I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

She was my favorite cat. I had her from her birth until I had to put her to sleep twelve years later. She used to bring home rabbits. All the pictures of her are on a CF card and I don't have anything to upload them to except the camera I took them on. She saved my life in more ways than one. 

Pnut

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Things went much better at the forge yesterday.  I seem to have the fire more or less in hand.  I'm getting much more heat, using a touch more fuel than I want, but I could just be whingeing a bit because I'm buying charcoal and the price went up a bit.  Haven't had time to build a retort to make the stuff yet.  Next trip into town I'm going to try to remember to buy some corn to try out some blended fuel with the charcoal, or even just pure corn.  

As for actually hammering on steel...Thank you Frosty and Thomas!  Much less fatigued, hit the steel more accurately, and moved the metal better.   I kept my elbows in, so no need to come down here and sneak one into the ribcage!  I'm  not as sore, either.

I am also thinking I have been getting over ambitious with the stock I'm using to attempt to make stuff.  Every time something came out like I wanted, I was using a 12" by 3/8" nail/spike.  I've used up my supply of those and had been using heavier stock (and failing with it), so I'm going to get more of those nails, not galvanized of course.  Use those as I practice and improve and graduate to larger stock over time.

Proper body mechanics does a lot to speed up your forging and prevent RSI issues. The other thing is to not grip your hammer too hard.  As one smith said: "You are basically throwing your hammer at the work and and catching it as it bounces up."

My grip isn't that loose but I will sometimes allow the handle to slide back and forth in my hand as I raise and lower the hammer.  This is also why it's important to tune the handle to your hand.  Too fat a handle will have you gripping it too tight to hold onto it. Too small may have a similar issue to keep it in your hand.  The three bears grip---"Just Right" is what you are going for.  (One reason I like a terminal knob on my handles is that I don't worry about them sliding out of my hand while using them with a loose grip.)

Wearing a glove on the hammer hand can cause problems because you have to grip tighter to control the hammer as well.  When it's cold in the smithy I may have a leather glove on my tong hand; but my hammer hand is bare.

The USA is a bit like Europe in that we have Federal laws that apply everywhere; but each state has their own laws as well, that only apply in that state.  Many are similar; but self defense varies quite a bit.  Here in NM we have "Castle Doctrine" which basically states that if you are in your own house you don't have to retreat from an intruder; but can defend yourself with up to lethal force.  However it's more "iffy" if they are just on your property. (And in NM this is from Judicial Precedent and not statutory law IIRC)

So when I lived in Ohio and had someone trying to break into my home late at night and I came thundering down the stairs stark naked with a spear to protect my wife; I was covered by: "A trier of fact shall not consider the possibility of retreat as a factor in determining whether or not a person who used force in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of that person's residence reasonably believed that the force was necessary to prevent injury, loss, or risk to life or safety. Section 2901.09"  I did not however chase them down the street as they fled.

I don't wear a glove on the hammer hand but I do on the other, Mainly because the tongs I have kind of suck.  Since I have been using longer stock, a gloved hand has been adequate.  I have read about whether a glove is a help or a hinderance or just plain dangerous, but I seem to be in bit of a pickle.  without a glove even the longer stock heats too much to be handled after a while.  Without tongs, I can't do too anything with smaller stock, and my vice grips and channel pliers don't hold things very well either.  It could just be I don't have the experience to make them work.  Any thoughts?  Or should I move tong build to the top of the queue, so to speak?

Also, any thought on those grippy gloves that are basically fabric with a rubberized palm and fingers for holding a hammer

Edited by Paul TIKI
added something I forgot

Funny, it was the night before my Laurelling and my wife was staying up late to finish sewing my fancy laurelling duds and was clearly visible through the windows.  

I'd say I was channeling my inner Celt rather than a Tuchuck!  I was amused about people later worrying about "What if he had a gun?" To which I used a Sayer's quote: "A bullet, you see, may go anywhere, but steel’s almost bound to go somewhere ”

Paul, I don’t believe rubber or any other material that easily melts or  burns should be near your forge, and certainly not your hands.  So yes, move tong making up to the top of your list. Check out John of Black Bear Forge’s video on how to make tongs when you have no tongs. There are two parts. 

Blacksmithing is a whole lot easier when you can actually hold what you are hitting  safer as well.

