I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

Not doing much work, so here is my shop. On the left side is an unfinished forge chimney and I have a vice outside for cutting long stock or if I must do a lot of grinding. The doors are made so I can have them opened but the dogs can't get inside. On the right side is my fine bench, where I can sit and write, draw, do leather work, assemble fine things. On the left side is my crude bench, where I can weld and grind and pound on, it is higher so I can stand and work. The small shop has its limitations on the size of things I can make but on the other hand everything is right there, it is cozy and it gets so warm in the winter I can sit in my t-shirt.

IMG_20210208_085553.jpg

IMG_20210208_085546.jpg

IMG_20210208_085537.jpg

IMG_20210208_085507.jpg

IMG_20210208_085444.jpg

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat in my shop isn't really a problem; it's xxxxxx cold here. -10°C or 14°F .... even in the summer, I got plenty tree coverage. but now; even with the heaters on, the concrete floor becomes uncomfortable cold fairly quick.

I recently added an industrial fatigue mat to the forging area of my shop. It's about 3/4" thick rubber with a nice grippy surface, and it's good for both insulation and cushioning.

(And letting you know when and where you've dropped something hot!)

Nice space there Red Pedro! I'm looking to build something similar in a corner of the yard, and free up the patio for the family. Did you build yours (assuming you built it) as a pole barn, with the posts sunk in the ground or concrete?  I don't suppose drainage is much of an issue where you are.  Slowly moving out all the dirt to get ready for drainage gravel.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Let it get going better or step on the hot steel. Stepping on hot steel warms up my foot almost every time, provided I can stand the smell. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmmmm the smell of burning rubber mixed with bacon in the morning :D

Here is the inside.  The fire pit has 1” tuyere feeding 100 com booster fan.  My 132lb steel anvil delivery for today was delayed by weather.  Pic is after I moved one gallon of coals to smoker for chicken.  Tried to punch through tongs with drift but failed so drilled instead.  Will wait for anvil before completing tongs, material is heavy 3/4” metal that I need to taper handles.  Instead chainsaw carved more on my djembe drum in foreground.
  image.thumb.jpeg.eff996f91b2fee24723c7894eafe3141.jpeg

I aint sat in a drum circle in years. I gave my Djembe to my daughter a while back. The last time i played it i was, lets just say i was in an altered state of mind and wore a hole through the head. It took sometime but she finally found someone that knew how to replace the skin. Oh i should mention it was a traditional African Djembe with goat skin head. She took my Dumbeck years before. I actually bought the Djembe hoping she would give that back, now she just has both. 

We were at a show one year in Alpine valley. Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart came out and sat with us for an hour or so before they had to go on. 

Anywho, the shop. One of them old 1950's garages that is too small for a car. It also aint that clean and some changes have been made. Like my forge hood, but basically here it is in all its glory:

20201123_142105.thumb.jpg.3550300beadd2f094946c5a0a943f49e.jpg

20200605_185313.thumb.jpg.b00ebf89137c0b3ec7664a8ebd5a3451.jpg

20200605_185251.thumb.jpg.54d10349d8cc201d10010cde3469429b.jpg

Mr. Bones, Mickey Hart is one of the greatest living musicians, he traveled extensively to drum with the masters.  My drumhut forge was built 10 years ago by me and will fit about 11 drummers but it usually accommodates my best friend only.  By adding the variable speed tuyere the fire pit temp and smokiness can be more accurately controlled, good for forging, leisure drumming, woodcarving, or mancaving.  That’s a nice looking metal hood above your forge, I want build a similar one above my fire pit but cover it in rock with 3 arches like the   sketch.   image.thumb.jpeg.ea566088528913b777d8c399a942a6fa.jpeg

On 2/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Next a discussion on how Irish Step Dancing evolved!

Old-style step dancing

Old-style step dancing is sometimes called "Munster-style sean-nós". Old-style step dancing evolved in the 17th-18th century from the dancing of travelling Irish dance masters. The dance masters slowly formalized and transformed both solo and social dances. Modern masters of old-style step dancing style can trace the lineage of their steps directly back to 18th century dancers.

The Irish Dance masters refined and codified indigenous Irish dance traditions. Rules emerged about proper upper body, arm, and foot placement. Also, dancers were instructed to dance a step twice—first with the right foot then with the left. Old-style step dancers dance with arms loosely (but not rigidly) at their sides. They dance in a limited space. There is an emphasis on making percussive sound with the toes. The Irish dance masters of this period also choreographed particular steps to particular tunes in traditional music creating the solo traditional set dances such as the Blackbird, St. Patrick's Day, and the Job of Journey Work, which also persist in modern Irish stepdancing. In this context, "set dance" signifies a separate tradition from the social dance tradition also called set dance.

Modern stepdance

The most predominant form of Irish Stepdance is that popularised by the Broadway show Riverdance, and other Irish dancing stage shows since the late 20th century. Characterised by a rigid torso and dances performed high on the balls of the feet, this style became distinct from the late 19th century when the Gaelic League began efforts to preserve and promote Irish dance as part of a broader nationalist movement concerned with Irish culture. Although a rigid torso may be the initial characterization of Irish dance, modern soft shoe Irish ballerinas commonly gracefully use their arms in flowing movements, abandoning the traditional form. It is not uncommon for hard shoe dancers to use their arms in strict hand formations other than arms at sides. In 1929, the League formed An Coimisiun Le Rinci Gaelacha (CLRG, The Irish Dancing Commission) in order to codify and standardise stepdancing competition and education. Over the following decades, CLRG expanded globally, and promoted this particular form of stepdance by developing examinations and qualifications for teachers and competition adjudicators. Today, stepdance in the style codified by the Gaelic League is performed competitively in a number of countries, and under the auspices of a number of organisations which have at various times broken away from CLRG.

Will-I-am - awesome shop.

Then there is the Irish steep dance, a slow rocking back and forth whilst waiting for your first pot of tea to be ready to drink after last nights over indulgence.  Arms are loose or cradling a down hanging head.

(Hey, I have a grandson name Jameson though I never asked why...)