• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been reading "Practical Blacksmithing" by M.T. Richardson. Pretty good read so far.

Started working on my Blue Meenie. Still a bit to go. Needs some reinforcing and the anvil need put in place along with foot peddle, spring, and associated linkage. So far it has only cost me time and even though it is made from lighter gauge metal if it will stamp my touchmark and lay our chisel lines i will be happy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a261e35ba39469a289dd8e9d1ed1b3ff.jpeg

I have this piece of squarish 4140 (left) that i will use as an anvil. It will be supported by a 4x4, i figure a wooden stand is good enough for my anvil why not this as well? And this piece of 1040 round (right) that may become the hammer but i am not quite certain about that yet. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5b00c36bbec453899bb821b5d83d02c2.jpeg

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

So far it has only cost me time and even though it is made from lighter gauge metal if it will stamp my touchmark and lay our chisel lines i will be happy. 

Sometimes those kind of builds will happily suprise you with more than you expect...:)

I do hope it exceeds my expectations. I wish i could make it a little deeper but that is all the room i have. From my estimates it will only have about 12" of throw, cant throw more than the foot pedal is long. I also figure that the main job of the upper portion is to hole the guide in place and most of the force will be bringing the hammer down on the anvil it does not have to be super heavy duty. Anyway regardless so far it has been a fun build and i have learned a few things. 

Today i made the foot peddle for the Blue Meanie and started up setting that round of 1040. I need minions. No striker so i swung a 10# sledge one handed while holding the piece on the anvil. After about 3 hours i called it a day and went for an adult beverage and now i am waiting for the aches and pains in spots i never knew i had.

image.thumb.jpeg.e30f43d6399fda9e237996f52b7a767e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7d3ba8739b7082326d701218dbe4d95a.jpeg

3 hours ago, BillyBones said:

so i swung a 10# sledge one handed while holding the piece on the anvil.

:o B A D Billy!

Rather than holding the piece by hand try wrapping a length of chain around it leaving the ends hanging, double it if you have to. You may only get a couple strikes but you can reset it before it cools and you can hit it harder. Chain has give so the work can't spring loose but chain isn't live so it won't recoil, it just holds the hammer head on end on the anvil face. Think of it like sand bagging it in place. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Cool yesterday; so I fired up the forge and worked on my replacement grill project. Flattening the rods that go across the frame.  In between heats I started drilling the frame for rivets, got 43 holes drilled with a single 1/8" bit, 3 to go and the bit broke; but came out of the hole, second bit broke and stayed in the hole.  3rd bit is doing all the other drilling before working on that one hole....

I needed to establish where each individual rod will cross the frame and hot flatten it.  So I flattened and drilled all the tops of the 23 rods and positioned them on the frame using some 1/8" stock through the holes and then used soapstone to mark where the frame on the other end would hit and then heated and flattened.  This is where a fairly sharp edge on the anvil was helpful so I used my Fisher.  (For the first end, I scribed a line near the face's edge and then just placed the ends to meet that line and hammered them flat.)

I going to have to source some nails to use as rivets; 46 needed and NOT 16 penny.  Going into town tomorrow and will hit the hardware store.

Goal is to be using it to cook hamburgers over a mesquite wood fire on July 4th!

When i was but a wee lad i used to go in the barn and make little knives out of nails. I heated them with a propane torch, like a plumber uses, then hammered them out on top of my grand pa's vice. The same post vice that i am using today in my shop. 

I've been on a tear lately. Tonight I did a quick trivet from rail spikes,  I cheated and welded it for now,  I'll drill it and rivet it tomorrow.   Worked a rose I started yesterday, (a couple small adjustments and I'll be happy) and knocked out 8 S hooks from 3/8 stock. 

Yesterday I did a few bottle openers, cut out the blanks for 4 roses, forged the leaves for the first.  Sunday was putting the shop back together,  Saturday was an 8 hour live demonstration in front a store I have stuff in.  That convinced me I need a stake anvil or a 50 pounder.  I moved my 200 pounder on its base, lifted it to the back of my truck twice and back out twice.   

20220628_203955.jpg

FB_IMG_1656469074052.jpg

On 6/26/2022 at 2:19 PM, BillyBones said:

I need minions. No striker so i swung a 10# sledge one handed while holding the piece on the anvil.

making some tooling and ran into the same problem making a bick out of 1.25 rod was able to use my press some but a lot needs to be done by hand also did some work on a knife for a friend.

1 hour ago, Chad J. said:

I cheated and welded it for now

Welding isn’t cheating. It’s a technique. Like any technique, it can be done well, or it can be done poorly; that’s a reflection of the skill of the smith. When and how the technique is used (whether for aesthetic or practical purposes, or both) reflects on the judgment of the smith. 

Sorry been busy. Thats a great idea letter openers. Yes it is a nail 3-1/4" 16D.  Guard is a washer i hammered square and fed onto the blade as it became oval enough then squared it off so to say. Not what you would do at all for real blade but worked very well for toys. Also had him ask me for a staff so i pounded this out of a brass rod the rest is more craft work but i did hammer the brass. And thanks i apreciate the feedback bad or good better then silence. And a tiny bit of file work. 

20220628_203238.jpg

20220628_203134.jpg

Not bad at all Gandalf. The hand creeps me out a little but it's not a thing. It IS facing the wrong direction though. The head of a staff or scepter should face forward, not back. A staff of office represents the war club by which kings, chiefs, etc. ruled. Do what you're told or I'll crush your skull. 

Frosty The Lucky.

If he's happy that's what counts. I wasn't criticizing it was more of a FYI thing. Having it off center is good, many scepters represented an axe or hammer, the one buried with Tut represented a bludgeon. They got fancier and more pretentious as time went on of course. Nothing like rich folk for an extravagant, MINE is bigger better than yours :P contest.

I think you did a good job, it's not like he gave you time to develop something. 

Frosty The Lucky.