I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Kevin, nice texture and finish detailing on the cross.

Peppie, your owl opener is a real eye-opener.

Ben, your first hardie tool looks good. Should work well.

Vaughn, those are nice mounting hooks. I might borrow the dimpled-corner idea, but I would use them for mounting-screw countersinks on some shelf brackets.

JHCC, be sure to show us the result after you've sharpened your blacksmith's knife. The shape looks good.

Das, that's a nice collection of crawly critters for Halloween. I'm always impressed by your creations.

Jennifer, we also have a lot of those big black-and-yellow garden spiders. They're really very pretty, although it can be a bit disconcerting to stroll through our yard at night and walk into one of their two-foot webs, especially if the web happens to be about face height.

Snuffy, that's a cool idea for a bottle opener, and unusual (at least I haven't seen one before).

Aus, that's a great selection of pokers.

Al (Steamboat)

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JLP, I find myself constantly getting pictures of different critters best as I can for inspiration and reference. Thats a nice argiope, I call them bananna spiders or writing spiders. They are one of my favorites unless I walk through one of their webs in tall grass then don't know where the spider is. :huh: 

Thanks Ben. I'd probably be in heaven in a shop in the middle of a scrap yard lol. Hmm... I'm kind of collecting a scrap yard if I think about it. :lol: If I didnt need to make money I would have a scrap creature wonderland. :)

Thanks Al, Halloween (fall) is my favorite time of the year. Harvest season. 

4 hours ago, Steamboat said:

JHCC, be sure to show us the result after you've sharpened your blacksmith's knife. The shape looks good.

Thanks, I will. However, before we get to that point, I may reshape the handle somewhat. I was rushing to finish last night, and only now realize that there are some things about it that I don't like.

Actually, it took three days, including paint. All made with scrap on hand. Eight hammer loops, two tong bars, holes at the corners for pivoting trays (or cans) and the bottom tray for bracing. I already like it better than my other anvil that's on a stump, when using it on concrete. 

I'll put it in the anvil stand thread also. 

Hawk

image.jpeg

On 10/23/2018 at 5:39 AM, ausfire said:

Hope that answers your questions adequately. As you can imagine, the Village is a great place to work. Every day is different, and it's good when you look forward to coming to work.

Thanks a bunch.. That is way cool..  Sounds like a good time to be had by all..  If I ever make out your way I will certainly go for a visit to the museum.. We love that kind of thing.. 

Got it! Billy is the key, a steel pot/pan: billy tea, billy coffee, billy oatmeal, billy cup O soup, billy chili. I've made camp bread in a dutch oven it'd go great with billy chili.

We'll have to get together one day for a cup of billy tea and damp. Then I'll stand you to pizza made over the camp fire. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Got a nail made.  Not every day someone asks you to forge something under the light of a full moon!  Seriously, they wanted to be sure I forged it at night while Luna was strong in the night sky.  No problem since I was already planning to work through the night, and now the nail is imbued with all kinds of magical energy.

44901148_2191460784476051_66543811660087

Werewolves are moon controlled and staking Vampires requires a wooden stake, traditionally one of the Oak, Ash or Thorn varieties; but others have been used since Bram codified the basics.

I've done several "interesting" commissions for people. They tend to pay well and not appreciate a lot of the finer details as long as you meet the odd specifications.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:36 PM, JHCC said:

Cut the top out of the Molson keg to make a new slack tub. 

And since the gas grill base that used to support the removable flue for my coal forge has become the base for my new gas forge, I needed to make a new movable flue support. An old garden tool caddy does the job nicely, and also provides storage space for some coal sacks.

Looks like part of a Dr Seuss forge to me. Did Thing One and Thing Two help you design and build it? :-p

I've been experimenting with different leaf designs. I think I'm going through a period when it just doesn't come out quite right. We'll call it a learning phase.

I was happy that the methods I used generally worked, but I need a lot more practice.

QXIKuA5.jpg

I tried the bent leaf method I saw in a video  The leaf is bent in the middle, pounded completely closed, peened into a curve, then opened back up. Trying to keep a good grip on the thing was like grabbing a slippery fish. I think I'll leave the stem part flat next time.

The design should have been a wider leaf though, and the tip wasn't done well. It's a pretty concept.

aAm79Q1.jpg

Yesterday’s bounty

After melting a 50lbs brass bull eye (scrap from a shipyard) into ingots and preparing several sand moulds, I made another nice brass cast.

This time a replica of a roman Bacchus statue and leaf fibula, two of the well-known 4lbs English pattern anvils and some ‘Klompen’ (wooden/brass clock shoes) keyring hangers.

Today I like to forge some copy cats of Aussie’s fantastic forks/steak turners I’ f seen passing by in this treat.

Have a nice day my dear smith brothers & sisters  

DSC00786.JPG

DSC00781.JPG

DSC00776.JPG

On 10/26/2018 at 11:47 PM, tkunkel said:

Ted,  I like the handle you made.  Nice twist, proportional, anchor tabs seem a bit on the thin side for me......What did you want to improve on it? 

It's too tall, and like you said, the pads are too thin. I'm still learning how to estimate drawn out material. 3/8 " would have been better for the sides and 1/4" or 3/16" for the pad. It was fun to make though, and I may do the improved version. 

On 10/24/2018 at 5:43 PM, hawk18 said:

Eight hammer loops, two tong bars, holes at the corners for pivoting trays (or cans) and the bottom tray for bracing.

Hawk, you will be pleased that you used round stock for your hammer loops.  Flat bar stock edges can chew up the hammer handles when you continually drop the hammers in the hoops.  I originally had flat stock hoops on my stand and quickly removed them, replacing with round stock.  Nice stand.

Made a guillotine tool with a 7/8” square cutout. 

3776C035-B196-450F-A683-DFF4D3C8302B.jpeg

The plan is to use this with the treadle hammer to forge stems on bottom tools for my anvil. 

Also cut down the handles and bashed in the lid of my stockpot quench tank to fit it in a larger pot. 

CE195AF6-1D4C-4939-B676-0A14F3839E20.jpeg

4C8DB3CB-DF44-455B-AD0E-58199FCD64E1.jpeg

7BD182AC-C782-4B02-BB24-13287885D340.jpeg