I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

Not a shop, but a key part of a shop. Decided I was fed up with chasing down rivets, nuts, bolts and washers spread across various drawers, boxes, bags, jars and too many of those fiddly small plastic draw things. So I picked up a bunch of industrial “pigeon hole” shelving as salvage and giving them a spruce up. 

7C6A1C52-2993-42A3-B114-96355E9BAF65.jpeg

53DBA96F-5037-4B2D-98E3-3082B3965A3F.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shop build update:

90% there. Moving in. Nothing bolted down yet.

Yet to screw on steel panels for interior. Gas forge area will be concrete board with a parged finish.

Laying out a built-in workbench atm.  

KIMG3268.JPG

KIMG3272.JPG

KIMG3355.JPG

KIMG3356.JPG

KIMG3352.JPG

You must've gotten a good deal on that steel pipe! The shops looking good. I'm sure you're tired of hearing me say this but you might want to work in it a while before you start bolting things down. 

This I KNOW I've told you before, that is a world class view! A shop on a hill side in Heaven is my impression. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Free pipe, the best kind.;) I've often wished I'd lived where I could've stored the drill casing we bent on the job. I was an exploration driller for bridges & foundations doing soil sampling and in field tests. All our casing was threaded DOM mechanical tubing in 5' joints. Counting blows per foot was the major part of the data we collected. Nothing bends a string like glancing off a boulder. It all went to the scrapper, well what we could retrieve that is, we left a LOT of steel in the ground.

Criminy just the mention of drilling brings back my 19 years in vivid NOISE. Counting blows all day every day is probably why I count everything: our stairs are 15 steps, it's 34 paces to the shop, 37 to the barn, 26 to the wood shed, etc. 

How's the fishing in Finger Lake? There's no telling if I'll get down that way one of these days.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:13 PM, Frosty said:

How's the fishing in Finger Lake? There's no telling if I'll get down that way one of these days.

Slow over the last couple weeks. It's been hot with no rain and the fish have gone deep and aren't moving for much.

More weight on the dynamite? 

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I do the same thing on counting, part of a minor case of OCD according to my wife.

I suppose saying something like. . . Nah honey, I've just been counting to ten so often since getting married it's a habit. . .  might be ill-advised?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Here's my future shop for smithing, all I got so far!

3RlAfhO.png

Now I have a garage shop, but it's full already.

19465534072_7871c3ce9b_b.jpg

Once inside the garage port, woodworking section:

3h1AvG8.jpg

Behind the plastic drape, metalworking:

WpE8vHA.jpg

Not finding any good images of my shop, but I guess here you can see there's another room, keep my welder there, and other stuff. There's a lathe hidden behind the mill.

m3nQ8ak.png

Vew from the lathe:

KCcQiLN.jpg

On 8/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, DennisCA said:

I meant "Now, I have a garage shop, but it's full already."

Heh, heh, heh, Mine was getting crowded before I got the roof on. That's a nice looking shop, you have some nice machine tools, they deserve a shop of their own. The smoke and such from a blacksmith's shop is hard on machine tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good looking shop; you thinking of screening it in?

My neighbors have horses so we see a lot of flies; generally they make the mistake of jumping up into the dragon's breath when they land on my arm to bite...  I had to put chickenwire in my open gables to keep the blasted collared doves from trying to nest in the shop and making a mess.

I was thinking it reminded a lot of several "old" smithies built in hot weather locals; basically a roof to shed the rain and the rest as open as possible.  Out here we would have adobe walls and a shade  structure of loose poles supported on a post and beam structure.  Of course we get cold winters due to altitude in many places. I'm down in the Rio Grande valley and we're at about 4600'. I can see 10K' from my front door as the valley is bordered by mountains.

Yeah I’m located in north Louisiana so heat and humidity are just about a constant with 2-3 nice cold months out of the year. It’s also located on a downward slope and catches a nice breeze pretty well. I modeled it after a picture in The Blacksmiths Craft by Charles McRaven.