I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thank you. I’m not even sure this qualifies as a pattern weld though. I layered a bunch of steel, cut it in thirds and welded it again. Then twisted it a bunch, hammered it back square. Cut it into thirds, stacked it and hammered it into a knife shape. Maybe thats a pattern maybe that a random pattern. One think I noticed was how much steel I wasted with end pieces and grinding. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, JHCC said:

Certainly:

Thanks for the look at that texturing hammer, John.  I have one too, created with the help of an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. The grooves on yours are much deeper, and I like the coarse effect it produces.

RanchmanBen; the multi-bar "Turkish" or "ribbon" damascus swords are certainly considered pattern welded though they have been twisted and then stacked and welded...Not to forget the early medieval blades of Europe, like the Sutton Hoo sword made from stacked and welded twisted bars. (One article on it can be found at: www.ganoksin.com/article/a-replica-of-the-sutton-hoo-sword/)

Haha Thomas, when it comes to computers I'm pretty ignorant. I believe it's Chrome on a samsung galexy s8 active phone... is that an android thingy?  Most of the time I bumble around till it works or I break it. Should have seen what I've stupidly done to a couple laptops.... there are a few dead ones in my attic.

same thing happened to me as Das. I copy and paste into chrome (win10) and get a 404 error. i cut and paste the address bar then from chrome and see that there is code (for non standard characters after the letter s in the word sword. www.ganoksin.com/article%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF/a-replica-of-the%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF-sutton-%EF%BB%BFhoo-s%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFw%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFo%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BFrd%EF%BB%BF/

its probably a windows thing.  Das's link works for me

I made it to a hammer-in last weekend and met a guy who makes hammers. Went to his shop the next day and got to do a lot of firsts for me. I was a striker (to help make me a hammer), while annealing the hammer he showed me how to forge weld a pattern welded billet, and I got to use a power hammer to draw it out after welding. What a great day!

20181028_181042.jpg

That does sound like a good day @BryanL 

I finally mounted my post vice last night. The hinge plate was made out of mild steel from a repair done sometime earlier in its life, so I welded that straight to the post. Now I can use the vice to make its own brackets for proper mounting. It also needs a new handle and spring...... 

20181030_203233.thumb.jpg.68f392f1cc291426be7e515d463a71a3.jpg

The base is a feed wheel from a timber processor and weighs close to 100#

Thomas, the hinge plates are sheared on the back side and the rivets look to be poorly hammered. The nut for the jaws is a scrap piece from some kind of equipment. And the handle is just a rod of mild steel threaded with acorn nuts on the ends. All of this leads me to believe that it was put together with whatever a previous owner had on hand. 

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

VaughnT, that’s lovely. Are you working from a laser-, waterjet-, or plasma-cut blank? Or is that getting chiseled out?

Thank you.  I had these cut for me by Rich Baker over at Plank-n-Ingot. As I understand it, they're plasma cut.  

I tried to cut some out by hand, but it was so time-consuming!  I'd have had to charge $200 for each rosette, and I'd likely have gone insane before I was done with the second one!  :O

4 hours ago, 51 Papy said:

Vaughn That is cool!  

Thank you.  They're very fun to make.