I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

So far seems excellent.  Face plate is RC 56 approx.  Anvil 90 kilos, stand close to 120 kilos.  This is my first prototype, and I will make some adjustments in the next one.  I would like to market these if I can sort out the shipping logistics.  

For the next go think about making the stand with the wood pieces oriented vertically, (any internal layers of steel as well if they do not have a full penetration weld between layers).

There is some flex between boundaries and so with them vertical you have anvil:stand + stand:floor rather than  stand:top layer, top layer:second layer, second:3rd , 3rd:4th,....11:12th, 12:floor.  If it's solid then it's the same amount of wood; just cut differently.

15 hours ago, neilyeag said:

Yes this is solid, Kind of put together like a big steel sandwich.  1 1/2" steel plate.  

@neilyeag sorry but from what I can tell the weld seams in the back or heel show vertical lines..  So this is a composite  or a laminated anvil with plates welded together to get the size and mass?  and then the top plate welded on?

Were the plates used in the base through welded or just around the blocks as a perimeter weld? Were the welds scarfed out? Gouged for a deeper penetration weld bead?

Was the top plate heat treated after welding  or was the whole thing welded out of the same material as the face?  

Inquiring minds would like to know.. :) 

Yep, I kind of thought about this after it was all done.  The top two layers of the stand are oriented at 90 degrees, but should have made them grain up.  But this is removable so I could change it.  The rest of the stand is kind of like a box.  It is filled with gravel and sand.  So it is pretty darn solid.  

See the other reply on the anvil.  

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

Have you done a ball bearing test?

Not yet, will check that out in a couple of weeks when I am back up country.  

image.png

On 12/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, Origins of Iron said:

Brand spanking new JHM Legend, 215#. Sooo nice to work on after my old, gifted 83# Trenton. 

JHM.jpg.203f1830298cf4c31ee038a215de0053.jpgJHM.jpg.203f1830298cf4c31ee038a215de0053.jpg

Hey Biggundoctor...I know what you mean; just got mine 3 days ago and it's sweet! I'll be bolting to the 1" plate this weekend!

Love the story of grandfather's anvil, in the uncle's shed, nice find. When I was little, I thought there was a monster in my grandparents basement. Here in the states 255# is borderline monster. Should have looked for the monster in the shed, live and learn. 

N.N.F.             Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

I acquired these two Italian Anvils last year. The little one is 31 lbs and the bottom one is 140 lbs. I’m gping to build a stand for the bigger one and put it to work this month. The little one is forged and the bigger one is cast most likely from the 50’s? It’s a SFB if anyone here has any info it would be most appreciated. 

56E679E4-626D-483B-9848-62C58FCFF16E.jpeg

2AD5B663-04A4-4826-A012-4D392EB85C88.jpeg

These are Italians , one of the main   Differences is that the French have a side exiting hardy and the Pritchel Hole is in the flat horn where the Italian patterns have the pritchel on the round horn with hardy on the flat horn . During certain time periods it seems they shared a similar style “pigs” feet . I believe the more recent style Italian patterns have a more blocky  style base as you pointed out. I’m far from an expert , but I did become familiar with these while traveling and working in Italy. 

On 1/7/2018 at 2:36 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

neilyeag, that wood in the base looks beautiful, what kind is it? 

It is a local wood called Mae Daeng.  Very heavy and dense.  It is tough to even drill a pilot hole for a screw!  So perfect for this application. 

1 hour ago, upsetter said:

These are Italians , one of the main   Differences is that the French have a side exiting hardy and the Pritchel Hole is in the flat horn where the Italian patterns have the pritchel on the round horn with hardy on the flat horn .

Nice thanks..  I forgot about the side mounted hardie holes on the French models.. 

• 4 weeks later...