• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still focused on cleanup (which is going very well), but I did take a few minutes to make a bowsaw out of some scraps of conduit. 

17CB0BEE-BC34-41BC-8FEF-4DFB28ED25A2.jpeg

The balance isn’t great, but it lets me out to use a perfectly good metal-cutting bandsaw blade that snapped on me while it was still brand-new. 

I pick up wood cutting bowsaw frames and mount the hacksaw blades in them.

Not shop work but I used a 6# sledge to drive a bunch of T posts for a fence around my wife's raised beds. Luckily it has a nice short handle so I can swing it one handed while standing on a step ladder and holding the pole.  I did have to remind my wife to stay out of the "oops zone" a couple of times.

Word to the wise.   Be careful, a missed blow will send you flying off that ladder if your reflexes aren't quick enough.  I used to pound in 14' street sign posts for tall cucumber fences.   I made a post pounder after picking myself up off the ground.

I made a too heavy post driver when Deb and I were putting fences up for the goats. It was WAY better than trying to use a sledge even made getting the post plumb before driving it. Slip it on the post, stand it up and balance it. 

They do NOT need to be heavy to drive posts, you have to lift them to make a strike after all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Post pounders are your friend.  The 3 inch diameter driver has been around ever since I can remember, and has handles. The 2 inch ID x 32 inches long one (no handles) is the go to when ever a T post needs put into the ground  It is suggested that ear protection is used with both.

I always pounded posts in with a hammer as well till I got a post pounder in a lot at an auction. I learned they make life Way easier and safer when pounding in posts. Simple to make really. The one I got was home made. 

I did make my own t post remover after looking them up and prices, I decided to make my own and it works well. Done the old wiggle pull, wiggle pull method on posts enough when I was younger. 

I made a T post puller that works a treat but a little heavy sort of like the driver I made. <sigh> On the upside the puller has a C shaped business end that fits around the post, it's on a lever arm a few inches from a lever a few feet long on the other side of the fulcrum and you can slip in a length of pipe for those stubborn posts.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Realized I have a demonstration to do this Saturday and Sunday, and I have no inventory. Well, I really don’t have to sell anything, but I do end up making a lot of leaves for the crowd. I thought a story board could help explain what I’m doing. So, that is what I made today.
65A12175-67C5-4062-9F6D-87737F8A8DCC.jpeg.7ae5617fd270fed8a86ec749487c23ef.jpeg

There not perfectly matching and had to bend the one step to fit the board, but I got some practice in and it should get the idea across. I’m thinking I may leave it at the group forge, we’re often teach newcomers the steps…

Keep it fun,

David

Dave, no, due east in Vernon, Indiana. It’s at the Vernon Group IBA satellite’s home forge. The Sassafras Tea Festival (with a civil war reenactment) is the event and the forge site is right at the edge of the festival.

David