About 3-4 years ago I had my first experience with a fire accident, and it just happened to be catching myself on fire! I was home alone at the time and working on canning a large batch of... I don't even remember what. Anyway, I leaned a little too far over the turkey burner to stir the contents of the pot, and the flame caught my skirt. I was wearing a few layers because it was a chilly fall day, and it took a minute to before I realized I was on fire. I distinctly remember the smell of burning cotton. I didn't really have time to panic, thankfully I was outside on our porch and the grass was right there. I dropped down on my knees over the fire and smothered and beat the daylights out of it. I had a hole the size of a saucer in the top few layers I was wearing, but thankfully I wasn't burnt at all. Scary, though!
No, I didn't use a fire extinguisher and I wasn't in the shop. I hope the story still counts.