I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

21 hours ago, JHCC said:

Why not offer both?

Too busy in my shop so for now it is H13, there seems to be a lot of interest! 

21 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

My only other suggestion would be to up the size to at least 150# as that is a good starting size for a shop.

I have a couple larger ones in the works. Stay tuned

Foundry guy, thanks for taking on casting a quality product. Their acualy is a market in the USfor such things as swage blocks, cone mandrels and such leg vices come to mind, but I think that’s a drop forge type product) One either has to find them used (forged in fire and action Fever has made that real expensive) or import them from India. Yes I know that Saltfork and some other blacksmith associations have some cast but they are small artists types not large industrial types.

Thank you for the words. Remember, many companies import castings that say Made in USA on them. Dake Press, in my hometown, has been doing it for decades. They assemble presses in Grand Haven but all the castings are from China with Made in USA cast on them. 

One other thing to think of: you are casting a premium material but using the most common form here in the USA.  Have you looked at other anvil shapes that may be rarer and so "open the wallets" a bit easier.  (For Example look at the Nimba anvils being made and the old German anvils being imported; definitely a market niche for high dollar anvils!)

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, foundryguy said:

The heel was cast as is when we found the old pattern.

Would you know if that would happen to be a pattern from the anvil maker "Brooks"? Your anvils sure have their characteristic thick heel! I see their patterns for sale every now and then on Uk ebay, I've often been tempted to buy one and have a go at casting one.

No sir. It was a new mahogany pattern that one of our pattern makers made and was never run. I bet i looked at it for 25 years on a shelf in the back room. After several recent requests for anvils  i decided to run a few. I have no idea who, why or when it was made?  

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

For Example look at the Nimba anvils being made and the old German anvils being imported; definitely a market niche for high dollar anvils!

I did look at their website, very cool shapes and top dollar prices. I pour 8640 but i am going to stick with H13.  No new shapes in the works, just a couple larger models. I want to be clear, i do not plan on going into the anvil business, just sharing what I am upto and only making a few. I am fortunate to have a foundry at my disposal every day! 

1 hour ago, foundryguy said:

No sir. It was a new mahogany pattern that one of our pattern makers made and was never run. 

I can't help you with when or why it was made other than it looks incredibly similar to anvils made by Brooks, except it has a slightly longer horn, however as far as I'm aware Brooks anvils have always been made in the UK.  Either way it's presence at your pattern makers seems to have worked out nicely for you, they're great, clean looking castings!

That depends on what your goal was. If you wanted to make something that looks kind of like a stereotypical anvil, you did very well. If you wanted to make something that performs well as an anvil, you would have done much better to stand it on end. 

10 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

Hmm. Looks like a bit of shinyish RR track.

It was all rested to crap and i sanded and ground the crap out of it. I wanted it smooth on the top

10 minutes ago, JHCC said:

That depends on what your goal was. If you wanted to make something that looks kind of like a stereotypical anvil, you did very well. If you wanted to make something that performs well as an anvil, you would have done much better to stand it on end. 

I think it will work. Im going to go to a bunch of farm auctions this spring/summer to find a good anvil