I Forge Iron

Show me your Hardies.. Cold, hot, cutoff..

Here are my 3 hot cut hardies. 

Pete ( Crazy Ivan) and I made the diagonal hot cut that is in the hardy hole. ( his idea, lol I can't take any credit other then striking) 

I love the diagonal hot cut. The other two I do use sometimes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

I found an old masonry chisel at the scrap yard. Hammered the beat up double bevel into a single for no other reason other than I like the reasonably clean cut the flat side makes. Didn't have any 1" square so I used 4 pieces of 1/2" for the shank. A little time on the belt grinder and it works fine with no heat treatment.

hot cut hardy (1) - Copy.JPG

hot cut.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's my most recent one, made from a rolled-up piece of truck leaf spring. Note the small fuller on one end of the edge, for cutting part way through a workpiece. I got the idea from one of basher's videos; you make the cut and then round out its bottom to prevent a cold shut.

IMG_3551.JPG

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Jennifer.  Things re going to be slow going on the forge. 

Lot's going on my my "real" life right now.  In fact, I framed the concrete form for a 600# bottom step for my back porch yesterday.  Waiting out heavy thunderstorms to make a decision whether or not to pour concrete today. Also starting to prepare for our vacation in a couple of weeks.  Finishing up 6 wood carving knives, sharpening kits and leather strops for my carving class that starts in Oct as well as designing projects for the 10 week class period.  Little wife is presently participating in 3 galleries around the State (which means me doing a lot of driving to deliver pictures and take her to openings) and she just got a teaching studio in town.  A couple of days ago she was asked to send a portfolio of her work to a gallery in NYC. .......which means I've a lot of photography work ahead of me.  I meet myself coming around corners a lot these days. :blink:

• 1 month later...

This is my very first attempt at forging anything. My intent was to make a hot cut . Frosty kindly pointed out what I made was actually a cold cut. Will be trying to make a hot cut again soon, this time with a little more knowledge than last time. Anyway here it is . 4140 pin used in heavy equipment.

7D04E839-2450-4ED4-ACA7-4BEABC621361.jpeg

5A85C4A9-C7E0-401D-98A9-61EBCA427BD6.jpeg

79768A6C-B34F-44E6-AD4A-0B15896D30DB.jpeg

1E4354BA-6C2E-4B7C-9A64-8A4CFD9CDF48.jpeg

A2FB95DD-5E8A-4FE2-80FB-625D7292A9E3.jpeg