End of day relaxing

jeremy k

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Late evenings are nice. I love the sounds of wildlife. Crickets and frogs. The coyotes usually sing every night. The occasional sound of a cow bellowing or a donkey braying. I can hear a horse whinnieing in the distance sometimes. There is a pair of owls that talk to each other. We have whippoorwills in the summer, but I think they are gone now. And last but not least, is the light snoring of my dogs. 

Love the owl. Right after we had enough house built to move in, many years ago there was a resident Great Horned owl that hunted here often. Lost a barn cat to it but that cat had zero survival instincts. Not only would it stroll across open ground it loved to roll in mud puddles in the MIDDLE of the driveway, right in front of the barn.That spot is wide open from 4 directions. The cat might not have been eaten by the own one of the Goshawks might have gotten her. 

Snicker Doodle, her litter mate was wary to the max and lived 16 years. That's pretty good for a barn cat. We have resident moose, ravens song birds and a squirrel that decided it likes our back deck. 

Living in the woods is nice if you can keep the trees from getting you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Love that barred owl. Great vocals! We get barking owls around here, but right now I am listening to Curlews screaming blue murder outside the window. Some folks get freaked out by that sound but I like it.

No deer around this place, but there's brushtail possum helping himself to the bird feed and we often have these wallabies calling by:

DSC_7245 (3).JPG

agile wallaby.jpg

On 9/12/2017 at 4:31 AM, ausfire said:

No deer around this place, but there's brushtail possum helping himself to the bird feed and we often have these wallabies calling by:

Ausfire, Australian critters have always fascinated me. Those are some amazing pics! 

My favorite part of where we live is the view we have of the sunset in the evening. We've thought about taking a picture of it every night and making a photo book...Sunset.jpg.af0507d41a58325d292188825de1cc2c.jpg

A week or so ago I was going to take down this dead tree so it couldn't block my driveway when it fell (probably at an inconvenient time), but I changed my mind when I saw that it was feeding a pair of pileated woodpeckers. There's one at the top and at the bottom of the frame. My bird watching friends said that pileated woodpeckers are not easy to spot, and pairs are usually only seen in mating season.

Video link - 20170903_092940.mp4

You could tie a rope high on that tree, anchor it in the direction you want it to go and hang a bucket of dirt, sand, etc. in the middle (or close) to get it to go a less undesirable direction. Glenn's trick. Use nylon or poly rope so it doesn't rot, sun damage will take a couple few years to effect it. 

I don't the name of the peckerwoods we have but they peck a LOT faster, they sound like machine guns. I think they have black heads with white spots or stripes, can't recall. There are red headed ones too but you don't see them as often. 

Cool birds I like them but they drive Falki our Icelandic Sheep dog absolutely crazy. Alerting on birds is a hard wired Icy trait, it's bred into them. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The tree where the woodpeckers feed would only be an issue if it fell over the driveway, which may not be the case. If i take it down I deprive myself of seeing them. As long as all they peck on is a dead tree, I'm willing to leave them to it. We have opportunity to see wildlife at our place on frequent occasions; black bears, deer, raccoons, coyotes, fishers and other small animals. Most leave us alone, although we've lost a few chickens, had bear and coons in the trash; goats, dogs and cats have all been ok. I appreciate seeing all the other member's pictures, natural wonders are so uplifting.

Me too, I love seeing wild life, it's nice living in the forest. DRATS I can't find any of the recent pics I took of Mother and baby moose having lunch in our west yard. 

This pic is outside Teenylittlemetalguy's dining room window in Anchorage. The city, not the outskirts. It's pretty common for the news to carry video of moose and the occasional bear wandering around down town or into a store, restaurant, etc. A black bear is becoming famous in a South East city, I don't recall which one. 

Frosty The Lucky.

59b9a1a296730_MtnViewMoose..jpg.d666d7657d295a92db0184f54e2641a9.jpg

Frosty....question about mooses (or are they moosi??).  A recent insurance company advertisement down here in the lower 48 has a bull moose getting into a fight with a kid's swing set in a campground.  Moose creates havoc, tears stuff up and the clip ends with the moose bellowing like a COW. Now, do they sound like that, or is it just for the sake of the commercial?