I Forge Iron

Is it legal to forge in my backyard?

I couldn't answer answer your question but I can give you a suggestion. You could call city hall and ask them about the legality. Depending on what type of neighborhood you live in and what kind of noise ordinance might be there may have some interesting effects. For example most cities near me have a noise ordinance where at 9pm you cant be making a lot of noise thats disturbing people. When I'm forging (as I'm sure is true with several others) there's a lot of noise being made. I dont want to bother neighbors so i wait until at least 9 am to start and try to wrap it up by 8.

I dont know if anything i said is helpful but i hope so.

I'd think as was said noise would be the main issue. My neighbors hated me when I lived on the golf course lol. I tried to be considerate of hours but it was still frowned upon. I don't have to worry about that anymore thank goodness. You could check ordinances and if it's ok go for it. Key is it's "my backyard" as you say, just keep neighbors in mind.
Heck if u can't hammer there u can come forge in my backyard. :)

Propane shouldn't be a big deal. However some areas in very dry times have restrictions on "open fires" and so on. California and some other western states come to mind. The idea being that they don't want embers and such to ignite dry grasses and have wind driven fires. Common sense can go a long ways, but if there is a fire restriction in place, the fines can be quite steep even if you don't cause an issue. If there IS a fire and it's found you are at fault with fire restrictions you don't even want to think about what the cost is going to be.

My county has a "no burning" policy. The only open solid fuel fires allowed are cooking fires. Propane forges do not seem to be an issue, but noise from hammering and grinding is.

Also, no businesses (other than paper pushing types) allowed in residential areas. YMMV

Easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission from a local govt agency. Yes, some cities have ordinances banning blacksmithing in residential areas. With that being said, always be on good terms with your neighbors, see if they have an issue with it, let them know that they can tell you when it is too loud, and get forging. My neighbor needed to do some digging late at night, and asked if it would bother me. I said no, and never even heard the backhoe once my head hit the pillow. Also it may help to invite a curious neighbor over for some hammer time.

If the wind is blowing and the ground is dry use common sense. 

Other times, keep a 5 gallon bucket of water and a fire extinguisher beside the forge. Use the garden hose to wet down a 20 foot area around the forge in all directions. Keep the hose pressurized while you work, and wet everything down again just before you shut down.  If the fire department were to show up, and are understanding, invite them to come back and play in YOUR fire at any time. Give them $20 for their effort and gas before they leave and thank them for their concern. 

I agree with everybody that noise is probably going to be the biggest problem in your backyard with the neighbors.. One thing you might consider?? Make certain gifts for your neighbors on the Forge.. Plant hangers, maybe a barbecue tool or fork, roasting fork for the marshmallows or hotdogs for the family that does camping.. They may find you user-friendly and a plus for the neighborhood

It's a fine thing to be "thoughtful" and concerned about others, ... TO A POINT.

But I would NOT ask "permission" from anyone, to pursue a "hobby".

I'm a "live and let live" sort of guy, ... but won't be "put upon" by folks who can't mind their own business.

( When the guy next door quit "tinkering" with his Harley, ... ALL WEEKEND, ... then we can talk about the noise from my shop. )

Most of the time any zoning isues will be complaint driven. So no complaints no problem. But the truth is you wont be any noiser than your neibors lawn service.

If you have a plan, for fire safety, smoke and noise abatment. You wont have to much troubel. Forging at 6 am on a saterday or sunday isnt going to make friends, nor is forging aftter 8pm on a week day.
All bets are off if yiu have a day sleeping neigbor, but again a little atemt at courtesy will help.

Welcome aboard Milwaukee glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be happy to discover how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

As said already, it's easier to get forgiven than permission. Do NOT call city hall and ask if anything is legal. Any gvt. office has a firm policy that if they don't know or it may even be a question the ONLY safe answer is NO. I spent 30 years working for the State Gvt. seen it happen over and over, even if all the guy had to do is crack a book and check. NO is a CYA response.

Drop into a local fire station when the guys are washing the rig or otherwise not cleaning up after a call. do NOT park in or in front of the driveway! Anyway just ask to talk to the Chief if it's convenient and ask him. NO specifics like your location, name, call from YOUR phone, etc. just asking out of interest is all.

Yeah, it's coy to the point of . . . well.

You might want to consider the same tactic talking to your insurance company. Note I said your company not agent? Another anonymous call form someone else's phone to another office with a question out of general curiosity.

Just be careful how you ask, you'll probably be fine just doing it at least till a neighbor complains but.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm in Kenosha, and work out of my garage.

I use a propane forge to keep coal smoke from drifting around the neighborhood.

I have neighbors close by and keep my banging limited to 'normal' hours.

Never too late in the day, never too early on the weekends.

Or if I need to work later, I will try and schedule "quiter or softer" work for later in they day, and haven't run into a problem yet.

Another thought about noise is canvas tarps make good sound barriers, Just hanging one over a fence next to the anvil will make more difference than you'd believe. Not as much as considerate loud noise hours will but every bit helps if your neighbors are sensitive.

I used to blacksmith in a trailer court, my next door neighbor's trailer was about 30' from the anvil and I got away with it for years. I practiced good PR, considerate hours, minimum smoke and did all kinds of little repairs and such. Everybody within shouting distance has sharp kitchen knives, scissors, garden shears, etc. I fixed kitchen chairs, a couple lawn mower decks. I can NOT tell you how that kit managed to break lawnmower decks but he did.

None of the PR I did cost me more than a little time, welding wire, 70/30 gas and friendly talk. If I took my kit out of the shed I'd have every kid within a block hanging out watching. There were some pretty rigid rules for anyone who wanted to watch. do NOT cross the line unless I said you could. No horsing around and clean language. I couldn't send anyone home but I could make them leave the yard and I had a canvas tarp on a screen stand for noise damping I could stand up so extra bad kids couldn't watch at all. All I ever had to do is point that out, never had to block the view. The neighborhood kids behaved very well, they lived up to my expectations of them.

Heck, my neighbors loved me, sharp knives and minor repairs made me a good guy, even when I had to take a grinder to 10' lengths of 4" channel for a window bar project.

Of course you can't live in a trailer court without getting to know the neighbors at least on a first name basis but BBQs and back fence talk was the norm. It was too crowded but it was a good place to live, everybody watched out for each other and cut slack. It was definitely NOT the place for strong arm burglary or armed robbery. A yell for help would bring a bunch of neighbors, you were never out of shouting distance from at least 6 family homes.

Good grief, didn't that turn into a reminiscent ramble.

Frosty The Lucky.

my anvil does not ring too much thank goodness.   But I have also done whatever I can to stop it.   I really do not care for a lot of ringing.   A nice ring might mean a good anvil or music to someones ears but for me it is just...   A high pitched hearing damage creating RING!   I have some magnets and a chain wrapped around it that really helps.  If my anvil really rang alot I would complain to me!    So I think the ringing part can be dealt with.   Grinding sounds like normal home activities unless it is excessive.   Everyone should be able to do some grinding at home.

I'm lucky. No-one knows I'm forging except me and the cows. And they don't mind a bit.

Yeah and I looked up last year while I was making noise forging and there was a deer about 60 yards away munching on greenery.    he didn't seem to mind either until I stopped what I was doing and called my wife out to look.    Then I think he sensed (after a couple of minutes) that the normal order of things had been disrupted and maybe it was time to vamoose.