Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Helena said:

literally walk around, find junk, and use that to make stuff. Life of a starving artist

Don’t knock it; that’s how Albert Paley got his start. I have friends in Rochester (also friends of his) who tell stories of him going around on trash day to get scrap metal for his sculptures before the sanitation department could haul it away. 

Great looking bird, Das. 

9 hours ago, Cincinnatus said:

Das - really neat hummingbird - amazing.

Finished three more projects for an upcoming competitive trail ride.  They are using them as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.

Wow! Pumpkins and a turkey out of horseshoes? That's really cool! Nice work!

4 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

From start to finish how many hours do you have in

Hmm.. wasnt really tracking it but looking back at my picture time stamps and guessing I started around 8 pm in the shop after Ayana was asleep, I'd say around 9- 9 1/2 hours in the shop. Touch time (autobody flatrate phrase for the bean counters) was a bit less. Lots of time goes into looking at it, thinking of ideas, rooting for parts, looking for a small lost part, looking at references again, having a few beverages, etc..... lol

The good part of getting one like this done is that if I make another, pending parts, I already have some knowledge on what works and where to start. 

Thanks. 

Love the pumpkins and turkey Cincinnatus. 

Helena, good use of found parts. Love seeing what others are making. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, Daswulf said:

Haha yup there is a black hole in my shop too.

Probably the same one that hides whatever tool you drop under the hood of a car till you get another one. The black hole in my shop seems to live where I set things down. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome Helena,

I love your sculpture of a man?, automaton?, or extraterritorial?

Great project, and esthetic.

I use a lot of roadside detritus,  and dumpster gems for mixed media art,  (really sculpture).

You cannot beat the price.

SLAG.

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

I have a bad habit of putting my black cell phone down on my black cooktop. That can take a while to find.

Turning on the cooktop will expedite that for you.

The only time I set my cell phone down is when I plug it into the charger or when I have the timer running. 

Frosty The Lucky.

After finding a suitably-sized stump for my recently acquired truncated anvil, I made my first pair of tongs today! Well, technically it's my second pair, but my first didn't come out nearly as well. They may not look the nicest, but they do hold stuff quite well. Now I don't have to use pliers to hold everything! It was also my first attempt at riveting something. It's definitely much nicer using a real anvil than the piece of rail I was using previously. Here's a photo:

004.thumb.JPG.ed4bb33af8672f0c6abc35681eecb19b.JPG

38 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Turning on the cooktop will expedite that for you.

Not really: it’s induction. Might fry the electronics, but it won’t heat it up. 

Good first tongs, Chelonian. Now make more!

I ran out of time and had to ditch the Damascus hammer for now. I ended up making it out of 4140. I had a really hard time handing this hammer over, I really really liked it. The bois d’ark handle is just so pretty and the grain is really tight. The head is just a hair over 10oz. 

A2E1D5A1-9A89-4C4B-9C74-B762FD8CB88C.jpeg

D06D3145-D565-4028-B24C-5744B5AC4C85.jpeg

A32E5424-D5B3-4B74-8C6F-441BB7F5591E.jpeg

A03A29CB-325D-4992-810D-CF4FFFD8DBE8.jpeg

Had to do some emergency surgery on my reclining chair.  Dang thing broke right at the dogleg in the bar, so you can imagine how fun that was to try and get into position for a simple tack.  Looks like the bar was cracked a little, maybe straight from the factory, and the crack just kept growing until critical mass was hit.

IMG_7038.thumb.JPG.ef967c333d004f05c19a7d2ebef79b0e.JPG

Finished up another dish before working on the recliner.   I love the "night sky" finish on these things.  The pebbled texture is nice, but the dark colors really make the whole thing pop, in my estimation.

IMG_7045.thumb.JPG.22fa44d0d9adf3989e648a85f05f9de5.JPG