I Forge Iron

Zebra striped bowie

rhitee93

Hi all.  I wanted to share a pic of a knife I just finished.  This is a Christmas gift for my father-in-law.  It's a low layer count twist to create a bold zebra like pattern.  This is my first attempt at a true pattern rather than random, and it was pretty educational.  Actually this is only knife #9 for me, so they have all be very educational.

This one is 13 layers of 1095 and 15N20 twisted about once per inch. The guard is brass, and the handle is desert ironwood burl with African black wood, nickle silver, and copper accents.

I'm still working on a sheath, and it will probably go straight from finished to under the Christmas tree, so y'all get a pic of the incomplete setup...

Thanks for looking!

Zebra Bowie 1_zps53352fls.JPG

Here is another pic...

Zebra Bowie 2_zpsa9q7ryt3.JPG

Thanks all.  I'm highly critical of my work (as many of us are), but I am pretty happy with this one.  There are a few little problems that I am kicking myself over.  I'll get those things right next time.

Oh, yes the "Hoof" was intentional.  Thanks for noticing :)

Beautiful blade, I prefer high contrast and that's bold, people would notice it a long way away.

I have to say the handle would make it a wall hanger at my place, the end would drive me crazy in use. That's me and a matter of taste though. fit and finish look seamless and the materials are beautiful all round.

Heck of a good job, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

37 minutes ago, rhitee93 said:

Let's face it, the knife was designed as a wall hanger.  It's an art knife.  It's properly heat treated, and honed to a good edge; it could be used, but it never will be...

I would be to worried to hurt something that gorgeous. 

11 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

come on Frosty that hoof effect is cool.

Yes it is, VERY. It'd just be uncomfortable in my hand to use. I'd make it it's own lit display case and put it on prominent display were I to acquire it. The only thing missing as an art piece is a brass horse shoe.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Also late to the game, but looks great. 

One question to the more experienced with Damascus patterns, if I may... I notice on the final blade there are a few twists (X's) that are the nickel steel and a few that are carbon, not entirely uniform throughout the length of the blade (not a critique, mind you).  Is this normal for a twist pattern?