I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've seen a bomb disposal guy who wasn't wearing that jacket or T shirt, it's a classic. I joked with a bomb disposal guy at a day long class about how to deal with that sort of thing. DOT highways maint. personnel are part of the disaster and emergency response plans so we got some interesting training. If too brief, mostly we learned how to ID potential explosion hazards and how far to keep people away. Nope that is NOT far enough, you can still see it on the horizon!

Anyway, I joked with the fellow holding the class about the front of his jacket should read, "If you see me running get out of my way!" He laughed but I don't think it caught on.

A long fuse lets you light it from a distance with clear room to run. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Natkova, that is a stunning shop..   Lots of great work could be produced in a 10x10ft shop.  the trailer is only 8x8x10 and a great work platform for everything other than gates.. 

Alexandr It's so incognito..   I would never expect a shop to be inside that both produces such quality work and at quantity..  

That ain't messy Nat, you should see my shop. I could work there with little adjustment, no problem. My drill bit secret is to pick up empty drill indexes when I see them at yard, garage, etc. sales, they never cost much, who wants a drill index without bits in it? I keep the full from the coffee can of dull and stumbled on lost bits. Before I retired from I used to visit the equipment shops and harvest the dull and broken drill bits. They don't sharpen them, it costs less to buy in bulk and replace them than the labor to sharpen them so I put a coffee can behind the drill presses for dull and broken bits. I have I don't know how many bits, several 3lb. coffee cans full however many that is. One is all long bits.

Even though Dad taught me to sharpen drill and lathe bits at a young age and I  maintain the skill I have a Drill Doctor, it does a nearly perfect job in seconds and the stone is ultra fine grit so the edges last longer. I bought the Drill Doctor at a yard sale for almost nothing a long time ago from. The guy who was selling it thought you're supposed to turn the bit while sharpening it and it of course ruined every bit. If he'd read the directions he could've easily fixed every bit he screwed up, I got those too.

Sorry, I do get going on sharpening drill bits eh?

Well, I gotta talk about something nothing I own looks as good as Alex's shop, the pics of inside are organized and clean. It's easy to see why he can produce so much high quality work, someone who can keep that much equipment tools and materials in order is mentally equipped to use it at that level.

Frosty The Lucky.

WEll it goes for all tools in shop.

Same things i think i will make some cabinet drawer that will go under bellows.
I was thinkin to make frame out of square  metal tubes and than to make drawers out of wood , and maybe sides of cabinet sheet metal, it will go good under bellows i mean it will fit and you can just pull drawers out if you need some tools , dont need even to end under blellow like i do with my tool  chest.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

On 10/24/2022 at 5:10 PM, Frosty said:

Well, I gotta talk about something nothing I own looks as good as Alex's shop, the pics of inside are organized and clean

Jer !

Forced to keep the workshop and the surrounding area clean and tidy. Customers visit frequently. They look at the workshop and the garden. The other day I covered the roof in a paint brush with metal. For our climate, in winter, a plastic roof is not suitable, it is very slippery. Snow must be removed regularly, which is unsafe.

IMG_20221028_101644.jpg

IMG_20221028_124924.jpg

IMG_20221028_112530.jpg

IMG_20221028_110113.jpg

Even if it weren't for frequent visitors, the quality and quantity of work you do would require you keep your shop clean and organized Alex. As much as I'd love light panels in my shop roof they don't make any that match the steel and winter is really hard on plastic.

Before the accident I used to spray the house roof with car wash/wax every couple years and the snow hardly accumulated, an inch or two and it'd slide right off. The downside was having to walk on, a 4 1/2 in 12 pitch is bad enough but waxy? Happily in 25 years I've only had to go up or send someone up maybe 4 times. 

Frosty The Lucky.