2 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

Also, any thought on those grippy gloves that are basically fabric with a rubberized palm and fingers for holding a hammer

I believe John from Black Bear Forge also has a video about that topic

Folks,

If mace or other such self defense sprays are illegal, in the jurisdiction you are currently domiciled in;  then you can resort to the old 'powder puff' weapon.

Essentially it is a one or two ply tissue or toilet paper filled up with cayenne pepper. the paper is folded up around the pepper. It should resemble a powder puff. Secure the puff and carry it in your pocket or pockets.

If the evil doing assailant gets close. Grab your puff and shove it into the the gentleman's face. 

The tissue will break and the pepper will lodge in the miscreant's eyes and nose. Trip the nasty fellow and run.

Or if necessary kick (him or her) the cretin in a suitable portion of their anatomy.

We used to teach this trick to all our students. And it works.

Sincerely,

The    SLAG.

Mr. Deimos,  Sir,

Generally criminal law is primarily a state matter. Yes there are, also, Federal offences.

Checking fifty state criminal codes would be an onerous task. Please reconsider.

The good citizens of most southern states and many midwestern and western states would not take kindly to criminalizing chili flake possession.

It is a mainstay of regional cooking.

Could you just imagine an honorable member of the state of Texas,  (Taijas to some) being arrested for defending themselves with an over stuffed enchilada?

("Yes governor we sometimes do get hungry in inconvenient times and places")

Yes good honest members of these United States, disguise your powder puffs as an enchilada, or taco. 

("officer I just had this morsel for a snack,  in case I got hungry").

Just sayyin',

SLAG.

Mr. Deimos,

I know that you are a Nederlander. (a southern "Holland" citizen, (Brabant)).

That is why I briefly spelled out the criminal legal system of the U.S.A. (a gloss really). Also you opined that you would do some research on said common law. (which I warned, would be an onerous task)

Not all of the Nederlands are polders and below sea level. Just most of it.

I am curious: how did you come by your vast command of the English language. It's very  impressive.

I hear that wooden clogs are very comfortable. (but they are not commonly on sale here).

I also have been informed that the best Indonesian cooking can be had in the Hague and Amsterdam.

Be well: happy hammering, and should you get to these United States let me know. We cook a good Bami Goreng and you are welcome.

SLAG.

I am sorry Mr. Slag, I misunderstood then:wacko:

I did a bit of research and this is what I came up with, in the Netherlands book of law regarding weapons it states "other objects containing poisonous, defensifying and tear-inducing substances" as something that is illegal. It also states that anything used as a weapon is illegal (using a ballpoint pen as a kubotan for example). But, it also states that when you are attacked with deadly force you can use and do anything to try to save your life. 

My vast command of the English language comes from me being wired wrong, as a kid I played those old shareware games on 3 1/2" floppy disks. All those had English instructions, since I was about 6 I knew a little English. So I would just use the dictionary to learn the words I did not understand. Having Mensa level IQ and extreme dyslexia made it that I can not spell out words, but I will memorize almost any word I see or hear. For grammar I just go on feeling, don't understand the rules, but 90% of the time, if it sounds good it probably is good. Spelling control is used to deal with phonetical problems like "Which" and "Witch".

Wooden clogs are indeed very comfortable, I wear them all the time when I work in the shed, you can bounce about 600 Lbs. on them, so they are safety shoes.

Indonesian cooking is almost everywhere here, I have not been to the Hague and Amsterdam much since where I used to live was invaded by "Burgundians" and that has left its mark on the south of Holland. I have never seen more bars, restaurants and other food related shops then in 's-Hertogenbosch where I grew up.

You are the 3rd person that would have us when we go to the United States, and you also live near something I would really like to see, the St. Louis city museum. Good food is always a pre, and I know Americans understand how to make spicy food, something that is lost over here.  

There’s a company in Holland, Michigan that makes and sells klompen, and I know of at least one blacksmith here in the States (Jymm Hoffmann in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area) that uses them in his shop. Given that they’re not as common here (and therefore more expensive), he adds some metal strips to the bottom to keep them from wearing out as quickly. 

There’s a Malaysian restaurant in Boston that makes a truly delicious Beef Rendang. I try to visit whenever I’m in town on business, although I haven’t been there in over a year; I hope they’ve survived the pandemic.