I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Been working on a stand for my swage block this week in the couple hours before i go to work i have. Been in the 60's and sunny until today, hate to waste nice days. But i have kind of an odd shaped swage so this took some thinking to accomplish but i think it will work well. 

Also made a handle for the garden rake i made this past weekend. Piece of old dowel rod i found in the barn with a copper fitting on the base. Now just to finish the rake. 

20210311_134055.thumb.jpg.78533ba5faea0b99e900ec01e53ae473.jpg

20210311_134229.thumb.jpg.b0e856fb561ce30cf0d37e9c82b5bef6.jpg

20210311_134422.thumb.jpg.9d9b273248589316f553afb2a54bdf58.jpg

Decided it needed some paint.

20210311_140100.thumb.jpg.df5f3265406dd9b5c8c28f0b9a6103d2.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful work as always alexandr

Much more frustration in the forge today.  With the redesign of the firepot I thought I would get better results but it didn't work out.  Neither did the corn.  

I put up some pics after I reshaped the firepot.  Side blast with a bathroom exhaust fan for a blower.  I shaped the firepot with soft firebrick in a v shape  The tuye pipe is about 1 1/4 inch diameter.  It's a chunk of handrail from a dead treadmill.  The firepot is maybe 3 inches deep and one brick length wide with the walls sloping up at 90 degrees to each other.  I put another brick at the end opposite the tuye to just keep the fuel contained.

What I think happened is 2 things, maybe 3.  The first is that I was just plain getting too much air at too high a speed.  Second, as the corn burned, it was creating very sticky voids and pockets. I'd pull the metal out, get a cloud of sparks and see a hollow area.  the steel wasn't even getting more than a low dull red.  The corn wasn't coking up like I thought it would.  I quit adding any corn and just used charcoal.  Heat was little better, but still not where I wanted.  I cued that I might be getting too much air so I tried to block part of the tuye from the back side.  No change really  At this point I'm ready to just quit.  I turn to look at my anvil and I'm seeing that what was lat once upon a time is looking pocked and ugly, with lots of dings.  I know it's not steel, but it was kind of disheartening, so I put the fire out and went inside.

Stick with charcoal for now, and work on regulating your airflow. That's a pretty big tuyere, and you probably are getting way too much of a blast. Set up your air supply so that you can adjust the amount of air going in, whether through speed control of the fan or by adding some kind of valve or the like to divert an adjustable amount of air elsewhere.

I can use my sons hand crank blower for now.  It's a nice one.  I'm just a little lazy and don't want to turn a crank.

Is my firepot design ok?  I can't help but think it should be, but it has been the worst performing one so far.  Also, I wonder if I'm just skimping too much on the fuel.  I never seem to get a big enough fireball and rarely enough heat.  I wonder if I'm not piling it deep enough.

30 minutes ago, Paul TIKI said:

.  I never seem to get a big enough fireball and rarely enough heat.  I wonder if I'm not piling it deep enough.

How high are you piling the fuel above the top of your three inch deep firepot?  I used the same firepot that I burn charcoal in for corn and it worked. It's about a four inch deep trench style jabod with either a 3/4 or 1 Inch tuyere I truthfully can't remember anymore which and it's about an inch above the bottom of the trench and the walls are sloped. I usually have to pile about three or four inches of fuel above the top of the firepot.  I made it with burning charcoal in my mind. I've since changed it to the same type of firepot as Charles R. Stevens used in his Mark III JABOD but I haven't tried burning anything except charcoal in it. 

As for the hand cranked blower. I only have to turn mine about six or seven RPM's for normal forging with charcoal or it gets blown out of the firepot. 

Pnut

First time in the shop after recovering from a dislocated shoulder I got from trying to ice skate a few weeks ago. Ice is always thinner than you think.

Finished up some tools (top tool-ish things I am holding with tongs instead of a wooden handle) and also finally got myself a drill press! 2nd hand on the cheap, paid 25 euros for it. If I am using it a lot now I can justify spending money on a better one.

IMG_20210310_160345.thumb.jpg.f9430c7ba5af2d8bad89badbe6d100b5.jpgIMG_20210311_181532.thumb.jpg.08aaa223e60df3aa21753923c3dcacd7.jpg

Now I'm gonna start making some tools to get a start on some leatherwork. Managed to get a full bag of scraps to practice on from a guy who does car interiors.

Maybe that's the problem.  I might pile it an inch or 2 higher than the firepot.  Most of my problems could be from me skimping on the fuel. 

pnut With the corn, did you just straight burn it or did you blend it with charcoal.

Thanks, it was all one slab of oak. So two of the edges are natural. Just removed the bark.  The strength in spring steel is ideal for that floating look and just drilled holes for sockets and used a wooden mallet to bang it all together. No glue, nails or screws. No IKEA on this island;)

7 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

pnut With the corn, did you just straight burn it or did you blend it with charcoal

I started it with charcoal but burned it exactly like bituminous just using a gentler blast.  You're one hundred percent correct in that it burned quickly. The second time around I spent about twenty minutes "coking" up a good amount before I started trying to forge anything. It does take a lot of poking and raking to keep from clumping up and burning a cave in the mound of fuel. It's definitely not my favorite fuel. I like charcoal as a primary fuel simply because it's easier to source for me than coal. I get free pallets from a couple places near me. If coal was available locally I'd probably switch between charcoal and coal. 

Pnut

We have a tractor supply but I have to order a whole pallet and pay for it up front if I want coal from them because they got scammed a few years back. Someone talked them into ordering coal and then didn't buy it but sent a friend in to buy it at a discount in the spring.  I don't have anywhere to put a pallet of coal anyway. I'm pushing the limits with all the stuff I have outside now. I live in a large apartment building. I've used anthracite and don't mind it at all. I just have to carefully consider every single thing I can't keep in my SUV so I don't get the call from the landlord telling me to get rid of everything. She's been pretty nice so far. 

Pnut

pnut If you have one of those self storage units close by and it's in your budget, might think about renting a small unit. We had a friend who had to do that years ago and the manager of the units let him forge outside the door in the open air drive. On the weekends he usually drew quite a crowd and even had other folks that rented hold yard sales there.