I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Peavine, Lincoln, Prairie Grove, Fayetteville,  been around those parts; shoot I was born out there as well as my eldest daughter!   (During a full Moon in Springdale!)

I picked up a small blower like that from the "Black Hole in Los Alamos"; cept mine has AEC scratched into the paint....of course all the folks at the BHofLA have Geiger counters in their off hand(s).

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first time I disassembled one I put clamps on by advice from here, when cutting the bolt of it still went flying through the room, luckily the spring assembly didn't violently release their load. I'm really glad I read that you should put on clamps as I'm unsure of what would've happened if I hadn't.

Even if the springs are not attached to the vehicles there can still be a stress on them.

~Jobtiel 

This arrived in the mail yesterday: a 3D-printed prototype of a replacement stop collar for my fly press. It was made by a member of a robotics team coached by an old college friend. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, since I’ll have to disassemble the press a bit to get the collar into place, but if it performs as desired, we’ll see about machining one in steel. 

A7E57DF7-04FB-4B0C-82EA-E808AC265790.jpeg

9800B6C5-17AB-428F-BAAD-7CF009006116.jpeg

075068E6-01C6-4A0D-B0DC-E7410CF9CD7C.jpeg

need to get some pictures but was given an old tube radio cabinet to refurbish it. It has working inners and once I have the cabinet fixed the owner is letting me decide what happens to it. not sure what make or model but there is a stamping on the inside "10/36" and another "Neptune" so my guess is a 1937 model?

Made me sift through a bunch of console radio images looking for a name. Then I re-read an email from a friend who I pay Call of Cthulhu with who happens to have a masters degree in history. When he sets up a game in a time period it's loaded with accurate details, people, events, etc.

Anyway, out current game is taking place in 1927 and a lot of the story depends on detecting and tracking a radio signal / interference and. . . Anyway, a radio shop is one of the game locations and I had to read a bunch.

Long story short a 1927 radio shop typically had a store room full of various popular brand radio chassis, speakers, panels,  RCA, Motorola, Magnavox, Victrola, Philco, etc. The work room in the shop was typically a cabinet shop where custom furniture cabinetry was made. OR the chosen radio was fitted to the chosen cabinet. There were companies that just made cabinets too.  It wasn't until sometime in the 1940s after WWII IIRC that the big companies squeezed out the hundreds of little local shops and a person could buy a mass produced radio and cabinet say, Sears.

All those little neighborhood "radio" shops had names and put them in the cabinet, not ON them, IN. Putting your name in plan sight was considered tacky unless it was a name to be bragged about. It didn't matter if they were made in shop or a specialty shop, the radio store put their name in it or added theirs to.

I don't know what the chances are of finding information about your radio cabinet but I'm betting you'll need to track it to the place it was sold, maybe made. It could be a fun bit of research to find out what or where a "Neptune" radio console was made or sold. 

Frosty The Lucky.

If you have an idea of the area of location you might try checking old telephone books or city directories.  I'd start with the nearest town or city large enough to have a radio shop and work out from there.  My research into this kind of thing is all analog, e.g. going to the local library and actually looking in old phone and city directories.  Some or much may have been scanned and is now available on line.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I see you spent more time down the rabbit hole than I did this time around. I got really lost when Sean linked me so I could get up to speed for the game. I knew I recognized Neptune but searches didn't hit on anything relevant.  

Nice looking chisel. Whoever you are. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.