I Forge Iron

Portaband table

At the request of JHCC here is a little bit of information on my portaband table I built today. 

The base is a RR tie plate turned upside down (I plan to build a stand to fit the track space allowing me to swap out tools like my belt grinder) and the uprights are 1 5/8” 16 gauge square and 1 5/8x3” rectangle. The uprights are about 9.25” tall with a .25” piece of plate on top for the table. The table is 7x5”. I used the bandsaw to cut the blade path then I widened it with a cut off disc on my angle grinder. I welded the table down the outside and spot welded it several times on the inside. In order to find my hole placement I took the factory foot off, turned it upside down, and run a pencil around in circles around the inside of the hole. I did get one hole just a little off but it wasn’t enough to give me too much trouble. Right now for my trigger holder I have an old cold cut tied to the plate on one side and run through the handle back through the plate.

If I had heavier tube and heavier plate I’d used it instead but I used what I have “in stock”.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask. 

16C7090A-2EE9-477D-BEC4-A0E442BE5C98.jpeg

8E9D2FBE-0599-4822-8DAD-0D68A455346B.jpeg

6C9155D9-87E5-4E46-9FC7-734610CC257C.jpeg

EACBD6C2-F355-45CA-9A24-D76FA5FC31C5.jpeg

BA8135A5-8EE2-4E98-BE3F-E5F3D62C82BE.jpeg

I built a stand for my porta-band and I have to say it's the handiest!

The last photo in the series reminds me: the lower guide bearings take a beating. Small pieces, grit etc all pass thru that slot in the top plate. Keep a set of replacement bearings and screws on hand.

Steevo I actually wondered about that when seeing the metal dust piling up under the saw as I used it for a little bit. I’ll definitely try to remember to get some the next time I’m at the store. I have a good spot just for that kind of thing in my top drawer of my filing cabinet in the shop. 

• 2 weeks later...

I built something similar at least 20 years ago and it's been a very useful addition to the shop. I held the trigger closed with a hose clamp and put a switch up front to turn the saw on and off.

Some time ago I built an accessory stock support that makes it much safer to cut irregular pieces that won't sit flat on the table . This is also much easier on the blades .

The narrow  stock support is made with two pieces of angle iron  bolted together with a spacer for the blade. It gets clamped to the table and would work with any kind of vertical bandsaw. I made one out of wood for my wood cutting bandsaw.

IMG_4515.thumb.JPG.54381beb4b9effc8a8f1d35ebe37525f.JPG

I just had some pieces that didn’t sit flat I had to cut. I tried my new setup here instead of the cutoff wheel on my angle grinder and ruined a blade. I will definitely be making that angle iron setup you have there. 

I have a foot pedal switch I’m thinking about putting that inline on my saw cord and making a more permanent trigger holder. 

There's a stick lubricant available for use on bandsaw blades that helps with both speed and ease of cutting.

The brand I use is Castrol ,but there are others.

I find that good quality  Lennox or Starrett 10-14 variable tooth blades seem to last the longest on general  cutting in steel 

I didn't see this post until this morning.

I just ordered this on Monday. I ordered it with the optional foot switch. http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V10-Portaband-Table-_p_64.html

Michael, I doubt that I would have been able to turn out something half as well built as the table you made... Very well done!

I asked for the Swag table for Christmas!  I have an old Craftsman table saw that could relatively easily be converted into a beefy table for my portaband but I’m not certain I want to destroy the saw.  Plus, the Swag table will take up so little space.  

For me, I get so little time in the shop that projects like this = no forging possibly for weeks.  I’m lucky if I get five hours in a week.  My wife promised me time to try to make some simple gifts for people this weekend and yet here I am, two days in a row, watching the kids while she is out doing things she had planned all along.