I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Those pumpkins look awesome BillyBones! Do you got a picture of the fuller that you used?

this afternoon I’ve been doin some maintenance on handled tools, 

replacing some broken an missing handles, adding wedges to loose heads, redressing faces an peens and wiping everything down with blo,

ive still got a few piles of tools to get through but here’s a few I got done so far, 

an a big punch I got at an auction a couple weeks ago,

F37A42CE-D559-4591-94BE-F4D63542EE80.jpeg

F8447BF5-3FBB-42FE-A3BC-D3060C576C94.jpeg

4E1FC6A8-FDB3-4F16-91EF-D96AE2F2FC22.jpeg

8DC2FD7C-67AB-4726-95BF-83A3A3FF66A3.jpeg

A2A22AE7-A2B9-42CB-8294-32C603862289.jpeg

35C9EEC4-F5F8-4682-887A-E492413F2271.jpeg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BillyBones said:

beakers instead of 10 switches

Just a note, if using breakers to kill the power you might want to have several spares on hand. Breakers do not like being flipped on & off like a light switch and will fail frequently from that use. This from the Mad Systems blog.

https://madsystems.com/2016/03/10/using-electrical-breakers-as-switches/

Frosty beat me to it...:P

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

grind the mushrooming off the struck ends of those top tools aren't you

Yes Jerry 

im doin that As I’m redressing the tools,

I had to have surgery 5-6 years ago to remove hammer face shrapnel from my arm that had lodged by an artery, 

done been there, done that, learned my lesson, and got the tshirt

thats why I’m doin maintenance on all the handled tools

An once I get through all the handled tools imma start on the chisels an punches,

OUCH Billy, that was a CLOSE ONE! Makes me REALLY glad we learned about mushroomed tools and having ships stuck in your hide in Jr High shop class. Then included movies of having ships dug out. 

The movies were bad enough to learn the lesson the easy way.

Glad you're okay or should I say OKIE Doky? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah it was weird,

I was hammering away an I felt a sharp pinch feeling in my arm, 

i didn’t think nothing of it until blood started running out, so I went to clean it up with a shop rag an I felt a bump in my arm,  and I looked at the hammer and saw a big chip missing outta the face,

then I took a telescoping magnet off my bench and it stuck to the bump in my arm,

I told the boss I needed to leave, ran down to the clinic and the doctor walked in not believing that anything serious had happened until I handed her the magnet and her face went white and she sent me straight to X-ray and found it was lodged by an artery and she didn’t feel comfortable removing it so she scheduled me for surgery to remove it

i asked the surgeon if I could keep it after they got it out but they said no, that they had to send it off for some kinda testing that i didn’t understand,

I managed to get the 2nd hawk to turn out and started on the 3rd. I tried the preform on it:A96FC60C-11AD-4769-A827-9138B54E64CE.jpeg.2d05f25d2d81fcd91733026767926ed5.jpeg

67AE4000-83E8-41A8-8A3C-D45B332877DE.jpeg.adedb6e0e2fee89a72c3967894cf67b2.jpeg
In the end, it didn’t help much. 4-1/4” between the welds was short… 

At our hammer-in today, I worked on the 3rd hawk some more and made my first striker and a bottle opener that I’m pretty happy with:37562160-9C70-4B03-B5E0-BA1A26544F69.jpeg.723f643caf0e32ee138a4a448e93cfaf.jpeg

I’ve got a festival/demo next weekend and need to get more of these smaller items made up. (I’ll post pictures of the hawks once I get them finished up, not long now…)

Keep it fun,

David

21 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Do you got a picture of the fuller that you used?

TW, sorry i forgot to answer that. I just used a guillotine with 3/8" dies in it. That is it sitting on my anvil. 

Got 4 completed. Trying to figure out how to put grooves on the like a real pump.

image.thumb.jpeg.f890fc03b3d81f2813ee08326f233552.jpeg

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

"Ships stuck in you".  I understand that a possibility from the 1964 Alaskan Earthquake; but weren't you in California back then?

I must've been channeling my Spanish pronunciations. Yes I lived in the San Fernando valley, Ca. and my folks, fuddy duddys they could be, wouldn't drive us down to the beach to watch the tsunami. 

I LOVE the bottle opener David, the rest is nice but you'd better make LOTS of those bottle openers.

Make a spring tool to vein the pipe before you swage it into pumpkins. The spring will have to be long and the buck will have to be enough smaller than the pipe the veins won't trap it. Maybe if you use a long enough piece of round bar for the buck so it's heavy enough and flat spring to keep it in register. Hmmmm. 

You could hang the pumpkins from wires and have LEDs inside. Blacksmith's Halloween tree lights you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice work everyone. I like those pumpkins, cool idea. I went to the Fitchburg Forge-in last week. I didn’t compete because I knew I could not do the projects in the allotted time frame. So I tried one project today, it took me 5 hours (vs. the allowed 1 hr). Not perfect but I think it came out OK. Had fun anyway.

Bob

DF42E5F0-0AD1-4D36-86DF-33B76E5B6BC6.jpeg

Little pumpkins could also be made into small oil lamps.

Did a second rusty barbwire basket twist icicle; as some of the kids will be showing up for my Eldest Daughter's wedding I thought to get their Christmas present  into their hands so they could transport them!  I also prepped more rusty barbwire for the next ones, 11 pieces cut to length and twisted tighter.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

ive still got a few piles of tools

That’s a good problem to have, willow. 

Recently my brother got me a leather working kit for my birthday. Here are my first two sheaths- a squirrel tail neck knife and a nice EDC fixed blade. Still kicking myself for screwing up the stitching on the EDC. Overall though, I’m quite proud of myself.

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Trying to figure out how to put grooves on the like a real pump.

Die grinder with a little cut off wheel will score the lines in nicely. Maybe a mini bur bit for the small concave areas. 

Love that idea Billy. Wonder if they would hold up enough for the faces to be hot punched in. Obviously not through but in enough to look good. 

Nice work everyone. Been watching but busy with the kids and other stuff. 

Had to go to the hospital to get a blood clot in my leg checked out. Thankfully it is in the outer vein and not a DVT that could be more worrysome or life threatening. I'll be fine tho. 

Dave, no it pretty much due West of me. It’s Fort Vallonia Days in Vallonia, IN:

https://fortvalloniadays.com/home.html

I’ll be in the fort all day Saturday and Sunday with another smith and some of the other local Smith may stop by and hang out. I’m there to help out (do most of the forging) and don’t need to have inventory to sell, but it’s nice to have some sales to buy coal and steel both of which I’m running low on.

Keep it fun,

David

Das, that was that i was thinking as well. I used  a dremme with a cut off wheel to make the mouth. They would never survive a hot punch, this tubing is pretty thin walled. I am pretty sure that it came from a box store since there was a bar code thing on one end. 

Das, glad to here that you will be alright. 

Chimera, nice work there. May i suggest a couple rivets? Put one where the tip of the knife is at then one up at the other end would look quite nice. 

Got my electrical problem figured out. It ended up being the breaker itself. We put another one in and everything works fine. Just goes to show that just becuase it is brand new does not mean it can not be at fault.