I Forge Iron

RR spike suggestions!

I had a friend with a bandsaw who was going to cut some RR spikes for me to make a few crosse, but I must not have been too clear with my telephoned directions, because he cut them lengthwise on both sides the entire length of the spike.

I'm looking for ideas on what they could be used for. You Guys (and Gals) are pretty imaginative, what do you think?

Make it a challenge of sorts!

Maybe a coat hook, with 2 scrolls at the top and 2 hooks at the bottom with the spike head as a place for a hat in the middle?

A business card holder?

Any other ideas?

post-22216-0-81259500-1419356173_thumb.j

post-22216-0-11040100-1419356195_thumb.j

I like the idea of a coat hook. It will have a rustic look with spike head.

Or you could make a stick man. Cut the spike head off and weld one of the pieces to the head to form the body, and cut the other one into four pieces for arms and legs. Don't forget a face for the little man.

He may have misunderstood the instructions, but hey, he certainly made good straight cuts.
I think if you fire welded the ends together, they would make great basket weave handles for fire pokers and such.

You could flatten the head so it stands on it and use the split section as a candle, bowl, ? holder.

Flip it over and turn the split sections into legs and forge a face on it's head for a critter, cute, scary, creepy or just plain weird; Looney Toons fashion weird that is.

It could turn into a muti lantern hanger, drive or hook over a limb style.

Frosty The Lucky.

Love the ideas!

I wont get to forge until after the Holidays, but I'll let you know what I did with it!

I got a new gas forge for Christmas (I peeked!), so I'll be spending a bit of time getting used to using gas instead of coal!

Happy Holidays to you all!

You could flatten the head so it stands on it and use the split section as a candle, bowl, ? holder.

Flip it over and turn the split sections into legs and forge a face on it's head for a critter, cute, scary, creepy or just plain weird; Looney Toons fashion weird that is.

It could turn into a muti lantern hanger, drive or hook over a limb style.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking along the same lines as Frosty. After flattening or dishing the head, draw out the arms , scroll the tips and curl back over the head. I may have to steal my own idea : ) . Sometimes mistakes are just inspiration in disguise.... tell him thanks.

Weld the pointy end to 30" of square stock with a nice solid weld.

Then heat and twist the spike to make a decorative handle.

Or twist the spike, then untwist it to make a basket.  With the head of the spike serving as the foot, you'd have some really neat table legs!  Nobody ever puts basket twists at the bottom of a leg.

Draw out each leg a bit, then twist each leg, then weld the points together then weld to a poker, then twist the handle basket.

You could also draw out and round each leg, then scroll the four legs up, or down and use that as a foot for a table leg, still have the spike head.

How many do you have?

Really big cotter pins
Do a ball in a cage handle
Draw them out,and braid them
Hold sheetmetal corners together while performing another operation like soldering
Trivets-curl the legs back until the tips are even with the head
Candle holders
Menorah using 2 of them
Do a different type of twist on each leg for samples to show others
Caltrops
Decorative door pulls-2 up, 2 down, or sideways
Pitchfork
Tiny jack stands for something
Big clothes pins
Ninja stars for railroad cops