I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_4486.thumb.JPG.2190752374f577978bb15d119f35533e.JPG

Main shop anvil. 260# Czech double horn.  

Block is set 2 feet  in concrete below grade. Through bolted pinch plates hold anvil  really tight and kills the ring.

50# sawyers anvil on floor for upsetting long bars

IMG_4483.thumb.JPG.12ff10655fb4678a8371bba04fadfa15.JPG

200# cast Swedish anvil.  The anvil  is held tight to block with forged straps . Block bolted into power hammer foundation .

This anvil had several deep torch cuts when I got it. The cuts were welded up by a friend who is a certified industrial  welder.

I'm not sure what process he used but the repair is perfect and the anvil is very hard and rang like a bell before I strapped it down .

The repair has held up with  years of heavy use.

This used to be my main shop anvil but is now mounted between the 100# hammer and my layout table.

It mostly gets used for straightening or secondary operations after the work goes through the power hammer or for final tweeking during assembly on the table

IMG_4488.thumb.JPG.2362ac52a049efb1651ec76ffada3d5e.JPG

140# Peter Wright. Held tight with fitted straps at corners of the feet.

Block is bolted to concrete footing.

This anvil is set higher than normal and is useful for small work close to the fire.

IMG_4490.thumb.JPG.d6802ebdeebbae11e3a2995aaaed95da.JPG

40#  anvil , maybe a Hay Budden.  Strapped down tight and  base plate is lagged to concrete floor with lag shields. 

This solid mounting made all the difference in effectiveness for such a small anvil.

This is mostly used for cold work in the machine shop.

IMG_4491.thumb.JPG.96e7b972fb01d987b0f7c621b32f9190.JPG

60# Czech double horn stake anvil.

This is the only one that is moveable but it can be screwed down to the shop floor if needed.

This is mostly used for sheet metal work.  

The deep vertical mass under the center of the anvil makes this quite effective for it's weight

I've told myself to stop it; but I wasn't able to resist:

TAnvilInUsingModeCrpd.jpg.e39f77090b608796f2cc6f6f12778579.jpg

TAnvilCrpd.jpg.5766e2d4e7954f9995cf61df57c73a95.jpg

TAnvilInBaseCrpd.thumb.jpg.857b914f8b4f128d81e20a575c48cdb0.jpg

Now to remember exactly where I've seen this type before...durn TBI.   Anyway it makes the second anvil I have bought on Craigs list.  It was in the edge of a picture from an antique sale and I sat on my hands for a week---fairly easy as they were only open when I was at work in a foreign country.  Tonight I was going to the used bookstore and thought I would at least track the place down as it was 1 block out of my way. Anyway the store was closed but the owner was doing the books for the day in it and there was a phone number on the sign.  I just wanted to know the price so I'd know if I should come back Saturday; but when she heard I was outside she opened up and let me look at it. Such a sweet loud *TING*! it had and  substantially below my buy price even with the age damage to the stand.  It's sitting in my kitchen...

I plan to build a replica stand for it so I can use it...