, but time and good wine will tell!

Cheers,

Jono.