I Forge Iron

Best blacksmith techniques teacher

Brian Brazeal, MS
His hammer techniques are differrent than most in the US.
Uses the edges of the hammer face as the pien
He gets the job done very fast but he can do jewlery with a 4# hammer also

I've attended two Elmer Roush classes, found his technique very pure, He is very good at reproducing histroical pieces, and has amazing hammer control. And he is a true gentlemen as well.

Brian Brazeal with no competition for first place!

Brian's classes are technique, not project classes so you spend 100% of your one-on-one class learning new things. His techniques are different from anything I've seen, faster than anything I've seen, more effective than anything I've seen, and are less tiring than anything I've seen. (Or done!) I took a seven day class from him several weeks back, and I think it is safe to say that, after implementing the techniques he taught me, my work production has doubled.
If I could, I'd buy a house next to his!

A long time ago someone on the forum said "Brian Brazeal is the best technical smith in the country." He was right!

I would vote for Jay Close, he worked at Colonial Williams Burg for many years. He has a wonderful understanding of how to move metal where you want it. He can clearly instruct people from bare beginners to advanced smiths. His organized teaching greatly helped me progress. Lately I think he has been working to help wright a curriculum from ABANA.

My vote goes to Brian Breazel also, all his blueprints, youtube videos, how-to's, etc...are like candy to me, .
I learn something inspiring every time.
Honesty, generosity and humble are just a few words that comes to mind when watching this man work.
I only wish I was closer, I would sign up for a class with Brian for sure.

I've only had the pleasure of taking a few clinics and I vote for Brian too. His technique is really effective and you haven't lived till you watch a man forge a gold ring with a 4lb hammer.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree it is impossible to pick a "best". I learned a lot taking a course from Tom Latane. Even though the work I do these days is VERY different from the type of work he does, I feel what I learned from him helps me today. He does teach some lockmaking classes which don't have a lot of forging in them but other classes do have more forging.

I've got little experience learning from anyone else, but I really can't imagine a better teacher than Brian, except for the combination of Brian & Lyle. My week there was the most productive educational experience I've had in my life, regardless of the subject matter.

I've been fortunate to take classes with David Robertson, Bill Epps, Jay Burham Kidwell, and Mark Aspery. With all the talent in the US I have to be realistic, but for my experience, it's rare to have a quality smith, who is also a good presenter and effective instructor, Mark Aspery is all of these. I plan to take a course with Brian someday, but I liked Marks class so much, I went back for another one. I also would like to go to Turleys school as well. But if Mark Aspery is teaching near me, he is where I want to go.

I have not seen Brian teaching except here on the forum... I am sure that he is GREAT though! Of those I have seen personally I would have to say that Mark Aspery is clearly the best! He has a real gift for teaching the basics at such a high level that they really exceed basic understanding. He is a very skilled smith and a truly talented teacher with lots of experience! It seems SO simple when Mark explains it!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd never turn down a chance to work with anyone who may teach me something, but if we're talking hypothetically, I'd love a chance to go back in time and spend a day with Paw-Paw Wilson.
I loved the sense of humor that came accross in his writing and was sad to learn he passed away before I ever lit my first fire. He seemed like he'd be fun to have a few steaks with.

My second choice would be Beth. Any smith can teach me the craft, but I like how she finds the artistic quality in everyday objects. I'd love to be able to teach my mind to think more that way.
(Not to mention it would mean a dream trip to England!) ;)

Brian Brazeal! A great teacher who learns because he teaches. His methods are the most efficient I have seen. I was lucky enough to spend a few days with he and his brother Ed Brazeal who is an amazing smith as well. Simply amazing to see Brian and Ed move metal.

I have had the opportunity to host both Mark and Brian at my shop. Mark came for 2 week long classes and Brian did a weekend hammer making class. Both of these men are dedicated to teaching the craft. I have also taken 3 week long classes at the Tannehill shop through the Alabama Forge Council with Ernie Dorrill. Ernie is one passionate craftsman when it comes to teaching the Gothic style of metalwork.