I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

JHCC neat.. That will be handy. 

IFCW.   Never fails right..  Old keeps on ticking and the new futzes out.. 

I'm a member of a (oil fired burner group) and its funny the trade offs between old tech and new. 

Myself I did some tree clearing that came down between the school and neighbor. 

Got to put the hatchax to good use. 

20230129_172045.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent a couple of hours in the shop yesterday evening determining that putting scrolls in 1/2" x 2-1/4" flat bar may have been an overly optimistic assessment of my shop's capacity. Time to rethink the design of my latest commission.

I had upsetting and satisfying day today, how , i just upset 1" square for my post vise, i was satisfied how much my forge can heat, this is record one inch square , even if i can do heat more, lets say 2 inches, i cant beat more with hammer :D

On 1/27/2023 at 3:56 AM, Frosty said:

I hope the new owner sends a few pics of your chandeliers installed Alex. It'd be really cool if they were going in  public building so Deb and I could take a direct look, Kenai is nice RV country and we have next summer.

Thanks guys for your ratings.

Jer !   In March last year, I already sent him the first 2 chandeliers, but he still hasn't sent a photo. Maybe not installed yet. Surprised by the speed of delivery. The shipment arrived in Seattle yesterday afternoon. Only 4 days from the moment I brought the chandeliers to St. Petersburg airport.

Reminiscent of the Parable of the Butcher from Chuang Tzu:

Ting the cook was cutting meat free from the bones of an ox for Lord Wen-hui. His hands danced as his shoulders turned with the step of his foot and bending of his knee. With a shush and a hush, the blade sang following his lead, never missing a note. Ting and his blade moved as though dancing to “The Mulberry Grove,” or as if conducting the “Ching-shou” with a full orchestra.

Lord Wen-hui exclaimed, “What a joy! It’s good, is it not, that such a simple craft can be so elevated?”

Ting laid aside his knife. “All I care about is the Way. If find it in my craft, that’s all. When I first butchered an ox, I saw nothing but ox meat. It took three years for me to see the whole ox. Now I go out to meet it with my whole spirit and don’t think only about what meets the eye. Sensing and knowing stop. The spirit goes where it will, following the natural contours, revealing large cavities, leading the blade through openings, moving onward according to actual form — yet not touching the central arteries or tendons and ligaments, much less touching bone.

“A good cook need sharpen his blade but once a year. He cuts cleanly. An awkward cook sharpens his knife every month. He chops. I’ve used this knife for nineteen years, carving thousands of oxen. Still the blade is as sharp as the first time it was lifted from the whetstone. At the joints there are spaces, and the blade has no thickness. Entering with no thickness where there is space, the blade may move freely where it will: there’s plenty of room to move. Thus, after nineteen years, my knife remains as sharp as it was that first day.

“Even so, there are always difficult places, and when I see rough going ahead, my heart offers proper respect as I pause to look deeply into it. Then I work slowly, moving my blade with increasing subtlety until — kerplop! — meat falls apart like a crumbling clod of earth. I then raise my knife and assess my work until I’m fully satisfied. Then I give my knife a good cleaning and put it carefully away.”

Lord Wen-hui said, “That’s good, indeed! Ting the cook has shown me how to find the Way to nurture life.”

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Time to rethink the design of my latest commission.

On reviewing the drawings, I find that I may not be able to rethink the design. I guess that means I'll have to rethink the process.

Not only is your display very nice Pedro but your wife's fused glass panel is a delicious piece of eye candy!

Good job on the S hooks Lee and your scrolling tongs do NOT have wonky handles, they are a precision custom hand made ergonomic design. New guy, SHEESH!:)

I thought that delivery was delayed for Covid or geo-political reasons Alex. If you air freighted them, they came over the pole and probably stopped in Anchorage to refuel on the way to Seattle, about a 4 hour truck ride from Kenai. Not that anybody air freights direct from Europe to Alaska except in extreme cases but it's kind of fun to think those beautiful chandeliers sat on the ground here for an hour or so on their way south only to be shipped by truck back up.

Funny world eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Repaired my vise leg old was too much  crooked .

And it was thin .

First 1" square were to upset  then leg was cut shorter on purpose because when it's draw out it was correct diameter with vise.

It was done by eye .

Then all welded together .

IMG_20230131_152308.jpg

IMG_20230131_150848.jpg

Yes, the vise IS your friend. IIRC you have a leg vise don't you Lee? I have both basic kinds two leg vises and a major heavy duty 8" Wilson bench vise I got for a steal of a deal. The leg vises are primarily for rough duty work like hammering and twisting where the bench vise is primarily for holding things immobile for had work. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, you remember correctly.  I got a leg vise from an auction last year.  I need to make a spring for it and establish where and how to secure it safely.  I have a large bench vise attached to a 4' x 8' welding table that weighs about 1000 pounds, so it is pretty secure. :D

A leg vise spring is one of the easiest repair parts to make, all a leg vise needs is something to tip the mobile jaw past the tipping point and it'll open itself. Do you have the mounting plate, bail and wedges? IF that is that is how yours mounts. 

When I made mine I fretted over it for days and it only took an hour to make start to finish. The trickiest part was finding stock that fit inside the bail. Pulling the tabs and arcing it were EZ PZ. I spent more time making the wedges, red. Mine takes two wedges one from each direction and I paint components that bear watching red. Being the first I over arched the spring, it doesn't really need to push the jaw all the way open but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Frosty The Lucky.

581039013_2_newtools_Aug08.thumb.jpg.20c162c141efca9693d3b566988753b5.jpg