I Forge Iron

Steel Tariff

With the pending Tariff on steel and also aluminum do you think the tax will be passed on to the consumer as always, and do you think it may  gravely effect you. Higher cost, higher prices, less work?

Right , sometimes we send our raw materials oversees , have it milled and such then shipped back here, was just wondering if the tariff was say like a reentry tax, trying to get the milling to return to the US

6 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Tariff is only for imports. not American made goods

So what is the current % of U.S. produced / imported steel.  I was looking but couldn't find current figures.  Also might raise the price of scrap?

The EPA is only as tough as the Administration that supports it's regulations.

The current Administration has been rolling back "regulations" at a never-before-seen rate.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now here's the thing that's much harder to quantify.

"Prices" expressed as numbers, are totally irrelevant.

Whether something costs a dime, ... or a dollar, ... is meaningless, until you weigh-it-off against how much of your precious TIME and LABOR you must expend to acquire any particular item.

If you're flipping burgers at minimum wage, a dollar-a-pound for new steel, is expensive.

But, ... if bringing the high paying manufacturing jobs back to your town gets you a much better paying job, that same pound of steel actually cost's you less of your time and energy.

I figure it's just like gasoline, if you use it, need it, want it yer going to pay the asking price. If you sell what you make pass along the increase to who buys it. And NO, you don't have to like it!

Instead of flat tariffs, tax those things that sent American companies overseas (I know this is getting close to politics) if American EPA standards make US manufacturing to expensive, then tax foren goods buy the amount of pollution created in it’s manufacture, not a terrif but a tax charged on all goods, foreign or domestic. This goes for other things, use slave or cheild labor, we have a tax for how inhuman the working environment is.... levels the playing feild for first world manufacturing, and encourages 2nd world countries to clean up there manufacturing. Not unlike the proposed carbon tax but expanded to other polutiants as well. If a country or manufacturer won’t allow us to inspect, then we tax there product at the highest assumed rate. 

As for us as smiths, material costs pale incomparesen to our labor, and we can generate less waste as we can make useful items from drops and leave less in the way of shavings and grinding dust on the floor.

2 hours ago, Reeltree said:

Right , sometimes we send our raw materials oversees , have it milled and such then shipped back here, was just wondering if the tariff was say like a reentry tax, trying to get the milling to return to the US

You may end up paying a tariff both ways because if you add a tariff to goods from here we can do the same to yours, like recently an aircraft maker in the UK had a 300% tariff on sales in the us imposed, such things can work both ways or even mean places dont buy your goods

protectionism of one area can affect others that are unrelated

32 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

You may end up paying a tariff both ways because if you add a tariff to goods from here we can do the same to yours, like recently an aircraft maker in the UK had a 300% tariff on sales in the us imposed, such things can work both ways or even mean places dont buy your goods

Truth!

In 1920 and the early1930’s, Hover’s anti-free trade  policies, the most protectionist  tariffs in American history (so far), and the resulting trade war, had disastrous consequences. Not only in the USA.

2 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

True, but since we have shipped most of our production overseas, how much do we really have left to ship? 

from here it looks like a lot of US stuff actually originates in asia or south america like snap-on and harleys and lots of other stuff, from the makers to you then a tariff when you send them here, also you need to export to be able to import and one of our problems here is outsourcing so we buy things made in other countries and then complain about no jobs making things here, people want cheaper and quality drops.

then you get things you cant import to the US, I make armouring tools including ball stakes from ball bearings up to 4" diameter that I buy new but it is against the law to send them there due to some US helicopter maker buying bearings from china and a helicopter accident

To the original question ... 

7 hours ago, Reeltree said:

All you need to do is choose a country that has a free trade agreement with the US ... if you did not scrap the lot that is. I buy lots of stuff from the US and pay no tarifs at all if I can prove it was manufactured in the US. Free trade and low wages ... you have to do your research.