I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/22/2018 at 7:16 AM, ausfire said:

Had a bit of wasted space below our blacksmith shop

You even have wasted space? It IS heaven down there haha. 

Awesome stuff Aus. You could build some parts to fix up a couple of those post vises ya know. :) always love the pictures of your piece of heaven. 

Grandpa, nice clean shop. 

Demoed at the Nowthen threshing show. Nice area to work in. Heres some pics of it and my work space. The steam tractors where lined right next to us. The pic only ahows half of them .  At noon they all blew there whistles for 5 minutes. Very cool!

20180818_082132-1.jpg

20180818_082204-1.jpg

20180818_082244-1.jpg

20180818_082314-1.jpg

20180818_082052-1.jpg

Seeing all this nice shops great equipment and fantastic environments (farms, museums) triggered me to add some pictures of my finished shop to. First of all, congrats to my smith brothers with there shops.

Next to my professional occupation (50h/w as an HSEQ-auditor for a notified body) I try to spend some (most of the) free time in the shop near to my family. The ‘buildings’ (shed & capsuled carport) are putted down by me. Accept the anvils, plasma cutting & welding equipment, most of the tongs/hardy’s & hammers and the casting crucibles everything else is designed and build by myself.

With my disorder and being a ‘control XXX’  I didn’t build only one of the items but (at least) two, to have some spare or replacement in case of-_-.

Started with the shed first, how is used for the ‘dirty’ work now  -like coal forging (chisels + hardening), teamwork with a  striker, heavy grinding and preparing the casting moulds for lost wax casting (what a mess) and placed the smaller (most used) melting furnace there and the used/hot mobile coal forge to cool down after class.

Put the most valuable stuff in the carport like the plasma cutter and the welder (MIG/MAG, TIG & Stick) the noisy power hammer and the two gas forges. Same for mobile vice and light (and easy to steal) 150lbs anvil and my bronze/copper stock. The air bank and compressors are situated in my garage (without any space for a car no more) and if I forgot to mention -that I fear a lack of space very soon :((one of the reasons to make the casting equipment mobile and easy to reshuffle)

And guys, pleeeeeeeeeeeease no comments that -it is much to clean :blink: there .............

Cheers, Hans

DSC00620.JPG

DSC00652.JPG

DSC00654.JPG

DSC00655.JPG

DSC00656.JPG

DSC00657.JPG

DSC00658.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

Well, since we are sharing.  Here's my new temporary set-up until I can get the shop addition built.  The forge rolls out the door but everything else can stay where it is finally!  I used to have to roll everything outside through the garage door.  I just cleaned, so it was a terrible mess before I switched everything around

IMG_0213.thumb.JPG.cda35cbe2441ea04d47acbfa45c86af1.JPG

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.828d2a98af8ba6fa922c33f7488ee579.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some excellent shop's on here. I thought I would post a photo of mine. 

I only put it together last weekend in a very limited space, a 10 foot by 10 foot storage container. The anvil has been a garden decoration in my mum's garden for the last 30 years. It's in quite good condition and has about a 50% rebound. No markings on it that I can find, the swage block I found buried in an old quarry, its very rough but free is free. 

All in all a very compact and simple forge and considering the only smiting I have done is 4 1 day courses making the usuall coat hooks, flowers and tongs it's probably all I need. my workshop is next door with a grinder, mig and arc welders and pillar drill so I have a few more toys if I need them as my skill level grows. 

20180825_084117.jpg

• 4 weeks later...