I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

Thanks Glenn II for the idea of forging the bottle openers on the diagonal. I have always done them on the flat of the square, but I do like the clean lines of the diagonal. I did these today … sometimes it's good just to keep things simple.

diagonal openers1.JPG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's another variation on the 'cobropener'. I wanted to get a scale pattern … this done with a cutting wheel, nicks on each edge and twisted tightly. Mouth takes  bit of tweaking but it works!

cobropener1.JPG

cobropener2.JPG

I finally have my forge up and running. And... I made a thing. Aside from a couple of nails, this is the first real usable things I have made.

About a year ago I saw an opener back on page 45 by VaughnT that really inspired me. There's a world of difference between the one he made and I made... meaning that his is pretty and mine has a sort of dog poop sort of vibe, but hey, it's mine and I made it. I did it from memory and so there's some differences which I will fix the next time out. Sadly, I am out of gas until payday, so I can't make another one yet.

But I know for next time to not cut off so much material until I am sure I don't need it. In Vaughn's version, it has enough length to allow a graceful bend back to the slot. I got my tip through the hole and had all sorts of extra, so I cut it off. I should have just backed it off, and let the length remain. Also, from an ergonomics point of view, his has a nice downward slope and then it straightens out along the spine. Lastly, I think I got carried away with the twist. All this pushing metal with relative ease (as compared to when it's cool) kinda went to my head and I lost count of how many twists I was on. Then it started to look like rope, and I went with it, and thought, I bet it looks even better with one more twist, and... here we have it. The punch thing was somewhat tricky, but I am sure that gets easier with practice.

MYX_Bottle_Opener_01_sm.jpg

That is a really cool little opener. It's stylish and functional … well done! I remember the one that Vaughn did because I copied it to my 'inspirations' file. Never did get round to trying one. I'm inspired again.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the "stairway" twist by only cutting it on two sides like half of a cube twist?  Nearly forgot to mention how nice and clean they both look. Was the copper done with a brush at heat?

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Yes, the stairway twist (others might have a different name) has a light line cut down each face and then cuts made to meet those lines on two opposite corners only. The cube twist is done cutting in from all four corners. And yes, the gold is just a bit of burnishing with a fine brass brush (copper is a bit dark) while the steel is hot. Black heat only - red will vaporise brass.

ausfire, nice, especially the bottom one. I  like the way the top edge of the diamond splits, almost evenly, and moves around the top of the opener. That's a very subtle detail that really catches the eye. A small teardrop punch would clean that up nice. The devil's in the details.

I'm a big fan of being "on the diamond". It's a simple detail that separates forged from fab work. That "trick" even puts a simple "s" hooks into a category far above cheap imports turned "on the flat".

2 hours ago, John B said:

Well executed, but is this an appropriate twist for an item which has to be hand held?

I thought it might be a bit uncomfortable in use but I assumed he was making it  as a vehicle for the twist pattern and not necessarily to be used regularly. I guess a quick way to find out would be to ask. B.E. were you meaning to use it regularly or is it decorative?

Pnut

Edited by pnut

The point of the question was to try to make is that as blacksmiths, we should not assume, but get our facts together and act on them.

Many times I see items (usually made by people new to the craft) that do not seem to suitable for function, either comfort wise or safety wise.

This is not a criticism, merely a comment, and some may note and act on it, others ignore it.

If you are making it for your own enjoyment, then it's not a problem, however if you are making it to market, then safety and comfort become more important.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving day

• 2 weeks later...