I Forge Iron

Locking nuts

There are several ways to lock a nut into place during an assembly.

Lock washers or split washers.

Double nutting, first nut tight against the work and the 2nd tight against the first nut.

Acorn nuts, those domed top nuts with the plastic inserts 

Metal bend up ears on a metal washer

A hole through the bolt through which a carter pin or wire is threaded and attached.

Tack Welding

This type locknut is popular with millwrights and indeed is hardly suitable for any other king of work. A plain nut is slotted with a saw, as shown, and the small part is driven down into a previously made center-punch mark. J. B, Murphy

Any other ways to lock a nut into place?

1. If you never plan on removing the nut, you can peen the top of the bolt, mushrooming it slightly.

2. One can take a center punch and punch on the interface between the nut and bolt, deforming some of the threads.  Still possible to remove, but difficult.

3. There are machine nuts that are slightly oval shaped on one end.  Requires a lot of torque to put on, and a lot of umph to get off.  I do not remember their name.

Proper tork also helps. A bolt stretches ever so slightly. A grade 0, 3, 5 and 8 bolt all have different specks, and a fine thread clamps tighter than a corse. Longer bolts are also more resistant to loosening do to vibration.
Lube the threads and use of washers will require less tork to get the same stretch.

I use Loctite as well, Red as a rule, can always use a propane torch to warm it up to get off.  This is what we use on Wood Chippers knifes, brush hog blades, most all bolts on farm machinery that spins fast, really don't like those things flying off. 

We also use the lock nuts with one or two sides dimpled in.  Not for dangerous areas though.       

There are several ways to lock a nut into place during an assembly.

Lock washers or split washers.

Double nutting, first nut tight against the work and the 2nd tight against the first nut.

Acorn nuts, those domed top nuts with the plastic inserts 

Metal bend up ears on a metal washer

A hole through the bolt through which a carter pin or wire is threaded and attached.

Tack Welding

attachicon.gifLocknut.jpg

This type locknut is popular with millwrights and indeed is hardly suitable for any other king of work. A plain nut is slotted with a saw, as shown, and the small part is driven down into a previously made center-punch mark. J. B, Murphy

Any other ways to lock a nut into place?

Your list is fairly complete but if you will forgive me for making these corrections:

1.  An Acorn nut is actually not a locking nut.  The type nut you are referring to is often called a Nylock nut, named for the nylon insert that keeps it from coming loose.

2.  It is actually called a "Cotter Pin", not a Carter Pin.

TC bolts are a bear to take off. Not nessesarily locking, but they hold beams together without fail so I think they may sort of count. Once the bolts are "snapped" You need a three foot cheater bar on your spud wrench and a lot of muscle to break them loose.

-Crazy Ivan

belville_washer.gif  

The Belleville is a disk spring that applies pressure to the connection once you clamp down on it with the proper amount of force. The advantage of this washer is that it applies clamping pressure along a continuous arc pattern, instead of concentrating it at one point the way a split-ring lockwasher does. While you should use a split-ring washer only at the nut end of the connection (normally), you can use Belleville washers in tandem. One at the nut end and one at the bolt head end. This is a common way to use these washers, especially when assembling bus bar.

Most often, you'll find Belleville washers in applications where you have to connect bare, soft aluminum to aluminum or copper, or where you have conditions of high current loading or cycling. These washers do wonders for accommodating thermal cycling,

Disk Spring Handbook

Disk Spring Calculator

"Your list is fairly complete but..."

Thanks, Beam.  Thought I was going crazy for a minute!

Personally, I always stake a nut that I don't want coming loose, though I've never done it like in the OP.  This should only be used when you really don't want the nut to work loose, though, as it can be a pain to undo.

If your working with stainless hardware just make sure the bolt and nut are very clean and the friction when you tighten will gall the two together!

The type of lockingnut can vary depending if the bolt is under tension or shear loading. Quite often a bolt loaded in shear only is only snug tight and tension load is a specific torque to achieve the required bolt stretch to keep the fastener from loosening. Classic example of this is engine headbolts or nuts and connecting rod nuts.

For high temperature applications mechanical locking, ( staked, piened, cotter pins, safety wired, lock tabs ) is necessary. For low temp applications ( nylocks, threadlocker, double nutting)

On aircraft there are castle nylocks, both nylon and a cotterpin, I have even seen on larger bolts where the bolt is hollow with a mechanical locking nut, then a smaller longer bolt goes thru the larger bolt with a large washer that keeps the large nut from coming off.

Of course Murphys law always rules!