I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Jennifer, that vertical holdfast is a fantastic idea. I see in your video that you do not take credit for the concept but you state that you have not seen another one. How did you come up with this idea?

I have a background in design engineering and after watching the video, I tried to think of other ways to accomplish what this item can do. All other vertical clamping ideas I came up with would not let the work piece lie flat against the anvil. Great design!

Bob

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Bob..  I wanted to have a great way of holding things on edge..   Nothing tougher than marking the edge of a flat stock bar when your by yourself.  :) 

Conceptually I looked at the bolt headers..   Figured making something for the anvil would be super handy.. 

Once I discovered I could use tongs in the hardie hole of the anvil as a vise it all came together. 

I've made them for heading rivets and holding other stock sizes..  Super easy to make.. In the video I had to modify the end of it since the German pattern is thicker vs London pattern and the hole on the Peddinghaus is not straight thru. 

They can be made in any size and shape of jaw..  Open easier or harder by setting up thinner  spring sections..  

Hold square, round, etc, etc. can have curved jaws for filing..   Imagination is the only limit. 

3 hours ago, PHDforge said:

Jennifer, Excuse me for not knowing but what is a bolt header? Is it a similar tool like a rivet header?

Production bolt and rivet headers use a device a lot like a foot vise for heeling and calking of shoes.. 

Willey & Russel made several..   At the turn of the 19th century they were really hot on making things faster.. So they came up with a device that had different sized dies a lot like a top and bottom swage..   These were held in a vise like item that was foot operated and would be able to lock in place the bar while it was headed. 

22251-A.jpg

Nice work Purple Bullet. Interesting design and great for a wedding gift. 

(Sorry, it got my Abby Normal brain going) 

I could picture a rr spike man with the point of the spike fullered out still connected to be the rose stem and have the rr spike man holding the rose in a loving way.. 

I will probably forget this idea lol.  

1 hour ago, Purple Bullet said:

Thanks, but I'm just a beginner compared to what I've seen of yours.

I try not to compare anybody's work to anybody else..   Everyone has a different experience level and a different take on what one produces.. 

Good work is easy to recognize no matter how long a person has been smithing..   Length of time is no guarantee of good, clean work.. 

From the looks of it, great effort Rojo. It is pretty nice as is. A little cleanup and you are good. Wouldn't take more than a heat, a little bar stock in between and a few taps to get them nice and straight. Even more respect them being chiseled out.

Got a 7-1/2’ chunk of heavy angle iron (3” x 3” x 1/2”) from the junkyard yesterday and made a new stand for the EBUA*:   Emergency Back-Up Anvil

0E46AE52-514F-4890-BA20-EB5888803A0B.thumb.jpeg.42a68ed2681f404cf73b15a6b2a0d59c.jpeg

9A35C072-A06E-4725-B460-74D60D99461D.thumb.jpeg.3e719b879ea21ffe90e7f379ac94fc21.jpeg

982F0527-4076-46FF-BCD9-19E170FC8811.thumb.jpeg.215b24773abe90d1b0b55014e560984d.jpeg

52AB3BEE-D223-430C-B19B-A7925ECEA18B.thumb.jpeg.1dbbb875ba7a6faeedaef5a9ed144698.jpeg

02DDE6D1-D5A0-4807-95B5-3A95CAC9632D.thumb.jpeg.ac4ed645937177c50eb4f53d7346312c.jpeg

The side pieces are from a 2’ piece of 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” x 1/4” angle I picked up on the same junkyard run. The unlikelihood of getting exactly the right stock for a job and using practically all of it is rather striking. 

I’ll be adding some pieces to hold the anvil down more securely, and I’ll probably also trim back those top corners a bit. I’ll keep y’all posted. 

* Emergency Back-Up Anvil

Thanks Alex, that's easier to picture. I was thinking the wall unit was maybe a heater, we have similar ones and it'd be a good place to dry outer wear like gloves. 

Maybe if I used an umbrella I would've pictured it.

Frosty The Lucky.