• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very useful looking hammer John. Nice work every one, its cool to see all the roses.

I made another s hook and the start of a display stand for a piece of fused glass art out of some 1/4” x 1/“2. The corners aren't perfect but they are right were I wanted and my plan worked so Im super happy with it. E9548648-E4F0-4980-83BE-9AD68AF708D6.thumb.jpeg.8cec5a00a532ae7a91c6e8a6c458ebfe.jpeg

thanks for looking

Got some heavy duty shelving parts from work a while back.

I finally got some of the one end of the shop cleaned up and started working on some stock shelving for the man door side. This should clean up some shop space.

Everything around me is a hill so that is something I deal with. If I dug it level I'd probably have other issues. Maybe some day.

20220710_161945.thumb.jpg.99f9f711c3e432912a9e44d8102b07fa.jpg

19 hours ago, Daswulf said:

This should clean up some shop space.

Cleaning and re-arranging shop is a pain but it can rejuvenate and refresh your interest and imagination and keep your mind occupied.  Things get cluttered sometimes.  

Aiming for a square bottom, a basically square body with sides that belly out somewhat, and fairly well-defined corners. I realized part way in that I had made a couple of critical errors, so part of the process is seeing how to recover from those mistakes.

(In other words, this is not yet ready for production!)

Wow - nice roses everyone. 
Gandalfgreen that brass work looks awesome. And Alexandr as always - incredible. 
I started a second globe (first completed globe for reference) - actually sold one on Etsy which I could not believe. I had a lot of trouble with the first one getting the spokes for the sphere uniform. Of course that was because I decided to try doing it cold and did not have the right tools but uniformity is always an issue for me. Tried it hot this time and realized a break rotor couldn’t have been more perfect size wise and because of the little groove in the side. I’ll still have to do a little straightening and tidying up but these came out way better to start with. 
384557CF-DE5A-4D83-AAF7-DABC9DE96165.thumb.png.43a0a66cb76bd9db6ec30c557e791044.png

BFE72A22-0A9B-42A4-AD5E-C32D78877ACA.jpeg

36C7A67B-D872-4BA6-970D-46CB265490AA.png

26EED435-EAE9-4F74-85C5-4D8F1F12A084.jpeg

Great idea, Pat. For the next one, try attaching a little tab to hold the end of the rod, and then wrap the heated section around the rim, using the unheated section as a handle. Same principle as a scroll form.

Yes, tack a narrow tab across the groove you're using in the rotor, even a scrap of the round stock. A little trick I use is to extend the heated rod a little past the tab and hammer it in, that way you don't have the flat spot at the end of the round, scroll, etc. you see from machine turned scrolls. By machine I mean . . . DANG TREE! I can NOT remember the name of the bender every jr and high school in my day had in metal shop! 

Anyway, stock is bent around a die with a pin, roller or similar die on a lever. Where you start the stock is a pin or tab to hold it in position while you turn the bend. The stock in the tab doesn't bend and so leaves a straight end at the center of scrolls, circles, etc. If you bend your arc in the end of the stock before putting it in the bender you can eliminate the straight bit unfortunately it takes practice to get it to match the arc bending round stock.

Ah HAH John responds while I search for the name of that blasted bender. A C clamp instead of a tab, You can even clamp the rotor to a heavy bench so you don't have to hold it while you turn your rings. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't recall, I know it's in there but aphasia has the name hiding in one of the creases in my dented brain. <sigh> H isn't raising a twitch. 

It had dies for square, round bar, flat, the easy way or hard way, angle iron, pipe and all in radiuses from 1" to 6". It would bend sharp 90s in square or flat the easy way, angle iron needed the corner nipped. The one in high school had a box of dies the size of a steamer trunk and if you knew how to use the thing like Mr. Harding the Occupational Heavy Metal instructor you could work magic.

He turned 1" chromolly tubing in a scroll with it by stacking the round dies and giving it a twist when he wanted it to move to the next size. 

That reminds me it had half a dozen scroll dies. 

I knew how to use maybe 1/2% of what it would do before getting into the tricks Mr. Harding could make it do. 

Frosty The Lucky.