I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thank you! When he was here buying coke (I'll let ya'll figure out what kind, it was $25 for a 50lb bag..) he had mentioned that he'd been wanting to make a hammer out of some cable and so I thought that would be a cool Idea, and I had wanted to make a damascus hammer for a while, and thought why not. forged from 1" (or maybe a little larger) cable, folded over once to have a larger chunk of steel.

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally started an electrolysis tank. Electrode plate is about 1/8"x6"x18" steel. 

First candidate in an old 11"x3/4" spike I found while metal detecting. Surface rust knocked off. 

Its in line of sight to the plate so now to wait and see how it works. At a guess it's maybe around 16 gallons of water and around 3 table spoons of PH+ in the tote. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Das....couple of things. Make sure your clamps are in good contact with bare metal, not rust. Just like charging a battery, when you wiggle the clamps. Also I'm not sure what you mean by Ph+, but you should have at least 1 Tbls. of washing soda, lye or whatever per gal. of electrolyte. Your clamps will take a beating if they are in the electrolyte........           Just sayin'                       Dave

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I will make sure to have a better "bite on the work pieces. Actually I might not. And try to get them out of the soup. 

Mad far as the PH+ my friend that has done electrolysis gave me a bottle. He marked it PH+ ( as in the pool chemical) washing soda, and sodium carbonate. Which I would think is the chemical used all in all. 

I will adjust things and see how it goes. 

Apreciate the advice. 

Actually, I came back up to the shop and it looked like the clamp was getting more a workout then the workpiece. I ground down to metal on the workpiece where it's clamped and suspended the clamps higher. 

How can I connect the work piece without it being in the soup? Or is that just a necessary evil?  I can replace the clamps if need be. 

image.jpg

Das, I apologize if I'm barging in here, but to suspend my workpiece, I wrap it once or twice with heavy steel wire a time or two and hang it from a non-conductive rod (wood, PVC, etc.) and affix my clamp to the wire. That way it's out of the solution.  Good luck with the electrolysis.

What I do, Is I drill a shallowish about 1/8" hole, and put in a self tapping screw. Then I take a piece of copper wire, and rap it around the screw, and then attach the other end to a piece of rebar going across like you have the piece of wood. That way, you can put several items on the piece of rebar submerged under, and just attach the clamp to the end and your then able to get current through all of the pieces.

Littleblacksmith 

I understand. I just liked drilling them over grinding them, cause grinding down to bare shiny metal shows up better, compared to a shallow hole (I don't drill all the way through), and most times I fill the hole with a little bit of epoxy and you can't even notice.

Littleblacksmith