I Forge Iron

What music do you forge to?

Nothing. I forge outdoors, and I always wear clamshell ear protection.

What????? Huh?????

Too late for me. No power hammer, so unless I'm grinding, ear pro's not as much of an issue; but the Army got a lot of my hearing, so classical, folk, or rockabilly, my music has to be LOUD.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yall've got some good tastes, diverse too. Sadly my shop kills any device that plays tapes or CDs ... Indescrimently , and I Love Music - was in a band for 10+ yrs.

I'm stuck with the radio and am lucky to have a decent rock and ok country station but sometimes the work stays in the forge too long because I can't tolerate more than two awfull songs in a row. My typical day goes ~ righty tighty (AM talk radio), change the station change the station change the station change the station, lefty loosey (NPR).

So does anyone have a solution for shop grit floating into their electronics?
What about the wireless hot spot I've heard of ?
I did keep an I pod working for almost 2 yrs in a zip lock.

There is one pop song that I like though I don't know the name, it is about not grabbing the hot end to the bar and the chorus goes
"whoo whoo whoo, yah yah yea ... Holding on to black metal"

Local radio stations like KAXE out of Grand Rapids Mn. a listener supported station with paid and volunteer DJ's. Wide range of music, NPR news that tells you more, local programs that listeners call in on. One of my favorites "Car Talk" with Click & Clack was discontinued because they retired. Another great program "Green Cheese" which listeners call in on trivia questions. All  around great station.

Ok I don't listen to music when hammering, but it happens that I am in my workshop, hand sanding and polishing knives.

In that case I usually listen to 80s rock, or something like Johnny Cash.

Or from time to time I listen to podcasts of Pastor Mark Gungor.

Traditional Irish folk, British folk, some bluegrass. Love instrumental Irish songs too. I've got an assortment of very conservative Christian songs too. On Saturdays I listen to thistle and shamrock Irish radio. If I'm forging late at night, I like to listen to the classical on the radio.

If I'm doing serious layout, forging to dimensions, and that sort f thing, I keep the music off. It's too easy to get measurements mixed up if you ar singing "by the rising of the moon" while you are working.

Local radio stations like KAXE out of Grand Rapids Mn. a listener supported station with paid and volunteer DJ's. Wide range of music, NPR news that tells you more, local programs that listeners call in on. One of my favorites "Car Talk" with Click & Clack was discontinued because they retired. Another great program "Green Cheese" which listeners call in on trivia questions. All  around great station.

What???!!! You miss a few saturdays... :(

I have one of our old computers set up to listen to music and watch demo DVDs. As to what music, well, I was a 70s teenager so listened to Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc, but my music tastes have been pretty progressive over the years,. Anything from Blues, Reggae, Ska, Grunge,. Metal, New Wave pretty much most things except Country and Pop. I'm currently listening to Punk and Hardcore, Alternative Metal and Drum and Bass in the workshop.

I must be odd, because I don't listen to music while I'm forging or just in my shop.  I like the silence and I like to hear the sounds of my shop. Maybe, that's the music I listen to.  The sounds of me working.   Once in awhile, I notice I haven't turned off one of my machines, because I can hear it through the silence.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

mostly Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Skálmöld, heavy metal music for heavy metal workin, great to stay in rythm while hammering, and pass time when waiting for large stock to heat up.

Also keeps me pumped up after 5 good hours of forging, without that i think i'd be worn out