I Forge Iron

Beastly weather

ianinsa

I was fixing up an old bandsaw in my shop this afternoon, thinking it's Sunday afternoon and 38 degrees Celsius in here , time to get in the house , grab a Snapple and lie under a ceiling fan and read the paper(tough life I know) well the first thing I notice is " US freezes over in 'Arctic storm of the century' "  and I had been whining about the weather.

I hope this finds you guys & gals safe and warm, while mother nature's bashing away at you. 

We had snow/ice sufficient to shut everything down here in northern ALABAMA on Friday, though in all fairness it really doesn't take much snow or ice to shut Alabama down, we don't exactly have infrastructure or equipment on standby for the white stuff.  It's been too, too cold here this winter, we are very ready for Spring though we never look forward to what spring brings our way - tornadoes.   

I'll just be happy when it warms up enough for me to quit having to dump my quench tub after every forging session to keep it from freezing.    brrrrr....   we live in the south so we DON'T have to deal with winters, this isn't right....

On the topic of ice and slipping. Most of you in southern states probably don't even know what ice cleats are. They're any of a number of traction aids that can be slipped on shoes or boots to grip ice, I have a pair that have carbide studs.

Anyway, for folk way down south, it's unlikely anybody's even going to know what you're asking for and no golf cleats aren't the same thing though they MAY work. So, not having cleats available what to do? I know I'm well past my bounce by date and I'm sure a lot of you are too.

Here's an old stream fishing trick that works a treat on ice. Turn an old pair of wool socks inside out and slip them over your shoes and you won't slip on ice, or slimy rocks in a stream. Be VERY careful walking onto linoleum or steel from outdoors! On hard or waxed surfaces they can be slick as . . . socks on hardwood but coming in from icy conditions the wool will have ice and or snow stuck to them so they will be VERY VERY slick on a polished floor or a pickup truck bed!!

Frosty The Lucky.

Western Maine, Eastern Seaboard, above 45 Deg N Lat.  snow banks are running about 7 to 9 feet.  Makes pulling out onto the road very dicey and exciting. Ambient temp right now is -2 F. Overnight will run to -12 F.  Skiing is phenomenal. Working outdoors, not so good.  This global warming is a killer. All you guys in the warmer latitudes, enjoy. 

Peter 

A guy I never met before stops me in the entrance of the food store and says (in french) : «Are you as F*** tired of this as I am?» I said I was and we both knew we were talking about the -20Cº and -30Cº we have been having for the past weeks ... and I do not want to remember how many  F*** weeks!

(To the admins : I must be allowed the F*** since I am french ... and I do not know what I am saying ...  )

I cant forge because my blower is to darn heavy! I put a household electric iron on it and on the anvil in the morning. But if I move away for a while, the non freezing oil in my blower (Champion 400) does not freeze but it does get very, very heavy! And if I work hard and get hot, when I go the bench vise to do cold work, the door is right there and I freeze my back even if I heat my wood stove. Cant win! Fed up! F's ...