I Forge Iron

End of day relaxing

jeremy k

I've never heard a moose make a sound like that, they don't seem to do a lot of talking. Grunts, snorts and a rather musical trumpeting sort of thing and a sort of goatlike burbling while in the rut but nothing very bovine I've heard. The swing set thing is very real. It's coming into rutting season people are urged to take the seats off their swing sets. Fish and Game has to dart one or two a season to get them untangled if they can't scrape them off on a tree or SUV. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moose are the largest deer still roaming Earth. Google "Alces Alces" I tried for videos but they're all hunting, I was hoping for some of the ones we see on TV news. Heck an episode of "Myth Busters" about moose auto collisions shot in Anchorage was upstaged by a large  moose walking down 4th. avenue, down town Anchorage. 

They're not as stupid as sheep but a box of rocks is a close match. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Bull moose are majestic for sure. But great intellects they are not.

A bull moose in the fall rut often has a bad case of testosterone poisoning.  They have been known to often charge diesel train engines on the northern trans- Canada C.N.R. train route in northern Ontario. Each bull gets one shot at it and ends his career. In other words, the over-sexed bull loses out to the engine.

But there are others to take their place every autumn.

I sure miss the north country & real winters.

Sigh.

SLAG.

Frosty,

said, "Especially on a plate"

&    SLAG says, "like  Moose Vindaloo, Moose Kahri, or Moose Biryani"?

I never considered that. I may have to get me a moose.

Problem:

Missouri does not have mooses. That's what Marg says, and she's from Missouri.

SLAG.

You'll just have to show her won't you? There has to be something to coax Margie into country with a real winter and no hurricanes, moose just might be the ticket.

Remember moose is really lean it needs a little fat, bacon is traditional goodness. Mother's old fashioned roast beef recipe + bacon works exceptionally well with moose. Heck everything is good made with moose.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jer,

I'm so jealous.

In North West India they often cook with yoghurt also other dishes use oil. In South India & most of Malaysia they use coconut milk to carry the spices and ingredients.

We'll trade recipes one day soon.

Regards, to all.

SLAG.

Frosty,

This thread has inspired me to start developing a wonderful recipe for, wait for this,

MOOSE MOUSSE !

But first I have to acquire a Missouri moose.

They are rare or non-existent. (we're not quite sure).

Marg thinks I am a little nuts. But I do not agree. (she IS entitled to her opinion, but I am entitled to discount same).

Tally ho to the hunt

I will keep you informed of my progress.

SLAG.

Jer read this drivel rapidly. It may be fugacious.

The Mods are on to me.

You are correct; Marg is certainly in error!  It's obvious with you hanging around these parts that "little" is totally wrong!

Does the use of a train engine help with the making of Moose Pâté  ?

Now I'm hungry; got pinto's, (the bean not the car!), bacon, green chili and onions simmered for a couple of days in the crock pot in the fridge.  Microwave Ho!

Uh, Thomas, you simmered your chili in a crock pot in the fridge for a couple days and you think Slag is a little more than crazy? Oh, that'd result in Pinto pate and a modestly bruised moose.

Slag: "Moose moose" is the old time Alaskan ladies way of referring to moose droppings. Betcha Moose Mousse would be a hit up here.

Here's one for you on the realer side, Moose cordon blue. Cube a nice thin moose steak, season, and herb it, wrap it around a few strips of bacon and Swiss cheese. Roll it up, bread it and apply heat of your choice. I like to roll it in bread dough but plain, spitted over a fire is yummy too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

The SLAG Industrial L.L.C. test kitchens will be working on the moose mousse development project as soon as we bag a Missouri moose.

Your moose Cordon Bleu recipe sounds lovely.

I have lived a deprived life.

Me crazy?  Maybe,  I have never been normal.

Regards to all,

SLAG

Slag; I've always considered "Normal" to be an insult. What I look for in friends/minions/apprentices/students is that "spark of Divine Madness" that results in late night craziness at the forge as we try to recreate a thousand year old quenching recipe or try out some of the "suggestions" on how wootz was made that were made before it was figured out---none of them has reproduced the wootz patterns in steel yet.

As for myself when I tell my wife that someone/something is driving me crazy---she just tells me "That's not a drive; that's a 'gimme putt'...." Of course I had to watch myself when i got married as my wife ran the front office at a private psychiatric hospital; and in that state it only took 3 Dr's to sign you in against your will----and she had 6+ that would sign anything she brought to them and said "sign here"...(Truth, they even offered us a free room for our honeymoon if my wife would keep the place going while we were there; she had been hired before the place was even finished being built and had created all the processes and manuals for the office! After our first child one of the Drs opened a private practice and asked my wife to run the office with a crib next to her desk!   So now you know what it takes to stay married to me for 33+ years:  Long experience with the deranged!)

Normal are people who lack imagination. Just another word for average actually and fully half of them are below average. I figure people who think I'm normal are just ignorant.

When it comes to people who drive me crazy, I have nothing but thanks for some of them. The rest I wouldn't mind terribly if they did something else but . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

Depends on the dumplings!  I've had some in Germany I loved and some that were library paste balls.  My wife does a chicken and dumplings to die for; she always makes a double batch of dumplings as we will fish them out and fight over them otherwise. Now we're adding a small can of hatch chili to the pot during the cold months.