I Forge Iron

What music do you forge to?

So, simple question, what music do you like to play when you're forging?

Zepplin? Bob Dilan? Bluegrass?

I've known people to beat metal to Slayer, and I always get tickled watching a Technicus Joe video with jazz playing over the top. It's a nice feel and adds a touch of class.

Me? If I'm hyper and full of energy, Irish rock. Say Flogging Molly, Pogues or Dropkick Murphys. If I'm feeling more mellow and gonna be at it awhile then classic rock or old school country. I can keep a nice rythm to Hank or Johnny Cash.

How about you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I listen, I tune into Radio Free Santa Fe which has a diverse play of music. Occasionally, I will hear some blues or 1940's / 1950's swing and pop (my era). Post Script. Stevie Ray Vaughn, live on!

Sayings and Cornpone

"Welders run the risk of being tacky."

Frank Turley

Chris LeDoux, Guy Clark, Gary P. Nunn, Arlo, Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Don Edwards, John Prine, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Steve Earl, Warren Zevon, .....

Or sometimes, my "Girls that can sing" mixed discs, ... EmmyLou harris, Nanci Griffith, Iris DeMent, Joan Baez, Allison Krauss .....

Then there are Grateful Dead marathon days, ... and Jimmy Buffett days, too.

Chris LeDoux, Guy Clark, Gary P. Nunn, Arlo, Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Don Edwards, John Prine, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Steve Earl, Warren Zevon, .....

Or sometimes, my "Girls that can sing" mixed discs, ... EmmyLou harris, Nanci Griffith, Iris DeMent, Joan Baez, Allison Krauss .....

Then there are Grateful Dead marathon days, ... and Jimmy Buffett days, too.

I hear ya, brother. There Townes Van Zandt days too...

Seen John Prine and Iris a couple of years ago in concert, great show!

A thumpin beat for production. Sometimes it's the PH.  When things are really busy it's fascinating to hear how hammer blow timing

can unconsciously sync with the beat and provide an internal pace. 

The slaves rowed to the beat of the drum

No slaves here. 

Happy 4th

107.7 The Bone out of San Francisco.

Between the earplugs and the pounding, can't really hear anything but hard rock/metal music.

Can't follow the stories on NPR. Can't really hear the ballads or softer music on the classic rock station.

I have radio earmuffs but the shop seems to be an excellent EM shield, I ran a magnetic antenna high on a wall and CAN get FM. Anyway, I listen to oldy moldy rock, No rap, some blues and NPR has me doing shop work so I can hear Prairie Home Companion. Largely, the forge drowns most everything out.

I've listened to some: Within Temptation, Heather (something), Dragon Force and other pretty cool stuff but my MP3 is only good for a few songs and finding a place to download online without paying a bunch is a hassle, that and I'm really not into dodging the artist's making an honest living. So. . .

Frosty The Lucky.

I like to open to everything...
One day it'll be classic rock, day two top 40, next best of the 70s, then classical, maybe a day of silence, then AM radio, death metal, country, blues, jazz, swing..... It's all good. :)